Glue Chip Plate?

Old March 1st 05, 04:29 PM
Moonraker

"Michele Blank" wrote in message
you know, now that i think of it, i have regularly gotten 3/16 glue chip

at
Mt. Airy? Not the suwanee location but shouldn't make a diff???m

The Suwanee location doesn't have it...and even if they did, I'd rather eat
worms than deal with the jerk that manages that location.

Old March 3rd 05, 05:52 AM
Michele Blank

move over 'Fear Factor' (trademarked) it's the reality show about large
scale wholesale glass suppliers! we all need 'em, we all have to deal with
them.....worms may crawl in our mouths, tarantulas can walk their paths over
our skins, but nothing creates the shudders for us glass artists like having
to parlay with the dreaded big guy wholesale glass suppliers from He...ll! I
know what you mean, ever have to deal with the Odessa -like financial
manager at the place i may have mentioned before? OMG!!! i have
intentionally NOT ordered from certain supply houses for periods exceeding a
year simply because they were RUDE! Nasty! and frankly, did not act like
they valued my business enough for me to honor them with it. There are a lot
of dealers out there, if they want MY biz, they have to earn it! respect,
timely orders, up to date info did i mention RESPECT! If they screw up a
shipment, they should pay for the shipping to correct it, yes! Nothing i
wouldn't offer to one of my clients, and we're talking where my bizness
dealings are maybe a 100th percent of what i'm doing with the racketeers!
sorry for the rant, but the info contained within stands, and ah well, the
offer still stands if you want a crate.... m

Old March 3rd 05, 07:30 AM
Kalera Stratton

Michele Blank wrote:
[...]

LOL!

As a lampworker, I am small potatoes. It really doesn't matter what my
bottom line is, I'm still small potatoes in their minds because I'm a
lampworker. So, I stay with the small potatoes suppliers, for the most
part. I hate being condescended to. I still have the strongest
temptation to call one supply house who jerked me around for weeks on a
wholesale account, and tell them how much I'm spending per month... with
their competitor, who gave me an account promptly and without an attitude.

--
-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
Old March 3rd 05, 04:00 PM
Janet R

I am with you. Im very small potatoes (a hobbyist that makes gifts
for others), but I like a wide assortment of glass. Last Dec I went
to a local glass store and was treated like a second rate customer.
After all...I was going to use the stained glass to
make...OOOOOHHHH...BEADS!.

What difference does it make what I do with the glass after I pay for
it? Heck...I could have used it for BB practice. The owner would not
tell me the brand of the glass and would not even stay in the same
room with me. The store owner would not help me at all....I left
with under $50 in glass.

The next local seller I went to was stumbling over themselves to help
me. They listed each brand on each pane of glass (so I could keep
track of COE's etc)....they set up a space on a work table so I could
stack my glass. The kicker...they were more expensive than the first
shop! I spent $300+ there.

Guess where I will be going back to visit? The second seller gave me
a huge discount when I got to the register! 30% off! Their sale
didn't start till the following week, but gave me the sale price right
then and there. They didn't even have to mention that sale to me.

Customer service is scarce these days...its a treasure when you find
it!

Janet R

"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message
:
:
: --
: -Kalera
: http://www.beadwife.com

Old March 3rd 05, 06:59 PM
Kalera Stratton

Absolutely! I buy through a supplier in Seattle because my local place
is so bad. It's interesting the attitude I've gotten from some suppliers
for being "just a lampworker"... expecially ironic with my local stained
glass supply house because it was their instructor, almost fourteen
years ago, who was directly responsible for me learning to lampwork. Did
they not teach people in order to gain a customer base?

No company should allow their staff to be rude or condescending to any
customer; regardless of their craft, appearance, or "dollar value".

Another thing that ticks me off is when I'm applying for a wholesale
account and they ask questions that are none of their business... the
aforementioned troublesome local supplier actually wanted me to give
them the names & contact info of my other wholesale suppliers. Um, no! I
think they're the only company that has ever given me any runaround,
though; the others have mostly been polite and responsive. Those who are
difficult to order from, I simply don't bother with.

Old March 3rd 05, 07:26 PM
Moonraker

"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message
Another thing that ticks me off is when I'm applying for a wholesale
account and they ask questions that are none of their business... the
aforementioned troublesome local supplier actually wanted me to give
them the names & contact info of my other wholesale suppliers. Um, no!

If you were applying for an open credit account, that wouldn't be
unreasonable.

You have to realize that most of those procedures were set up by persons,
who if they could actually "DO" anything else, wouldn't be bean-counters.

I think they're the only company that has ever given me any runaround,
though; the others have mostly been polite and responsive. Those who are
difficult to order from, I simply don't bother with.

Haven't dealt much with Ed Hoy's have you? Or Mt. Airy?

On the other hand, I've had really good service from Houston Glasscraft and
Stained Glass Warehouse in Asheville, NC.

Old March 4th 05, 01:22 AM
Kalera Stratton

Moonraker wrote:
"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message

Another thing that ticks me off is when I'm applying for a wholesale
account and they ask questions that are none of their business... the
aforementioned troublesome local supplier actually wanted me to give
them the names & contact info of my other wholesale suppliers. Um, no!

If you were applying for an open credit account, that wouldn't be
unreasonable.

You have to realize that most of those procedures were set up by persons,
who if they could actually "DO" anything else, wouldn't be bean-counters.

In a former job incarnation I was a Corporate Accounts Coordinator, and
I know reasonable practices when I see them. I have wholesale accounts
(NOT open credit accounts... in fact, not technically "accounts" at all,
but for convenience that's what most people call them) with a lot of
suppliers in glass and hardware, and asking for names and references of
other wholesalers with whom I do business is not a common business
practice. If they were extending me credit, then checking credit
references would be reasonable, yes.

The bottom line is the bottom line; bean counters who needlessly
alienate people with perfectly good beans don't have many beans left to
count at the end of the fiscal year. I spend more beans on glass per
month than I do on my mortgage, and if they don't want my beans, I'll
give them to the guy in Seattle who is happy to take them.

I think they're the only company that has ever given me any runaround,
though; the others have mostly been polite and responsive. Those who are
difficult to order from, I simply don't bother with.

Haven't dealt much with Ed Hoy's have you? Or Mt. Airy?

I have an account with Ed Hoy's, but I've never used it. They were
perfectly professional as far as I dealt with them, and had reasonable,
though slightly unusual, requirements for opening an account. If they're
a big PITA to deal with I will probably never use them. I'm a lampworker
living in Portland, Oregon, a veritable mecca; happy as a pig in a poke,
as they say. There's very little I need that I can't get fairly
directly. I pick up my Uroboros and BE at the respective factories, and
if I want Moretti, Mike Frantz is just up in Seattle. I get Reichenbach
cane and various frits from Olympic, and sometimes from Spruce Pine.
(Olympic stopped carrying Kugler, fie on them!) I think Ed Hoy's is more
oriented toward the stained glass trade? One of my girlfriends who does
stained glass orders from them a lot.

Old March 4th 05, 03:22 AM
Mike Firth

"Moonraker" wrote in message

"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message
Another thing that ticks me off is when I'm applying for a wholesale
account and they ask questions that are none of their business... the
aforementioned troublesome local supplier actually wanted me to give
them the names & contact info of my other wholesale suppliers. Um, no!

If you were applying for an open credit account, that wouldn't be
unreasonable.

The people who took over Swest want 3 other wholesale jewelry suppliers
before they
will allow sales! Not an account, sales. If I had 3 other suppliers, I
would not need them.
I do have an account, Tools Only, with a supplier so I can get the Wax and
Investment I want
along with a few more tools. The problem for jewelry suppliers, of course,
is people who want
to buy a few jewelry pieces just to save money, avoid taxes, and be a
nuisance.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

Old March 4th 05, 03:52 AM
Kalera Stratton

That's what business tax ID numbers and minimum order requirements are
for, right? I live in Oregon so I don't have a tax exemption #, but I do
have a federal employer ID#, a state business ID#, business cards,
business letterhead, business credit cards, etc. They can require
anything they want, but I don't have to do business with them if I don't
like their requirement.

Here's how I feel about the situation; my wholesale contacts are my
business; proprietary information. I am pretty free with that
information, but I'm not thrilled with being asked for it from another
business; especially one who also sells retail and can find their own
damn wholesale contacts.

Old March 4th 05, 03:52 AM
Moonraker

"Mike Firth" wrote in message

The people who took over Swest want 3 other wholesale jewelry suppliers
before they
will allow sales! Not an account, sales. If I had 3 other suppliers, I
would not need them.
I do have an account, Tools Only, with a supplier so I can get the Wax and
Investment I want
along with a few more tools. The problem for jewelry suppliers, of

course,
is people who want
to buy a few jewelry pieces just to save money, avoid taxes, and be a
nuisance.

Here is a jewelry place that seems to be OK with small purchases:

www.kingsleynorth.com

They have 2 catalogs, one for jewelry and another for lapidary/glass.

There's a place in Atlanta that I couldn't find on the web (may not have a
site?), called Just For Fun or JFF Jewelry Supply. They have supplies,
tools, etc. and a very friendly and helpful staff. I can look up the
address and phone if you'd like. This place sells metals, and a "sister"
company sells precious stones.