I finally get it!

Old April 19th 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Laura J

Default I finally get it!

I tried my first lace project several months after I began knitting a couple
of years ago. I didn't enjoy it. Maybe it was the yarn (50/50
acrylic/mohair), maybe the pattern, maybe because I didn't really know what
I was doing (are those ssk stitches slipped purl- or knit-wise?). It made
me decidedly anti-lace. But it seems the online knitting community has been
all abuzz with lace projects for the past year or so. After struggling with
a serious case of knitter's block I decided to try my hand at it again.
With some leftover Lorna's Laces Shepard Sock yarn and knitty's Branching
Out pattern in hand, I took a deep breath and cast on.

And now I GET it. I'm having a blast! After a couple of repeats I even
[gulp] decided to try it using the chart. That made it faster and more fun!

I know lace doesn't get pretty until it's blocked and I am really looking
forward to finishing it up so I can see how it turns out. I used the yarn
to make socks for my mom last Christmas so if it comes out nice I will give
her the scarf for Mother's Day.

Anyway, I knew you guys would understand my excitement. And thank you for
passing on the lace bug!

Hope everyone's having a nice week,
LauraJ

Old April 20th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

On Apr 20, 3:01 am, "Laura J" wrote:
And now I GET it. I'm having a blast!

Great news! I do hope we all get to see a picture when you are
done.

VP

Old April 20th 07, 02:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
fiberlicious

On Apr 19, 11:01 am, "Laura J" wrote:
[...]

In case that was a serious (as opposed to rhetorical) question: In an
ssk one slips as if to knit. The "rule" is that you slip to knit if
the stitch will immediately be reworked (as in an ssk), slip to purl
if you will be moving on after you slip.

Old April 20th 07, 01:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Alison

On 19 Apr 2007 18:54:02 -0700, fiberlicious
wrote:

In case that was a serious (as opposed to rhetorical) question: In an
ssk one slips as if to knit. The "rule" is that you slip to knit if
the stitch will immediately be reworked (as in an ssk), slip to purl
if you will be moving on after you slip.

So my sock pattern has slip one-knit one-pass slipped stitch over -
I'm reworking the slipped stitch so it should be slip as to knit,
right?

Alison
Old April 20th 07, 01:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Laura J

"fiberlicious" wrote in message
s.com...

In case that was a serious (as opposed to rhetorical) question: In an
ssk one slips as if to knit. The "rule" is that you slip to knit if
the stitch will immediately be reworked (as in an ssk), slip to purl
if you will be moving on after you slip.

It was rhetorical but that's okay - I'm glad you answered because I had
never heard that "rule"! Thanks!

LauraJ

Old April 20th 07, 03:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Neither have i heard of `that rule` , could you explain it ?
i mean origin and reason.
mirjam

ps.com...

Old April 20th 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Stef

In article m,
fiberlicious wrote:

In case that was a serious (as opposed to rhetorical) question: In an
ssk one slips as if to knit. The "rule" is that you slip to knit if
the stitch will immediately be reworked (as in an ssk), slip to purl
if you will be moving on after you slip.

I've heard of that "rule" but I've also heard that if you do an SSK
slipping the first stitch as if to knit and the second stitch as if to
purl, it looks different, and some people say it looks more attractive.
I don't know if that applies to lace, though.

--
Stef ** * http://www.cat-and-dragon.com/stef
**

Old April 21st 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
fiberlicious

On Apr 20, 10:05 am, (Mirjam Bruck-Cohen) wrote:
Neither have i heard of `that rule` , could you explain it ?
i mean origin and reason.
mirjam

"fiberlicious" wrote in message
ps.com...

In case that was a serious (as opposed to rhetorical) question: In an
ssk one slips as if to knit. The "rule" is that you slip to knit if
the stitch will immediately be reworked (as in an ssk), slip to purl
if you will be moving on after you slip.

It was rhetorical but that's okay - I'm glad you answered because I had
never heard that "rule"! Thanks!

LauraJ

No idea about origin but here's the reason: Unless you knit Eastern
Uncrossed (or some other non-traditional way that results in the
stitches being seated untraditionally on the needles), slipping
purlwise simply transfers the stitch without altering it in any way.
Slipping knitwise twists the stitch, which affects how the slipped
stitch sits once it has been reworked.

Finally! LizardGumbo Needlework 35 August 11th 06 03:37 PM
Finally have some pix up! Victoria \Lee\ Hirt Beads 3 May 10th 05 01:27 AM
WIPs finally finished & pictures finally posted!~ Terbear Quilting 5 January 8th 05 03:02 AM
Finally, finally my kreinik arrived Addie Needlework 2 May 13th 04 07:29 PM
OT - I've finally done it! Sharon Harper Quilting 28 July 14th 03 08:17 AM