Dazor lights/magnifiers

Old November 19th 11, 02:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Dazor lights/magnifiers

"Sandy" wrote, in part
I usually do use the open-toed free-motion foot, unlike Polly. g I
find I have better visibility with that one, so I prefer it. The only
time the circular one is better is if I'm trying to do echo quilting;
the open-toed foot isn't exactly round, so the distance between quilting
lines can vary a bit. Sometimes that's not important.

I just may be the only quilter here who can stitch over my own foot - but I
can do it with the one that's horseshoe shaped. =) Polly

Old November 19th 11, 06:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IEZ[_2_]

"Steph" wrote in message
Hello,

I read consistently but don't post a lot, dropping in to say hi and
ask a question!

My Mom is thinking of getting a lighted magnifier. She saw someone
using one a quilting show and it looks like it would really help her
as she's learning free motion quilting. It's not an insignificant
purchase as far as $$ goes. There are several options - 3, 5 or more
diopters, different models, etc. I'm completely unfamiliar with
these.

Does anyone have any experience with these kinds of lights? Any info
would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Stephanie

I think I saw this somewhere and I believe the light is battery operated. I
don't know about you, but I would be hesitant to use a battery light because
I'm cheap about batteries. If it's an LED light, it probably doesn't take
much, but still.

The light I would get is the bendable bright light, available a lot of
places at highly variable prices. Here is the Amazon link (hope it works!)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...80N78RA9YGSXRC

I think I've seen it cheaper, but you get free shipping from Amazon. You
can also get an extra bracket to us it on more than one machine. The only
complaint I've heard is that you need to be careful where you place it,
maybe tape it to the machine temporarily to see where exactly you want the
bracket. No magnifier, but good light.

I am a light fanatic. That thing Polly said about dragging a highway light
pole into the sewing room? Whoa, if only I could! Even with the Janome
Horizon that supposedly has such great light, I need more. I have four and
sometimes five (!) lights clamped to my two abutting tables that contain my
Bernina and the Horizon. I swing them where I need them and STILL I want
more. So I may be buying that bright light. Ah the perils of being over
60!

Iris

Old November 19th 11, 06:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IEZ[_2_]

Default Hopping Feet etc. (Was: Dazor lights/magnifiers)

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
The best foot for free-motion quilting? There's just not a 'one-size fits
all' for that question. Actually, I don't think 'one-size fits all'
anything ever fit any body.
My favorite is a metal circle with a spring on its shank(?) . I
by-pass the one with the opening in the front (sort of looks like a
horseshoe). Now and then it would poke its open toe into a stitch and
cause a little mayhem. Bernina gave us one that is a clear plastic sort of
rectangle; it sits ignored.
At first, I used what I think was called a Big Foot. Broke a couple
before I realized that I didn't like them anyway. The light would reflect
from it and bounce into my eyes which was rather annoying and it hid where
I'd been and where I was going. IMHO - of course. Polly

Oh, I so agree about the ones with the so-called clearview plastic feet.
They are not clearview! I cannot see what I'm doing because of the
reflections. The small circular ones are the best. And I like the hopping
variety over the one that came with the Janome Horizon. It doesn't hop.
You adjust it to rest lightly on the quilt. This is fine for whole-cloth
quilts, but if you have seams, you are either always adjusting the foot, or
it is hanging up.

Iris

Old November 19th 11, 07:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise In Iowa

Sandy, I learned long ago that when I'm going to read something Polly
has written, it's good to not have anything hot, liquid or edible near me!

Louise in Iowa
http://community.webshots.com/user/LouiseinIowa
nieland1390@mchsidotcom

On 11/19/2011 8:43 AM, Sandy wrote:
In ,
"Polly wrote:

"Sandy"wrote, in part
I usually do use the open-toed free-motion foot, unlike Polly.g I
find I have better visibility with that one, so I prefer it. The only
time the circular one is better is if I'm trying to do echo quilting;
the open-toed foot isn't exactly round, so the distance between quilting
lines can vary a bit. Sometimes that's not important.

I just may be the only quilter here who can stitch over my own foot - but I
can do it with the one that's horseshoe shaped. =) Polly

Oh, Polly! It's *such* a good thing that my coffee cup was already
empty! LOL!

Old November 19th 11, 08:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Iris, I have the foot that glides over the quilt for my Janome 6600
and I don't like it either. The hopping foot give a little bit of
control as the needle comes down and thru the fabric and the gliding
foot will allow you to move the quilt when the needle is down or
almost down, Seems like a set-up for big troubles.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old November 20th 11, 05:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steph

Thanks everyone for your comments! It sounds like the magnifier might
not work so well. I'm going to be talking with my Mom today and we'll
discuss... Lighting sure is an issue, I think the bendy light looks
like a great addition to my own machine (Janine 6600).

Stephanie

Clip on magnifiers? [email protected] Needlework 16 March 23rd 07 12:26 AM
Magnifiers sheila Needlework 8 March 2nd 04 03:37 AM
Dazor miracle! animaux Needlework 6 July 30th 03 01:54 PM