Jewellery making class coming up!

Old July 5th 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

Default Jewellery making class coming up!

Hi guys, I'm sooo pumped. I have been checking the local art college's
website every day for their fall/winter extended studies catalog. I'm
still working towards my BFA, and one of the studio options has to be
sculpture, glass, fibre or jewellery.

I can't register until next week though, darnit! The jewellery class
runs Wednesday evenings from September to April, while sculpture runs
every Saturday from September to December. It was a no-brainer between
which was worse - 4 months of Saturdays of 6 months of Wednesday
evenings :-)

My friend took the same class last year and she made some fun things
like rings and a cuff bracelet (she's an accountant, so she worked an
abacus into the design). I'm really looking foward to trying things
with metal - there's going to be riveting, soldering and sheet metal
forming. Woo!

Excitedly,
Christine

Old July 5th 07, 08:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beckibead

Christine -- that sounds terrific! Can't wait to see what you make.

Becki

Old July 5th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Christina Peterson

Christine, That sounds great. I took a course in silver smithing, but have
too poor manual and digital dexterity to work with fire. I always yearn to
set beads or cabs in bezels. Hell, I'd like just to be able to solder jump
rings closed. You will love the class, as I did in spite of my inadequate
performance.

Ahhh, but sculpture!!!

Tina

ups.com...

Old July 9th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

Christine, That sounds great. I took a course in silver smithing, but have
too poor manual and digital dexterity to work with fire. I always yearn to
set beads or cabs in bezels. Hell, I'd like just to be able to solder jump
rings closed. You will love the class, as I did in spite of my inadequate
performance.

Oh man, that's too bad! I never thought about how much steadiness
would be required. Do you think it's something that would improve with
time and practice?

Ahhh, but sculpture!!!

Heheh! The sculpture class actually scares me a little. It's more
about using space. The description says that clay, wood, metal and
found objects will be used. I'm not sure if it's right for me - I need
two studio classes to finish first year, and I was thinking of making
Fibre the other one. Now textiles I can really get into!

I'm pretty excited right now - I went out of town for a model horse
show and I won a set of needle files in a raffle (the prizes are
always so neat like that). Just the thing I need for sanding away
without clobbering the whole piece :-)

Best,
Christine

Old July 9th 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Christina Peterson

As a kid, I was always last to be picked for a team. Couldn't catch, etc.
And I drop things a lot. But I've always done arts and crafts and never
thought of myself as clumsy. In my 40s I took some aptitude tests and was
told that both my manual and digital dexterity were just a hair better than
sub-normal! So now I look back at being taught to throw and catch,
remembering all the comments about, not trying hard enough, not paying
attention, etc, and I didn't catch because my fingers aren't smart. Not
because of not caring, etc, That's a good thing.

I'm sure I could get better, but probably never real good, and certainly
never fast enough to make it worth doing. The good thing about that
realization, is that I now use better materials to justify my time and
prices.

I've also taken a weaving course. Many people find the rhythm of it
soothing, but I find it repetitive. I love working with wood because of the
interaction between my hands and the wood; the way the wood calls for a
certain flow. I've wanted to make a big free-style fibre sculpture, but you
really have to due the plain stuff first to develop your skills. ......
So I'm sure I'll never do it.

You definitely should go with the fibre class if that's what you love.

Any chance you can get yourself a Dremmel drill set?

Tina

ups.com...

Old July 11th 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Vibrant Jewels

I was always the last person picked in gym class for teams... and I always
felt so clumsy and inept. It really wrecks your self-esteem. Maybe that's
why I'm not a sports fan now. It's a pity that the powers that be didn't try
harder to accomodate the physically challenged in exercise activities. I was
like a mermaid in the water though (of course I never went to a school that
had a swimming pool!) - maybe that's why I love the beach so much. And now I
do Curves... and probably am stronger than I've ever been.

I love beading, but am not so good at wire wrapping and attaching
findings... but I keep trying!

--
Karleen Page
Member International Jewelry Designers Guild (IJDG)
"Christina Peterson" wrote in message
[...]

ups.com...

Old July 15th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

Karleen, I went to junior high/high school in the 90s, and
unfortunately even by then the powers that be hadn't evened anything
out! I opted out of swimming for four years because I was too scared
of the bully girls in the change room (found out recently that one of
them is a prison guard, go figure!) to change. I recently started
swimming (or floating :-D) and it makes me sad that I could have
learned to swim and enjoyed it all these years. Even sadder that it's
only getting close to 30 where I can say I actually like my body too
and am not afraid of swimsuits. Keep having fun at Curves!

Best,
Christine

Old July 16th 07, 04:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

Not because of not caring, etc, That's a good thing.

Totally! It's crazy how traumatizing gym class can be...people always
think you don't care or are lazy or something.

I've also taken a weaving course. Many people find the rhythm of it
soothing, but I find it repetitive. I love working with wood because of the
interaction between my hands and the wood; the way the wood calls for a
certain flow. I've wanted to make a big free-style fibre sculpture, but you
really have to due the plain stuff first to develop your skills. ......
So I'm sure I'll never do it.

I have seen a lot of neat fibre sculptures at the art college, I have
no idea how they put them together though! What sort of things do you
make from wood? I'm really liking working with clay - there's
something so nice about it.

You definitely should go with the fibre class if that's what you love.

Oh, my textile fantasies! LOL...

Any chance you can get yourself a Dremmel drill set?

Now that you mention it, a Dremmel would be very handy for a lot of
things. My birthday is coming up in October, now I know what to ask
hubs for :-D When I was taking Painting 101 and we had to build our
own canvas, I seriously thought about getting a nail gun :-)

I'll write more tomorrow...we have a tornado warning and I gotta
batten down the hatches :-)

Best,
Christine