New Project

Old May 4th 10, 08:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Jack Schmidling

Default New Project

It's a lot easier to talk about a new project than to actually get
started. However, talking about it can provide the motivation to
actually get started. Sort of putting my money where my mouth is.

I never got any farther with my wine glass than the 3 oz martini glass.
The challenges of a larger casting were just too daunting so I quit
while I had something I could use. I never got into the sheet metal
version because I don't have the tools or knowledge to do it.

I was inspired at dinner recently through the mechanism of frustration.

Ever chase a plastic butter dish around the table trying to get the
knife clear with some butter on it? I don't do as civilized people do
and just cut off a pat. I butter the bread from the butter dish which is
a lot more difficult if you don't use the other hand to hold it down but
I have the piece of bread in the other hand.

As my martini glass is a lethal weapon because of its shear weight,
precisely that weight would be just what is needed for a butter dish.

I am thinking of using the one we have or something similar as a pattern
for a sand casting in silver and the plastic cover that came with it.
The cover stays in the kitchen anyway. My guess is this would weigh
about 2 lbs and solve the problem along with being a nice project.

BTW, the martini glass is most amazing. I put it in the freezer a few
hours before "martini time" on Friday and it will almost chill the
martini to drinking temp just as is with no ice at all. It is
incredible how fast it gets cold in the freezer.

My wife has to drink from a humble glass glass so I shake the drinks
with ice and pour when the temp is 36F. Mine keeps getting colder while
hers gets warmer.

On the other hand, we can not leave my spoons in very hot soup as the
handles get too hot to touch very quickly

So there it is and I am committed but just thought of a problem. I
don't know if my crucible will hold that much silver.

js

Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber, Gems,
Nature, Radio, Sheep, Sausage, Silver

http://schmidling.com
..
Old May 5th 10, 11:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
arnold[_2_]

Jack Schmidling wrote:

I am thinking of using the one we have or something similar as a pattern
for a sand casting in silver and the plastic cover that came with it.
The cover stays in the kitchen anyway. My guess is this would weigh
about 2 lbs and solve the problem along with being a nice project.

2 lbs of silver? Send me the silver and I'll make you a sturdy butter dish
and I'll keep the left over excess silver. :-)

--
arnold
..
Old May 5th 10, 11:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
ted frater

Jack Schmidling wrote:
[...]

.

Hi Jack,
good to see your working away at some onerous tasks.
Its coming up to midnight here in the UK, and ive gotten myself up from
my bed after a couple of hrs sleep following me dinner.
It was a hard day here in the bronze and titanium smith household in a
no of ways, a sleep after a meal is a natural thing for me to do.
So I fires up me computer to check the rainfall radar and tomorrows
pressure forecast,and check our newsgroup just to see whats up.
Well, you shure have a problem on your hands.
Problems are fun to resolve even if there someone elses,.
This will require some serious research on my part.
Where to start?
The first place is the kitchen.
After much deliberation it has to be my butter dish.
this lives on top of our bread box, that has a front drop down door.
Now my butter dish is a rectangular box that takes a half pound block of
butter. with a loosely fitting lid.
I put my rt hand behind my back, to simulate your one handed problem,
using my left hand, im left handed, take off the lid, pick up the butter
dish and place it on the work top in front of me.
so far so good.
Then i pull open the cutlery drawer, takeout 3 knives,
2 kings pattern, large dinner and small teasize, circa 1930,, and a
parallel bladed round ended bone handled ditto.
Still with my rt hand behind my back,
and your right, the butter dish wants to slide along the worktop if I
want to scrape a curl of butter off the top of the block.
But this isnt what I normally do.
to continue with this test,
I take down the biscuit tin, which lives on the shelf above the
worktop, again with one hand, then im stumped, as i can t get the lid
off without using my other hand. Inspiration to the rescue!!!
not to be beaten by such a simple thing, eureka!! I place the tin
between my knees and lift off the lid. put them back on the worktop
and take out 3 biscuits.
Now to the difficult bit, i take each knife in turn ,just to randomise
the test, and dig into the butter with the knife end, lift it out and
press down the butter onto the busicuit.Thats what I normally do.
The buscuit is stuck to the knife, would you believe! so
resoursefullness to therescue again ,i pick up the buiscuit with butter
and knife attached and take abite. No crumbs or buiscuit on the floor.
Repeat the test with the other 2 knives and biscuits. all goes well
To extendthetest further, i now need a cup of something, what better
than coffee.
Still one handed, 1st the milk, that lives in the fridge below the
worktop to my left. open it , takeout the milk, place on the worktop
shut the fridge.
unscrewing the top needs some thought, managed this, by using 2 fingers
on the lid and 2 fingers holding the container top, still only left handed.
Next, one cup from a hook on the 1st, shelf, one tea sized spoon also
Kings pattern, only the best in the Frater household, one saucepan on
the hook by the gas cooker,~Propane fired, like my enamelling kiln,
Pour milk into cup , to measure right amount, pour milk into saucepan,
place on cooker top and open gas valve. Self ignition from a pilot
light, very modern these 1960's cookers.
Next take lid off sugar tub , that lives on the worktop on the right of
the cooker. Thats a 1920's white enamelled french, marked sucre.
Next the coffee, at this time of the night it has to be instant granules
in a jar. on the shelf above the sugar position.
Again single handed with the coffe jar between my knees unscrew the lid
and repeat thetasks as per the biscuit tin.
By this time the milk is ready, coffee is in the cup sugar added.
Turn off the gas and pour.
Just to show willing, dried on milk on saucepans are a pain to wash up,
I take the saucepan, over to the sink, turn on thecold tap, run some in
and put on the rt draining board. Here its used on the left , washed up
on the right.
turn off the tap.
all simgle handed.
So after this exaustive controlled trial, the conclusions are, theres a
fault in the design of the butter dish. Not only with yours, but with
mine as well.!!
the butter dish designers must have been to the same university
Strange coinceience.
Its now time to go back to first principles, and redesign the butter dish.
What else in my kitchen uses a dish? Lots of things, What comes to mind
1st is the cheese dish. Now the designers of cheese dishes knew what
they were doing. The cheese dish, in my house hold is the other way up
to the butter dish. IE the cheese sits on the lid with the rectangular
box over it, with the handle on the bottom! would you believe! but it
works!! tho my cheese dish isnt rectangular. it has a sloping top to
simulate a wedge of cheese.
Now to the crucial bit of my test, put the butter on the cheese dish,
and take any one of the 3 knives, biscuits by now have been eaten.
take acurl off the butter by pressing the knife downwards along the
side of the butter. The table will resist this pressure and the knife
will provide butter you so desperately need on your bread.
So leave your silver as it is, a nice paper weight perhaps or a door
stop, get yourself another cheese dish if you havent a spare, and mark
it with the logo "Butter"
Hope this helps.
Ted.
PS. Coffee was just fine.

Old May 5th 10, 11:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W. Rowe[_2_]

On Tue, 04 May 2010 12:52:05 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry Jack Schmidling
wrote:

So there it is and I am committed but just thought of a problem.

A couple easier answers for you.

The backwoods version is a roll of duct tape. No doubt it would not be a
problem to figure out how to affix the offending butter dish to the table. I
suspect it would not take even a full roll of tape.

The more elegant solution would be velcro. You can get these little self
adhesive patches of the stuff. One piece conveniently in front of your seat at
the dinner table, another under the butter dish. You could still pick it up to
pass to the wife (who, most likely, long ago mastered the use of a butter dish
without it sliding. She's a woman, after all, and they're good at such manual
dexterity sorts of things in the kitchen...) or put in the fridge, but once
place in front of you, it wouldn't be likely to slide.

And finally, for your silver version, why bother making it a dish? Why not just
plunk the whole silver ingot (I do recall you're once saying your silver was in
big ingot form, didn't you?) onto the table and put the butter on it. Silver is
somewhat antibacterial anyway, so total cleanliness isn't an issue, and your
clear plastic lid would still work with the sliver slab. Oh, and if you prefer
your butter chilled or gently warmed, the thermal lessons of the martini glass
would also apply here. Only real difference between a big ingot and a butter
dish is the rim, right? And so long as you don't melt the butter...

Peter
Old May 6th 10, 04:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
1 Lucky Texan

On May 4, 2:52*pm, Jack Schmidling wrote:

[...]

Seems to me there's also an opportunity here to combine a little
lapidary with the silversmithing. perhaps making a nice stone 'base'
on which the actual silver is attached. less expensive, and maybe
presents an opportunity to learn a new skill. Some jade of course
would be nice, as well as sturdy in case of being dropped, or some
agate or other stone with an interesting pattern. Tiger Eye occurs in
flat-ish chunks and just squaring a chunk and polishing the 'edges'
could make a unique, heavy base. Snowflake obsidian, or turitella
agate or Llanite or ??? So many beautiful stone materials.
Old May 8th 10, 06:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Slainte

[...]

Well Ted I followed that routine with bated breth - an impressive account
for sure. It reminded me of this email I received just yesterday - copied
below

It's Hell to be Old

OLD people have problems that you haven't
even considered yet!

An 85-year-old man was requested by his
Doctor for a sperm count as part of his physical
exam.

The doctor gave the man a jar and said, 'Take
this jar home and bring back a semen sample
tomorrow.'

The next day the 85-year-old man reappeared
at the doctor's office and gave him the jar,
which was as clean and empty as on the
previous day.

The doctor asked what happened and the man
explained, 'Well, doc, it's like this -- first I tried
with my right hand, but nothing. Then I tried
with my left hand, but still nothing.

'Then I asked my wife for help. She tried with
her right hand, then with her left, still nothing.
She tried with her mouth, first with the teeth in,
then with her teeth out, still nothing.

'We even called up Arleen, the lady next door
and she tried too, first with both hands, then an
armpit, and she even tried squeezin' it between
her knees, but still nothing.'

The doctor was shocked!

'You asked your neighbor?'

The old man replied,

'Yep……, none of us could get the jar open.'

Old May 10th 10, 06:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Jack Schmidling

Nice to see some serious consideration for my lifetime of frustration.

There is one issue that has not been taken into consideration other than
the obvious. Temperature has a profound effect on the stickiness of
butter. Over a range of temps, the knife sticks to the butter which of
course, follows my knife to the bread I am trying to butter. Not
infrequently, falling back to the table after being hoisted into the air
and of course, landing upside down, spreading the butter on the table
instead of my bread.

I never even thought about curling the butter off the top because of
tremendous forces involved. This seemed hopeless until the idea of a
full 100 oz ingot was suggested. The butter must be cold to curl (no
problem in the Brit homes) but would have to be kept in the fridge here.
Unfortunately, being cold enough to curl would mean it is not sticky
enough to stick to the slab so we would have to do some serious graving
to create a rim to keep the butter on the slab.

And then there is the problem that my wife is left handed and I am
normal. It's not clear whether it's easier to sit opposite each other
or around a corner of the table and I am too old to do the math so I cut
and butter bread for both of us.

Keep the ideas coming. The longer this goes on, the more I can
procrastinate about getting started.

Jack

Old May 11th 10, 04:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
1 Lucky Texan

On May 10, 12:43*am, Jack Schmidling wrote:
[...]

Just reverse-engineer one of these into precious metal;

http://www.oneclickbuttercutter.com/
Old May 11th 10, 04:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W. Rowe[_2_]

On Mon, 10 May 2010 20:09:26 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry 1 Lucky Texan
wrote:

Just reverse-engineer one of these into precious metal;

http://www.oneclickbuttercutter.com/

Clearly someone's idea of a better mousetrap. Or butter trap. er. well,
something.

if you buy one of these, you could disassemble it, and use the plastic parts
directly as models, assuming it's a plastic which would burn out of an
investment mold. Most thermoplastic plastics will do that. If you use one of
the high explansion (dental industry) crystobalite investments, you can use the
thermal expansion of the mold itself to compensate for the metal shrinkage in
cooling, so your castings end up the same dimensions. (It wouldn't do for your
butter to not fit into your new silver cutter...)

Of course, perhaps this is just too easy. And after all, there are intellectual
propety rights issues involved, what with simply copying someone elses idea. So
improve it. You're a tinkerer Jack. So your silver one should be motorized.
Preferably cordless and solar rechargeable (which might be a trick in itself,
since the thing is supposed to be stored in the fridge, which normally doesn't
get a lot of sunlight inside...) After all, if deluxe pepper grinders can be
motorized, and with a convenient light so you can see where your pepper is going
(as if you couldn't before), then why not a deluxe solid silver motorized and
lighted butter cutter. For real luxury, design it so that while the interior
keeps the butter at the correct chilled temp, the exterior is a comfortably
warmed surface. if BMW and other cars can put heaters into the car seats to
keep your butt warm, why shouldn't a butter carrier/cutter do the same for
fingers...

OK. Now I'm being silly. A nice warm butt is obviously SO much more important
than warmed fingers...

But since the butter needs to be chilled to slice, but is nice when warmed and
soft in order to spread on your bread, you might figure a way to drain the heat
from the fingers in order to prewarm the butter pat. Silver is such a great
heat conductor, there must be a way...

:-)

Peter
Old May 12th 10, 02:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Jack Schmidling

Ted Frater wrote:
Its now time to go back to first principles, and redesign the butter dish.
What else in my kitchen uses a dish? Lots of things, What comes to mind
1st is the cheese dish.

I read your dissertation to my wife who kept asking what has this to do
with the butter dish? I kept saying just hang on but just when we both
got discouraged, she left the room and placed something on the dining
table and declared that Ted is a genius.

I got up and beheld a stick of butter under a cheese dome and suspected
she may be right and I had missed the eureka moment. My excuse was that
I could not comprehend a cheese dish with a handle on the bottom.

Ours has nothing to do with yours but it seems eminently suited to the
job and saves about 2 lbs of silver.

It is a round marble plate, inlaid into a round oak disk with soft
rubber feet and has a big and heavy glass dome for a cover. The latter
does not help as it is very hard to remove butter with the lid on.

Just so happens that she had a hot loaf of whole wheat bread right out
of the bread machine to go with her also excellent lasagna pie.

As we were both interested in the test, we decided that we would each
butter our own bread and issued two Schmidling 1/2 lb silver butter
knives for the test.

It was a smashing success. The dish never budged from it's original
position.

Thanks Ted. Will be back again in a few years.

Jack

Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber, Gems,
Nature, Radio, Sheep, Sausage, Silver

http://schmidling.com
..

[Ganoksin] The Ganoksin Project - A Project in Transition [email protected] Jewelry 0 September 9th 08 09:56 AM
WC Project Exchange - pics of my finished project Barbara Forbes-Lyons Beads 23 October 21st 04 09:45 AM
FO! & New Project Ranee Mueller Yarn 5 October 28th 03 05:47 PM
About one certain project NoraBalcer Yarn 0 September 25th 03 09:30 PM
New project on the way to me.... aeromom Needlework 0 August 28th 03 11:31 PM