Sweaters

Old January 21st 04, 08:34 PM
Karen in MN

Default Sweaters

Had to share these, they came in my newsletter from Mental Floss (which is
right up there with Knitters and Vogue Knitting for my favorite magazines
Hope I'm not breaking any copyrights, I didn't see anything on there about
not copying it.

* Sweaters were originally knitted from unwashed wool, because the natural
oils made the garment more waterproof.

* In the early 1940s, Boeing Aircraft Company once sent home 53 women for
wearing tight sweaters on the job. When the union objected, Management
enlisted the help of the National Safety Council, who claimed that sweaters
were a fire hazard because they attracted static electricity.

* The late Fred Rogers zipped himself into a comfy cardigan at the beginning
of each episode of "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood." This was, in part, a
tribute to his mom, who'd made all his sweaters, and who knitted a sweater a
month for family and friends. Today one of Mr. Rogers' red sweaters hangs in
the Smithsonian, and is the third most requested exhibit by tourists.

* According to the Varsity Leather Award Society, the first letterman
sweaters were worn in 1891 by the Harvard Nine baseball team. The earliest
photographic evidence of a high school letter sweater they could find was in
a 1911 yearbook photo showing some students at Phoenix Union High School
wearing V-neck sweaters with a "P" on the left side.

* The colorful sweaters worn by Bill Cosby as Dr. Heathcliff Huxtable on
"The Cosby Show" were all hand knitted by designer Suss Cousins using a
combination of cashmere and mohair.

* In the 19th century, Commander James Thomas Brudenell led the famed Charge
of the Light Brigade that was later immortalized in a poem by Alfred Lord
Tennyson. Brudenell's style of sweater outlived him, though, as it borrowed
its name from his title -- the seventh earl of Cardigan.

And a sweater quote for good measu

* "If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater...
suggest that he wear a tail." -- Fran Lebowitz

Old January 22nd 04, 01:21 AM
JJMolvik

"Karen in MN" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I have a Boston Terrier that won't agree with that last item. He shivers
terribly if it's cold & I don't put his sweater on him. He also loves his
sweater 'cause then he can itch his OWN back by rolling!

JJMolvik

Old January 22nd 04, 06:25 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Karen Thank you for this Sweaterologia,
,,, mirjam

Old January 22nd 04, 06:25 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

JJMOLVIK sent you an email but it came back ,
mirjam
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 17:21:52 -0800, "JJMolvik"
wrote:

. ..