Sailboat Quilt and More

Old January 28th 17, 06:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Default Sailboat Quilt and More

Where has everyone gone as my Christmas greeting was the last post??
Just finished a sailboat quilt for a boys bed. Think the pattern came from McCall's quilting. It had 4-half squares for the sails. A rectangle with another 2 half squares on each end for the boat. Found some material that worked well as ripply water and blue sky. For the border I used material with sailboats and light houses.
My sewing machines have both been in the shop for servicing. First time I used one broke two needles while trying to do embroidery work, so started on the second machine and discovered the tension was way off leaving birds nests instead of stitches under side. I could not get the upper and lower tensions right so I took both machines back and now they are both fine. Guy did not charge me for the 2nd trip. I already had $160 invest in servicing fees.
Since there was nothing to sew I cut out enough for three quilts, 2 of these being American Indian style and the third is a 15 inch block that I have no pattern for now because it got thrown away. So all I could do is graph it out as I remembered.
Let me know what you "all" are working on.
Sandy$
Old January 29th 17, 12:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian Christiansen

On 01/28/2017 10:06 AM, wrote:
Just finished a sailboat quilt for a boys bed. Think the pattern came from McCall's quilting. It had 4-half squares for the sails. A rectangle with another 2 half squares on each end for the boat.

Is it perhaps this pattern:
http://www.mccallsquilting.com/blogs...tarring-ships/,
which, except for the "central" ship having 6 sails, looks very much
like what you describe, and looks like the size would be for a child's bed.
Let me know what you "all" are working on.

I am working on repairing the quilt that I have talked about on this
group. It is taking me longer than it should, because the way I sew is
to put a block onto the quilt, let it sit for a few days to a week, then
sew on another block on. I might finish it before the quilt ages
another 50 years.

I bought a new phone a few weeks ago, and since I made a quilted case
for my 2 smartphones before this, and my kindle, I probably should make
a case for my new phone. I use a pattern that I found on youtube for my
cases, and put it in a spreadsheet so I can customize it for various
sizes.

The first smartphone I had was 4"(10cm) by 2"(5cm), a really small
smartphone, and I even saw an article that said that the model I had was
not really a smartphone, and I think this article called it a
"dumbphone" which is about the smallest phone this particular patten can
be used on. The fabric I used was blue denim.

My next smartphone was 4.5" (11cm) by 2.5" (6cm). I used some
patchwork-pieced fabric for this one.

My currrent smartphone is 5.5" (14cm) by 3" (7.5cm), a size that is big
enough to comfortably web pages. I am not sure, but I think I will use
the patchwork-pieced fabric for this one as well.

My kindle is 7.5" (18cm) by 4.5" (11cm), which I now do most of my
reading on.. I used the blue denim on this one as well, and it is
decorated with my pin for donating 5 gallons of blood to the Red Cross,
and according to the records available at the Red Cross site, I think I
am rapidly approaching 10 gallons if I have not passed that.

After I finished typing the above, I decided to try to find the pattern
I used for the phone/kindle cases. The pattern I use is this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axqDa__c9Zg.
--
Brian Christiansen

Old January 30th 17, 05:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Hello Brian,
This is the correct quilt from McCall's and thank you for posting it for me. It was fun to make. I used red,green and brown colors of same fabric for the boats. Now about that 5 gallons of blood you have given over time. You are really brave for doing this. I have only given blood once and after only giving a pint which really looked like a quart I found for a couple of weeks that the floor kept wanting to hit me in the face. Felt like I was going to pass out, really getting light headed. I like these on You Tube tutorials. Not sure if I would ever use one. My cell phone is really small and one you fold up. There is a pocket in my purse when I go somewhere and the rest of the time I put it in the room where I am working. I for some reason don't like to carry one on me. I have been thinking of getting a Kindle Fire because I read a lot. I can see a need for a cover for those.
Sandy$
Old January 30th 17, 10:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Janner

On 29/01/17 18:14, Nann wrote:
[...]

Same here, FB is easier for me in lots of ways, sad I know, but times
are changing

Janner
France
Old January 31st 17, 03:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

wrote:
[...]

I do miss this. I haven't found the FB group as useful as this was. I
have no trouble accessing this group. I have it set up so I can access
it through Thunderbird, which is what I use to do email on my computer.

Julia in MN
Old February 1st 17, 12:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for telling us about your sail boat quilt! I have been thinking
about making one, but things get in the way.
Barbara in FL

Old February 4th 17, 08:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Night Mist

Ditto.
I've thought about a facebook account for the cat, but what I have seen of it I don't much care for.

I do miss this group a bunch.

NightMist

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 10:51:57 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I still check in on this group here, although rarely post. I don't "do" Facebook for any reason, so my interaction with our group is pretty limited now.
Like Julia, I miss the "old days" of our chatter.

Ginger in CA
email to respond is