Take a break

Old December 24th 04, 01:23 PM
Polly Esther

Default Take a break

If you have a few minutes and need a break, do go look over at Marcia's
www.quilterscache.com and check out the pattern Squares within Squares 2.
It's a good, good block for beginners, one of those that doesn't require
a heap of accuracy and a great base for doing all sorts of interesting
things. I just tried it with 9 blocks (a Linus quilt) to see how it went.
The block is a keeper. The colors I chose are not. I used a soft yellow
print, a bright blue paisley with some purple in it and a medium purple.
Somehow, the purple turned all muddy on me.
Which certainly proves that testing a block *And* testing the colors is
worth the time. I would truly hate to make a queensize muddy quilt. Yuck
and phooey. Polly

Old December 24th 04, 03:41 PM
Diana Curtis

Its that tricky yellow/purple combo that snuck up on you. Better quilters
than you (or I) have been caught unawares by that finicky pairing. Bead
makers seem to have the same trouble. So, why do we keep trying? Irises..
crocuses...lilacs with their tiny yellow centers. Its a combination that
sings when we get it right.
Thanks for the heads up on the blocks.
Feliz Navidad to you, DH, Winston, the QIs.. et al
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too
.net...

Old December 24th 04, 04:50 PM
Polly Esther

I just had no idea that yellow/purple was tricky, assumed (yes, I know) that
they would certainly be big friends. Next time, I will be smarter. I really
will.
Off to make the inside mirrors sparkle. My own recipe. It will either
work or eat right through. Polly

Old December 25th 04, 11:56 AM
Roberta Zollner

Thanks Polly! What a lovely gift on the day! This would work up really fast.
And you're right about the colors.
Roberta in D

Old December 25th 04, 12:23 PM
Patti

I actually had time to go and look, Polly (DH did the veggies!)
What a great block. I do have one block quilt to make in the next six
months, so I am looking at blocks more than usual. Thanks for posting
the link.
Have a lovely day everyone.
..
In article , Polly
Esther writes
If you have a few minutes and need a break, do go look over at Marcia's
www.quilterscache.com and check out the pattern Squares within Squares 2.
It's a good, good block for beginners, one of those that doesn't require
a heap of accuracy and a great base for doing all sorts of interesting
things. I just tried it with 9 blocks (a Linus quilt) to see how it went.
The block is a keeper. The colors I chose are not. I used a soft yellow
print, a bright blue paisley with some purple in it and a medium purple.
Somehow, the purple turned all muddy on me.
Which certainly proves that testing a block *And* testing the colors is
worth the time. I would truly hate to make a queensize muddy quilt. Yuck
and phooey. Polly

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old December 25th 04, 02:30 PM
Polly Esther

Oh my soul. I do not even want to ponder what we would have if my DH did the
veggies. I do not, no I do not. It would begin with opening some cans and
petrifying them in the microwave. After that, it could really go down hill.
Polly

"Patti" wrote in message
I actually had time to go and look, Polly (DH did the veggies!)
What a great block. I do have one block quilt to make in the next six
months, so I am looking at blocks more than usual. Thanks for posting
the link.
Have a lovely day everyone.
.
In article , Polly
Esther writes

Old December 26th 04, 10:02 PM
Kate Dicey

Polly Esther wrote:

Oh my soul. I do not even want to ponder what we would have if my DH did the
veggies. I do not, no I do not. It would begin with opening some cans and
petrifying them in the microwave. After that, it could really go down hill.
Polly

DH did the whole Christmas dinner last year and it was wonderful. I did
it this year and it was nearly as good...

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old December 27th 04, 04:53 AM
Polly Esther

"Kate Dicey" wrote DH did the whole Christmas dinner last year and it
was wonderful.
. . . and Polly, in real awe responds, "Which proves that you are smarter
than most of us! Way to go, Kate. Wow." Polly

Old December 27th 04, 12:56 PM
Kate Dicey

Polly Esther wrote:

"Kate Dicey" wrote DH did the whole Christmas dinner last year and it
was wonderful.
. . . and Polly, in real awe responds, "Which proves that you are smarter
than most of us! Way to go, Kate. Wow." Polly

I was the talking cookbook, but he did all the work. I had, after all,
come out of hospital on Christmas Eve, after gall bladder extraction on
the 23rd! The menu was much the same as this year: smoked salmon,
followed by roast venison, roast spuds and steamed carrots and sprouts,
and traditional Christmas pud and cream. With something that simple,
you just need to be able to set oven temps and tell the time!