How to kill a gansy

Old April 19th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default How to kill a gansy

Dye it!

Who would have thunk, that dying a garment could be that much harder than
dying skeins of yarn?

Aaron

Old April 19th 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Easy Come, easy go! After all it is just Fisherman's wool, and not some
expensive luxury fiber : D I knit for fun and not for pence. It gives me
an excuse to knit another one.

I am wearing it now. The day is unseasonably cool, and my office is cold.
It is the warmest sweater I own, even if it does look like it has dark
perspiration stains under the arms. Besides, after a few days of fishing,
and getting smeared with fish gore, nobody will notice the slightly darker
areas under the arms.

Aaron
"Madelaine" wrote in message
Dye it!

Who would have thunk, that dying a garment could be that much harder

than
dying skeins of yarn?

Aaron

My condolences. I recently killed a favorite blouse I was trying to
save with a too hasty attempt at tea dying. On the good side, it was to
be practice for dying a coffee-stained linen content Ralph Lauren
sweater that I love. I will eventually dye the sweater, but not with tea.
Madelaine

Old April 19th 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 17:34:01 GMT, wrote:

Easy Come, easy go! After all it is just Fisherman's wool, and not some
expensive luxury fiber : D I knit for fun and not for pence. It gives me
an excuse to knit another one.

I have a 7-gallon kettle for dyelotting handspun in sweater-sized
quantities. Send me the sweater and tell me what color you want
(walnut-husk brown, maybe brightened a bit with an alum mordant?) and
I'll see what I can do with it.

Old April 19th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Wooly,
Thanks, but I need the practice : )

If it were a "dress" sweater, it would be a problem and I would take you up
on your offer. But, this is my fishing and gardening sweater. I have
actually reoiled it and am wearing it right now. As soon as it starts
raining, I will head out the door to see if it dries faster as navy sweater
rather than as a white sweater.
Aaron

Old April 20th 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:26:37 -0700, wrote:

raining, I will head out the door to see if it dries faster as navy sweater
rather than as a white sweater.

Har, I missed that you had already dyed it

I prefer to dye the YARN and not the GARMENT!
Old April 20th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

On Apr 20, 12:35 pm, WoolyGooly wrote:
I prefer to dye the YARN and not the GARMENT!

I prefer to dye the fibre and not the yarn - that way I can card a
number of shades together to get a colour with depth and movement.

Old April 20th 07, 03:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Aud

skrev i melding
. net...
Easy Come, easy go! After all it is just Fisherman's wool, and not
some
expensive luxury fiber : D I knit for fun and not for pence. It
gives me
an excuse to knit another one.

I am wearing it now. The day is unseasonably cool, and my office is
cold.
It is the warmest sweater I own, even if it does look like it has dark
perspiration stains under the arms. Besides, after a few days of
fishing,
and getting smeared with fish gore, nobody will notice the slightly
darker
areas under the arms.

Aaron

You have got your PERSONAL fishing sweather, Aron!
You will love it and be very sorry the day you HAVE TO replace it!
You should have seen mine!!
Knitted/ ribbed in double left over wool yarn in all coloures and types,
one of the threads all through is grey, Norwegian rag sock yarn. No
superwash in it at all.
There are no holes, it's not "worn", and will never be....it is too
solid, except around the wrists, where it's mended with the wool I just
had for hand.
And it is warm!
And it is for fishing!!!
AND I love it!
AUD :-)

Old April 20th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I started another gansey last night from a very soft Scottish yarn worked
double. On my gansey needles, that gives me only 6spi so it should go
pretty fast, but there are 10 stitch panels each of which have cables and
diamonds --so may go slow. I am hoping that the gansey will go *much*
faster than the swatch (8.3 spm : - (( If not, there will be sleepless
nights in June.

Aaron

"Aud" wrote in message

skrev i melding
. net...
[...]

I kill people with lovely beads!!! Ed Zagmoon Beads 3 March 4th 07 07:24 PM
Just kill me -- one piece of eye candy Dr. Sooz Beads 5 June 25th 05 12:29 PM
OT--kill file and ignore maryd Quilting 4 April 24th 05 01:53 AM
Paper can kill! AliceW Quilting 25 January 12th 05 01:29 AM
I guess "60 Minutes II" has its first kill. Rick & LeeAnn Needlework 17 May 31st 04 05:38 AM