OT - computer dead?

Old May 8th 04, 09:47 PM
Johanna Gibson

Default OT - computer dead?

Hello,
I just came home from work and the computer is stone dead. I tried
switching it on - nothing. Also, everything else in that strip is
working, so it couldn't be a blown fuse in the strip could it now?
I'm going to see if there is dust inside, and get that out but... do I
have a dead machine? I have several important emails in my computer
about this course I'm attending in Russia in August... Ack! What can
I do?

Yours,

-- Jo in Scotland
Old May 8th 04, 09:56 PM
Heather

If the computer is in fact dead, you can have someone mount that HD into
another computer long enough to retrieive whatever you need off of it.

Old May 8th 04, 10:03 PM
Kate T.

Have you checked where the main cable plugs into the computer. It could be
loose. Sometimes my computer won't come on because it's too hot in the room
and too much humidity. I have to set a fan blowing air on the back of the
CPU so it will stay cool.

Kate T.
South Mississippi

Old May 8th 04, 11:14 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
So, uh... Johanna--how are you coming to us via RCTQ?
Is this Magic? Do you know Harry Potter?
Have you been Bewitched by Samantha Stevens or her
very eccentric Aunt Clara?

Ragmop/Sandy--no help, just full of questions..
I could be quilting!

Old May 8th 04, 11:15 PM
Diana Curtis

Try the reset button on the back of the system.
Your power supply might be dead, but all is not lost. If nothing we suggest
does anything get your HD friendly with another computer and retrieve your
info that way.
Good luck!
Diana

Old May 9th 04, 01:56 AM
C Lutz

are there no lights at all on the tower ()CPU)? My video card went out and
I thought at first that the whole thing wasn't working. Replaced the video
card and all was fine...

Old May 9th 04, 02:04 AM

It could indeed be one of the outlets on the strip is dead. I saw that happen
several times when I was tech support for the school district. No reason that I
could figure out, but before you totally panic -- plug it into another spot on
the strip. In fact, plug it directly into the wall outlet to see if it works
there. Oh, yeah, and be sure that the on/off safety switch on the back is
switched to "on". Sometimes the gremlins switch that off just to get attention

If all else fails, find a friend with the same sort of computer and swap out
your hard drive long enough to print off the critical stuff.
--
Anne in CA
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl Crow

Johanna Gibson wrote:

Hello,
I just came home from work and the computer is stone dead. I tried
switching it on - nothing. Also, everything else in that strip is
working, so it couldn't be a blown fuse in the strip could it now?
I'm going to see if there is dust inside, and get that out but... do I
have a dead machine? I have several important emails in my computer
about this course I'm attending in Russia in August... Ack! What can
I do?

Yours,

-- Jo in Scotland

remove NOSPAM to reply
Old May 9th 04, 03:05 AM
nana2b

Another possibility is the on/off switch is gone. Most are made of plastic
and after many uses plastic fatique will just break off that contact. Don't
Panic Yet.

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old May 9th 04, 10:19 PM
Johanna Gibson

On Sat, 08 May 2004 22:14:04 GMT, " Ellison"
wrote:

Howdy!
So, uh... Johanna--how are you coming to us via RCTQ?
Is this Magic? Do you know Harry Potter?
Have you been Bewitched by Samantha Stevens or her
very eccentric Aunt Clara?

Ragmop/Sandy--no help, just full of questions..
I could be quilting!

I'm on Mat's computer just now.. but of course it doesn't contain
all of my emails.. folks' address and email addresses and whatnot. I
do try to remember and write them all down on paper in my real address
book, but you know what the road to hell is paved with....
I just want to say that it is amazing how much cleaning, tidying and
sewing you can get done when your computer is dead.
Mat's dad is coming round on Wednesday evening to help me out. Mat
is still in LA...

-- Jo in Scotland
Old May 20th 04, 09:41 PM
Johanna Gibson

On Sat, 08 May 2004 21:47:45 +0100, Johanna Gibson
wrote:

Hello,
I just came home from work and the computer is stone dead. I tried
switching it on - nothing. Also, everything else in that strip is
working, so it couldn't be a blown fuse in the strip could it now?
I'm going to see if there is dust inside, and get that out but... do I
have a dead machine? I have several important emails in my computer
about this course I'm attending in Russia in August... Ack! What can
I do?

Yours,

-- Jo in Scotland

Mat's dad spent a lot of time over the last week to resurrect my
computer... one day alone he had spent 6 hours on it! I never
imagined that 1) it would be possible to have my computer back alive
as I knew it and 2) he would have to spend that much time to make it
happen! He was joking that I owe him in excess of £1,000 because he
makes £132 an hour as the most senior GP at his medical practice in
Cupar. I laughed hesitantly and gave him £27 for the new fan and
fuse.
Plus my friend Nikki brought over about a bushel of rhubarb
yesterday and I went along to the store and bought strawberries and
(gasp!) ready-made pastry. That still feels so sinful... I first
tried it about a year ago, and man does it save time.
So I have my computer back. His parents have a strawberry-rhubarb
pie. All is well in my world.... (Well I have 3 exams tomorrow -
Aural Translation, Dictation, Aural Comprehension).

-- Jo in Scotland