Towards the Torch....

Old December 29th 03, 07:55 PM
Sjpolyclay

Default Towards the Torch....

Ok, so I'm thinking that in 2004 I will be ready to invest money and time into
new beady directions. I'm wanting to try more with metal, and the kids are old
enough to respect torches and glass, so I'm prepping for the plunge. I know how
to go about the wire and PMC stuff, but please point me in the right direction
for glass, both lampworking and fused, also cold applications. I know that
other newbies have gotten great direction here, but I've often looked the other
way, not wanting to get sucked in just yet....

So, what books do I need to check out, what videos? Also, what are the URLs for
places to check---Wet Canvas was something I thought I saw mentioned, where
else?? List me up, please, or point me towards any existing lists.

I'm going to take a class in fusing this February, but I want to know more
going in. I am NOT interested in blowing glass, but would like to know more
about the other uses.

And yes, from now on I will be reading even more of the glassily oriented
messages than I was--though you should all be aware that ITS ALL OF Y'ALL's
DOING that I am finding the thought of working glass so much more of interest
than I previously did.
Thanks, for that!
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

Old December 29th 03, 10:01 PM
Kalera Stratton

In article ,
atspam (Sjpolyclay) wrote:

[...]

Yay! One of us, one of us!

Um, OK. Websites:
Wetcanvas.com, absolutely.
ISGB.org forums.
Warmglass.com (fusing).
Corinabeads.com
Glasspoet.com
Frantzartglass.com

Books:
More Than You Ever Wanted To Know About Glass Beadmaking, James Kervin.
Making Glass Beads, Cindy Jenkins.
Beads of Glass, Cindy Jenkins
Passing the Flame, Corina Tettinger
The Fused Glass Handbook, Gil Reynolds
Glass Fusing Books I-III, Boyce Lundstrom

No comment on videos, I don't have any!

--
-Kalera

---------

http://www.beadwife.com
auctions at http://www.snurl.com/1sfe
Old December 29th 03, 10:12 PM
Tinkster

To Kalera's list I would add:

Smircich Makes Beads - VHS or DVD
Contemporary Lampworking, Vol. I and II - Bandhu Dunham

Old December 29th 03, 11:54 PM
Kandice Seeber

I agree with both Tink and Kalera on books and websites...the wetcanvas
website and the isgb website both have forums with several threads that are
basic tutorials and have lots of good information in them on pretty much any
aspect of glass lampworking and some fusing. Taking a class will be
invaluable - make sure to ask about safety and equipment. Good luck and
have tons of fun!! I can't wait to see what you do with glass.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old December 30th 03, 12:05 AM
Diana Curtis

Ditto!
Diana

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker

"Kandice Seeber" wrote I can't wait to see what you do with glass.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old December 30th 03, 02:00 AM
Beadbimbo

Wow, Sarajane! I can only imagine what kind of things you will do with
glass! Your polymer clay is so amazing!

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old December 30th 03, 03:54 PM
Sjpolyclay

Thank you Kalera! The Cindy Jenkins books I have seen at Bead Bazaar, she's
VERY good.
Thanks for the list!

Old December 30th 03, 03:59 PM
Sjpolyclay

Taking a class will be
invaluable - make sure to ask about safety and equipment.

Oh to be sure--I'm OCB about ovens already. I'm what's refered to as a
"checker". And I NEVER run with scissors.

Old December 30th 03, 04:04 PM
Sjpolyclay

Ditto!
Diana

I'm looking forward to it too----I'll be moving slowly, as I do need to keep up
with making polymer beads!! But if I do get a decent sized royalty check for
the last quarter of 2003 (I hear Michaels' picked up my books) the I will need
to spend a lot of it on business, so as not to have to pay so much self
employment tax.

That's the cool thing about the schedule C tax stuff----make money, spend it
on business tools, and get to keep the tools AND maybe a refund or a tax break.
OR, spend the money on rent, food and other frivolous such bills, and have NO
tools to show for it AND owe big bucks. I'd prefer to start buying more
tools....and I have a friend who also wants to get into it, so we can do it
together at first!