beginner sock knitter

Old April 8th 07, 05:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Linda [email protected]

Default beginner sock knitter

I'm coming to all of you pro's before diving into sock knitting. I've
been knitting for years, and have done everything from hats and
scarves to sweaters, plus beaded knitting. I've done lots of hats for
charity, etc., but would like to have something small and portable to
have in my bag for in the car or wherever.

I like the idea of knitting with two circular needles and knitting
both socks at the same time. Am I crazy to start out this way? If
this is a bad idea what would you recommend instead? What yarn and
needles are appropriate for a beginning sock knitter? I've also
noticed some patterns for "toe up" socks, is this a good idea too?

Any suggestions, hints, or tips are greatly appreciated.

thanks, Linda in B.C., Canada
Old April 8th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
The Other Kim

Linda wrote:

I'm coming to all of you pro's before diving into sock knitting. I've
been knitting for years, and have done everything from hats and
scarves to sweaters, plus beaded knitting. I've done lots of hats for
charity, etc., but would like to have something small and portable to
have in my bag for in the car or wherever.

I like the idea of knitting with two circular needles and knitting
both socks at the same time. Am I crazy to start out this way? If
this is a bad idea what would you recommend instead? What yarn and
needles are appropriate for a beginning sock knitter? I've also
noticed some patterns for "toe up" socks, is this a good idea too?

Any suggestions, hints, or tips are greatly appreciated.

thanks, Linda in B.C., Canada

Well, I can't help you with the circulars and two-at-once thing, as I'm
one of those who just can't seem to wrap my mind (or fingers) around
knitting socks on anything other than 5 DPs from the top down, but I
will say that once you knit your first pair you will be addicted, and
your sock drawer will soon be overflowing with hand-knit socks in many
wild colors, with a couple more pair on needles, and the folks here will
do their best to enable your addiction at every opportunity.

Anyway, Linda, welcome, and I'm sure someone will be along to give you
answers to your questions soon enough.

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

Old April 8th 07, 10:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Georgia

Once you get started knitting 2 at a time, it's not that complicated. It
takes about 3 rows to recognize that there is a rhythm to it: knit across,
change yarn; knit across, change needles; knit across, change yarn; knit
across and change needles back to where you started (preferably you keep a
stitch marker there to make it easy to recognize).

Pro's (besides not getting stuck if you break or lose a dpn):
easy to make socks identical

Con's:
the "seam" where you change needles needs more adjusting
knitting from two balls of yarn (or two ends of the same skein--which I try
to avoid) can require periodic untangling

At present I am knitting one pair on 2 circs, and another on 4 dpns. I think
I will take the dpns with me on my cross-country trip, as they're more
compact to work with.

Just dive in, and have fun! What have you got to lose?

Georgia
www.georgiamorgan.net/html/knitting.htm

Old April 9th 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Spike Driver

Linda wrote:
I'm coming to all of you pro's before diving into sock knitting. I've
been knitting for years, and have done everything from hats and
scarves to sweaters, plus beaded knitting. I've done lots of hats for
charity, etc., but would like to have something small and portable to
have in my bag for in the car or wherever.

I like the idea of knitting with two circular needles and knitting
both socks at the same time. Am I crazy to start out this way? If
this is a bad idea what would you recommend instead? What yarn and
needles are appropriate for a beginning sock knitter? I've also
noticed some patterns for "toe up" socks, is this a good idea too?

Any suggestions, hints, or tips are greatly appreciated.

thanks, Linda in B.C., Canada

Welcome Linda!!!!
I have helped several locals get started on 2 needles with this sight.

http://www.socknitters.com/2circs/lessonthree.htm

It has been posted here several times over the years. It is a great
sight for knitters with you experience and beginners. It has one of the
best explanations for grafting aka the kitchener stitch. Don't be
afraid You will find most sights refer you to the sight above for help
on 2 circulars, have fun!

Also look over this Google search I made. You will find
http://www.socknitters.com wealth of info.

I have knitted with 4 and 5 double points, 2 circulars, and the "Magic
Loop". The last is my favorite. We have a few people that like " TWO
at ONCE on TWO CIRCULARS. They say they will never do one sock at a
time again and they are adamant about it.

Wooly was right about the toe up, it is easier to get a good fit. You
can do the increases until it feels comfortable and length to the
instep. 2 circulars make it easy to try on the socks. way easier the 4
or five double pointed needles.

The favorite in my local group is the same as Wooly. Top down on 2
circular needles.

I have also done two at once on the Magic Loop, don't try it first it is
not easier if you do not know what to expect out of the sock. You will
not have any trouble if you follow Wooly's advice on the 2 circulars.

Let us know how you do, we will be waiting to her from you Linda, please
ask many questions. Some one here will have an answer for you.

This is a search I did on " socks on 2 circulars" on google. In a few
months you will be doing the same as us, adapting any sock pattern to
the sock knitting system you learn to enjoy the most. You will!!!

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail
Old April 9th 07, 01:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Leah

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 16:44:51 GMT, Linda wrote:

Any suggestions, hints, or tips are greatly appreciated.

I haven't done socks on 2 circs yet. My LYS didn't have the right
sizes in stock, so while I got the book (Cat Bordhi's), and I had the
yarn, I had to use DPNs because I didn't want to wait a month to get
started.

If you end up using DPNs, from another newbie sock maker, here are my
tips: If your feet are larger than a size US 8 (the "average") like
mine, you may find it hard to work with 6 inch DPNs when you get to
the foot or leg portion (depending on if you go top down like me or
toe up like others, my patt is top down so that's the one I'm
following). I had to switch to 8 inch DPNs because of the worry of
sts falling off the needles since my patt calls for 3 holding ndls and
1 working ndl because my ankle minus 1 inch measurement is 8.5 inches.
I didn't try 4 holding and 1 knitting because I've never done this
patt before and am not confident in messing around with it until I get
the first sock done. Point protectors made the work too heavy to
manipulate, so I had to go to a diff LYS to buy 8 inch DPNs. HOWEVER,
when I cast on for the second sock, I will work it this way, use 6
inch DPNs for the ribbing, it's more compact, and will help avoid
large holes at the joins, and when I do the heel, it will also be on 6
inch DPNs, but the rest will be done on 8 inchers.

I also recommend wood/bamboo DPNs, because they are a little stickier
and less likely to fall out of your work. I have worked in the round
many times before, and I have some metal DPNs which slip through the
work much more easily than wood/bamboo. Also, if you get wood/bamboo,
try and make sure all the points are the same sharpness before you buy
them. One of my Crystal Palace bamboo DPNs was a LOT more blunt than
the others and since the LYS I got them from is hard for me to get to,
I ended up sanding it down and spraying it with wood finish to make
the tips match the other needles as the single blunt one made it too
hard to pull sts through. Yes, I switched to the 5th needle in the
pack, but in order to have a full working set, I had to either pull
them all out and find time to return them for an exchange when the LYS
is open, or I could redo it myself. Since I'm familiar with making
wood ndls, it was no big deal to refinish it after asking advice here.
It took fine sandpaper and a couple of nail buffing boards, patience,
and careful work to make the tips match the others, and a lot of
drying time in the shed since the spray on wood finish has a strong
smell to it. The other LYS I made it to for the 8 inch DPNs has
Skacel, not sure what kind of wood, but while more expensive, they
were all very uniform tips, and I bought 3 sets of Skacel 8 inch DPNs
in different sizes.

Also, if you're not familiar with working with DPNs and really fine
yarn, the first couple of rows might go very slowly. I did my rib
first, and working with very little fabric along with switching
between K and P made it go very slow. Speed is back to normal now
that I'm on the leg portion, nearly to the heel; I have very little
time to knit, so even something like a sock takes a couple of weeks
for me to find enough time to finish!

HTH

Leah
Old April 9th 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Try 5 dpn as they fold together better.

Aaron

Linda wrote in message
I'm coming to all of you pro's before diving into sock knitting. I've
been knitting for years, and have done everything from hats and
scarves to sweaters, plus beaded knitting. I've done lots of hats for
charity, etc., but would like to have something small and portable to
have in my bag for in the car or wherever.

I like the idea of knitting with two circular needles and knitting
both socks at the same time. Am I crazy to start out this way? If
this is a bad idea what would you recommend instead? What yarn and
needles are appropriate for a beginning sock knitter? I've also
noticed some patterns for "toe up" socks, is this a good idea too?

Any suggestions, hints, or tips are greatly appreciated.

thanks, Linda in B.C., Canada

ISO sock pattern recs for self-striping and variegated sock yarns Laura J Yarn 24 October 12th 06 11:11 PM
Question for the knitters of sock inside sock Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 13 March 5th 06 05:07 AM
new knitter craft-knitter Machine Knit 1 December 29th 05 04:27 PM
Beginner Knitter and Crocheter Sue Yarn 34 December 23rd 04 07:42 PM
Beginner knitter ? Annika J Needlework 14 January 12th 04 05:18 PM