Needle/Hook Size

Old January 22nd 04, 04:28 AM
Sonya Cirillo

Some other thoughts - to go with the ones you've recieved already. . .

yes, needle size and yarn size both matter - gauge is important so that
you can achieve a particular sized object. . . but also you need to
consider the fabric. . .you can achieve very interesting effects by
using a needle 'too large' for a particular yarn. . . actually US 10.5
works well with heavy worsted like Homespun, or Dazzleaire (to name just
a couple).

For an item that will be more 'hard wearing' (like for socks) it's
usually recommended to use 1-2 needles sizes less than 'normal' for the
yarn to come up with a more 'firm' fabric.

Or you can combine 2 or more yarns together and create a bulky yarn
which would knit well with the US 10.5. . .

It all depends on what *you* want

Many designers start with a particular yarn and play with needle sizes
and/or combining with other yarn(s) and when a pleasing fabric is
achieved - they then design a scarf, sweater, afghan. . . . other times
you might see a certain effect in a store sweater and want to try and
duplicate it. . .

Sonya

Kathryn wrote:
Hi all!

I was wondering if it REALLY matters what size needles you knit with or what
size hook you crochet with. I see that each skein of yarn tells what size
to use, but I assume they're just guidelines. Of course you probably have
to use the size specified if you're following a pattern, but what if you're
not?

I ask because I was just at Micheals and I bought size 10 1/2 (6.5mm)
knitting needles because they were marked down to $2.00 since they're going
to stop carrying them, and I don't have any yarn that calls for 6.5mm
needles!

Thanks!
Kathryn

Old January 22nd 04, 06:25 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Kathryn
why would the shop stop] carrying them ,, it is quite a common `middle
sized` needle ????
As to your question if it really matters,,,, i see that there are many
answers ? and will firs go and read what our Council of Experts wrote
, so i won`t double any answer given
but YES it does ...
mirjam

Old January 22nd 04, 09:27 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Ohh something to look forward to,, i just got my fall 2003 ,,,,
mirjam
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 17:18:08 -0600, "Shillelagh"
wrote:

"Slinky" wrote in message
.. .
Find some nice wool, knit a hat the size of a 3-gallon bucket and toss
it in the washer. Magic will happen.

Har, Slinky - you always make me smile. What a great idea!

Have you seen the red & black felted bag in the Winter 2003 Knitter's?? I
love it! If I can ever get my two sweater projects out of the way I want to
make that one.

Shelagh

Old January 22nd 04, 09:27 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

And use the swatch as a base for some other project !!
mirjam [ just finnished some dolls made from some swatches .
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 01:14:09 GMT, "Janise Ross"
wrote:

"Karen in MN" wrote in message
m...
what is the rule-of-thumb guideline for
how big to make something if you're going to felt it -- like maybe twice

the
desired finished size?

Karen in MN

Karen,
My best suggestion is to swatch and then felt the swatch. Then you can
see how your "fabric" will change and plan accordingly.

Janise