question about lingerie

Old February 7th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

Default question about lingerie

Well, lingerie may be gilding the lily a bit, but I want to make a
couple of split slips. I'm not sure if this is the right term. Not
bloomers, but something to wear under a skirt to prevent chafing. I
was thinking about just taking a pajama bottom pattern and doing knee
length legs. I plan to use cotton batiste and narrow elastic. My
question is if anyone can tell me how this will look under a skirt? I
know it will depend on the skirt to some extent. I tend to prefer
cotton gauze and other lightweight fabrics. It gets far, far too hot
in the summer for anything else!

I appreciate all the help y'all have been!

Sue
Old February 7th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

S wrote:

Well, lingerie may be gilding the lily a bit, but I want to make a
couple of split slips. I'm not sure if this is the right term. Not
bloomers, but something to wear under a skirt to prevent chafing. I
was thinking about just taking a pajama bottom pattern and doing knee
length legs. I plan to use cotton batiste and narrow elastic. My
question is if anyone can tell me how this will look under a skirt? I
know it will depend on the skirt to some extent. I tend to prefer
cotton gauze and other lightweight fabrics. It gets far, far too hot
in the summer for anything else!

I appreciate all the help y'all have been!

Sue

Pantalettes or culotte slip both spring to mind, and they work well.
You might want to make the legs a bit wider than traditional PJ's - more
sort of A line from the side-waist out to the them. I made some years
ago, out of a silk/cotton mix, with very pretty cotton lace round the
hems. From outside the skirt, no-one can tell your slip has two legs
rather than one!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Old February 8th 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

This garment is called: Petti-pants. Very popular in the 70s.
Still occasionally available; I bought one a year or so ago,
nylon. Look for pattern with Petti-pants. HTH.
PAT in VA/USA

Old February 8th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

In article , S
wrote:

Well, lingerie may be gilding the lily a bit, but I want to make a
couple of split slips. I'm not sure if this is the right term. Not
bloomers, but something to wear under a skirt to prevent chafing. I
was thinking about just taking a pajama bottom pattern and doing knee
length legs. I plan to use cotton batiste and narrow elastic. My
question is if anyone can tell me how this will look under a skirt? I
know it will depend on the skirt to some extent. I tend to prefer
cotton gauze and other lightweight fabrics. It gets far, far too hot
in the summer for anything else!

I appreciate all the help y'all have been!

I know what you mean--- sort of like long tap-pants. I have at least
one old pattern (Vogue 8219) for those and Vogue called them "culotte
liners". ( I may have more in my vintage pattern collection but I don't
have time to look right now) I think I've also seen the term
"pant-slips". There were other names too that I cannot recall. And you
could even make ones that went right down to the ankle; those could be
worn under trousers in the winter. Some were quite wide-legged and
other fit like a glove.

I'm curious where you get your 100% cotton batiste. I used to get mine
from Gohn Brothers but I'm not sure they are in business anymore and I
haven't been able to find cotton batiste, especially in any color other
than white, since.

Another possibility you may have already explored is knee to mid-knee
length cotton lycra "tights" like those used for exercise and dance
wear. Those might be especially good for chafing as long as you make
sure they are at least 90% cotton. They do not bunch up.

--
I fear me you but warm the starved snake,
Who, cherished in your breasts, will sting your hearts. (Henry VI, Shakespeare)
Old February 8th 06, 08:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

In article 1GmGf.21098$oG.4602@dukeread09,
Pat in Virginia wrote:

This garment is called: Petti-pants. Very popular in the 70s.

Yes!!! That's it! I couldn't remember to save my life. lol

Old February 8th 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 11:11:41 -0600, Phaedrine
wrote:

I'm curious where you get your 100% cotton batiste. I used to get mine
from Gohn Brothers but I'm not sure they are in business anymore and I
haven't been able to find cotton batiste, especially in any color other
than white, since.

I found the following listing at
http://www.yourcompanylisting.com/company2/5260531/gohn_brothers_mfg_co.html

GOHN BROTHERS MFG CO
105 S MAIN ST
MIDDLEBURY, IN, 46540
Phone: (574) 825-2400
Contact Name: JOHN S SWARTZENRUBERR

And a picture of their storefront (next door to the Village Inn) at
http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=565&RefID=565

Old February 9th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

Phaedrine wrote:

I'm curious where you get your 100% cotton batiste. I used to
get mine
from Gohn Brothers but I'm not sure they are in business
anymore and I
haven't been able to find cotton batiste, especially in any
color other
than white, since.

I found 100% cotton batiste at:

http://www.fabricdepot.com/catalog.aspx?ItemKey=239

They're local to me, so I cannot say how their online service is, but
I vouch for them in a general kind of way.

They also carry 100% cotton lawn at a much lower price:

http://www.fabricdepot.com/Catalog.aspx?ItemKey=220
and:
http://www.fabricdepot.com/Catalog.aspx?ItemKey=159

HTH,

Beverly

Old February 9th 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

In article ,
"BEI Design" wrote:

Phaedrine wrote:

I'm curious where you get your 100% cotton batiste. I used to get
mine from Gohn Brothers but I'm not sure they are in business
anymore and I haven't been able to find cotton batiste, especially
in any color other than white, since.

I found 100% cotton batiste at:

http://www.fabricdepot.com/catalog.aspx?ItemKey=239

They're local to me, so I cannot say how their online service is, but
I vouch for them in a general kind of way.

They also carry 100% cotton lawn at a much lower price:

http://www.fabricdepot.com/Catalog.aspx?ItemKey=220 and:
http://www.fabricdepot.com/Catalog.aspx?ItemKey=159

HTH,

Beverly

Thanks very much. I headed there to their web site right now!