Melted Crud on Soleplate?

Old July 1st 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dogmom

Default Melted Crud on Soleplate?

My Rowenta Powerglide's soleplate has melted invisible (not any more!)
thread, among other things which I can't identify..... Can I just rub it off
with one of those green scratchy things that I use for pots and pans? I used
Dritz iron cleaning paste repeatedly which helped but there's still a lot
there.

TIA

Dogmom

Old July 1st 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

make sure that when you use the "Iron Off" stuff that your iron is hot
enough for it to work. And be careful. Usually I will heat my iron and
try to get at least some of the stuff off by rubbing the hot iron on
something like a scrap of old, fairly "rough" terrycloth toweling. (I
will keep a piece of an old towel for stuff like this. Wash it, dry it
by hanging up and such. Eventually it gets too much gunk on it that
won't wash out and I have to dump it.) Then use the Iron Off on a hot
iron. May take several applications, but it does eventually come off.
You can try the green scrubbies, with some baking soda made into a
paste. But be warned that if you have any kind of "non-stick" coating on
the iron it may scratch. If you have a stainless steel sole plate you
may be able to even use a bit of fine steel wool on the iron. But be
careful with anything you use. G

I have also used salt poured out onto a large sheet of brown paper (torn
open grocery sack) to run the hot iron over to remove some stuff.....
(years ago, before StitchWitchery/Wonder Under/etc, we used dry cleaner
bag plastic to help stick appliqué pieces down. That could get real
nasty on the iron if you were not very careful. G)

good luck,
Pati, in Phx
http://community.webshots.com/user/PatiCooks

Old July 1st 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nancy

You may want to try the "goo-gone" which helps remove a fair amount of that
stuff off my iron. It's available at most grocery stores in large or small
quantities.

Nancy

ink.net...

Old July 2nd 07, 12:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Dm:
When I've used that green scratchy pad for weird sticky
stuff on an object I end up with yucky green weird
sticky stuff on the object!! So, no.

Rowenta makes a proprietary cleaner. I have not
purchased it, but my Rowenta soleplate has not been
attacked by any weird stuff.

PAT in VA/USA
PS: NAYY, especially to weird stuff!

Old July 2nd 07, 02:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Dm, if you become desperate and nothing suggested works, report back. DD
welded a poodle skirt to my Rowenta once and DH did get it clean. His
solution does require adult supervision and perhaps a fire extinguisher on
standby. Polly

Old July 2nd 07, 04:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

mailed and posted

Mrs Esther: Am I wrong to assume that your DH can solve
lots of problems, but usually requires supervision and
that fire extinguisher nearby? Give him a HUG for me!

PAT in VA/USA

Old July 2nd 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dogmom

LOL! One of those green scratchy pot cleaners and LOTS of elbow grease (hope
it doesn't stain!) on a cold iron got nearly all of it off, so my
Powertrudger is once again a Powerglider. But if it gets "attacked" again,
to use Pat's apt word, I will take you up on your kind offer.

Just told DH I do NOT know how I could sew without y'all. Thanks!

Dogmom

Old July 2nd 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
alea

On Jul 1, 1:20 pm, "dogmom" wrote:
My Rowenta Powerglide's soleplate has melted invisible (not any more!)
thread, among other things which I can't identify..... Can I just rub it off
with one of those green scratchy things that I use for pots and pans? I used
Dritz iron cleaning paste repeatedly which helped but there's still a lot
there.

TIA

Dogmom

I was taught..and this has always worked for me..get some scrappy
muslin type fabric that you don't care about, a dryer sheet, and set
your iron on HOT. put the muslin on your ironing board and put the
dryer sheet on top of that..iron back and forth across the dryer
sheet, and across the muslin. the offending junk should come off no
problem.
Hope this helps.
andrea

Old July 2nd 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Nah. His method of removing melted poodle from a Rowenta does involve
gasoline, sand paper and being out in the middle of a pasture, however.

Old July 3rd 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Jul 1, 1:20 pm, "dogmom" wrote:
My Rowenta Powerglide's soleplate has melted invisible (not any more!)
thread, among other things which I can't identify..... Can I just rub it off
with one of those green scratchy things that I use for pots and pans? I used
Dritz iron cleaning paste repeatedly which helped but there's still a lot
there.

TIA

Dogmom

Noooooo!! Don't use scotchbrite on your Rowenta!! :-)
Seriously, I am the queen of screwing up the soleplate on the iron. I
can melt things onto the
soleplate that you wouldn't think are even melt-able.
Rowenta sells a "kit" for cleaning the soleplate. I think it was about
$15. You get a tube of this magic
melted-crud-getter-offer, a a piece of rough terrycloth & a piece of
soft flannel. (which weren't really
necessary, anybody could come up with an old towel).
Anyway. This stuff does miraculous things to the soleplate of my iron.
IMO it's well worth buying.

Sherry

Melted Lead Lamp Shades? Bashley Glass 2 October 10th 06 07:30 PM
Lara, holy crud!!! Dr. Sooz Beads 1 January 16th 06 01:41 AM
I melted stuff and made beads today! Barbara Forbes-Lyons Beads 5 December 30th 03 02:03 AM