Socks progress

Old January 18th 04, 05:43 PM
C. Mathews

Default Socks progress

Well, I am sure that some of you more experienced knitters will have a
chuckle over my progress report, but I am not laughing. :-(

I am using the yarn that makes its own pattern. The directions said to use
size 2 or 3 dpns. I only had # 3 so I used them.

Now I find that the sock is too baggy, and I don't like the way the pattern
does the heel and toe. I finally figured it out after some advice from my
friends here but I still prefer the fit and ease of my old pattern.

This makes the 4th time I have knitted down to where I could try the sock on
and ripped it out and started over.

This is not funny!

Now, I am in need of # 2 dpns and am in the boondocks. I just went searching
online and the darn shipping costs are more than the price of inexpensive
needles. So I am held up again until I can get the size smaller needles.

I am determined this is not going to beat me. Since these socks are for my
daughter next Christmas..I have plenty of time, but I am sure getting sick
of looking at this color wool, and I had dreams of knitting her several
pairs.

One other thing, the pattern that I was using did not mention adding any
kind of reinforcing yarn to the heel and toe. The yarn is wool with a little
nylon for strength, sock/fingering yarn weight. Should I add something for
the heels and toes? I hate to think of all this work and the heels and toes
going quick.

Carla

Old January 18th 04, 08:03 PM
Maine-iac Rose

I for 1 am not laughing, and sure there are other that are not also. You
can of course purchase the size 2 needles, but probably won't make too much
difference. Or you can find another pattern to get the socks the right size
that you want, or change the pattern that you have just a bit, to get the
sock just the right size.
Sometimes life throws something at us, that just frustrates us more, but I
found that if you just put aside whatever it is that is bothering you, in
your case the knitted socks, and don't even think about them for a while,
the answer will come to you in time.
I remember trying to get this transmission on to the back of the engine,
couldn't afford to send to mechanic, so DH and I tried, but to no avail. We
tried for 2 or 3 days, and just couldn't get it. Well he went back to work,
I went out to the garage, lay under the car, was looking and said, there
must be an easier way to get this done. Well it finally hit me, put the
bolt in backwards from the engine towards the transmission. I got it to go
in, took some time, but finally got it in place. When I got it tight up
against the engine, I put the remaining bolts in place the right way, took
out the backwards bolts, put them in the right way. started up the car, had
to adjust the clutch, but got her to go forwards and backwards. it was
night time, but called my DH and told him that I got the tranny in, he was
amazed, and told his working buddies, and they were in awe also. the next
day I drove to see him, and the others just applauded me when I drove thru
the gate. well in a years time, we had a leak at the back side of the
engine, that time we brought it to a mechanic, so that they could do it
right. but just goes to show you, that whatever it is that is frustrating
you, the answer will get there some time.

Good luck...Maine-iac Rose

Old January 18th 04, 08:51 PM
Katherine

Carla,
I never laugh at knitters and their problems. I have had many of them
myself, and continue to do so at times.
Is this a new pattern to you? It seems odd that they would tell you to use
size 2 OR 3 needles. I never reinforce my heels or toes. They DO wear out,
which is a pain, but I just never think of it until too late. Maybe next
summer, I will have a look for some kind of reinforcing material.
Good luck with them
Katherine

Old January 18th 04, 10:38 PM
Sorceress

C. Mathews opined thusly:

Well, I am sure that some of you more experienced knitters will have a
chuckle over my progress report, but I am not laughing. :-(

Chuckling over someone elses troubles is not my style. ;-)

I am using the yarn that makes its own pattern. The directions said to
use size 2 or 3 dpns. I only had # 3 so I used them.

Now I find that the sock is too baggy, and I don't like the way the
pattern does the heel and toe. I finally figured it out after some
advice from my friends here but I still prefer the fit and ease of my
old pattern.

I do socks all the time on the "wrong" size needles. Only 1 size up or down
just doesn't make all that much difference when it comes to socks. Glad you
figured out the technique, even if only to decide you didn't like it. :-)

This makes the 4th time I have knitted down to where I could try the
sock on and ripped it out and started over.

If the yarn is the thing, and not the technique or pattern, perhaps try
switching it to a "toe-up" sock? You can try those on after only a very few
rows. If the socks are done in plain stockinette, you can easily increase
or decrease the stitch count as you go.

This is not funny!

I agree. It can be very frustrating. I have probably 4 pair of socks in
progress in my stash cabinet. I have put them there so they might ponder
and meditate on the error of their ways and return to me as happy and well-
adjusted socks. Some of them have been there for 2 years. Stubborn
creatures, socks!

Now, I am in need of # 2 dpns and am in the boondocks. I just went
searching online and the darn shipping costs are more than the price of
inexpensive needles. So I am held up again until I can get the size
smaller needles.

IMO switching from #3 to #2 will not make all that much of a difference if
the socks are very baggy. A stitch count adjustment could be in order even
if you were on the correct size needle. When I come up on this situation, I
fall back and do some swatching to figure out my stitch count and adjust
the pattern accordingly.

FWIW I can get #2 dpns close by and would be happy to send them via USPS
for the cost of the dpns and postage. Not a biggie. Drop me a private e-
mail if you wish to discuss it.

I am determined this is not going to beat me. Since these socks are for
my daughter next Christmas..I have plenty of time, but I am sure getting
sick of looking at this color wool, and I had dreams of knitting her
several pairs.

Perhaps set them aside for a few weeks so they can meditate on the errors
of their ways? :-)

One other thing, the pattern that I was using did not mention adding any
kind of reinforcing yarn to the heel and toe. The yarn is wool with a
little nylon for strength, sock/fingering yarn weight. Should I add
something for the heels and toes? I hate to think of all this work and
the heels and toes going quick.

I never add reinforcing thread/yarn to my socks. If they develop holes I
just re-knit the troubled area. If it increases your happiness with the
finished product, then by all means add some!

--
Regards
--Anne

Blogging to be found at http://www.emptycauldron.com/weblog/musings.html

Remove DIESPAMBOTDIE to e-mail
Old January 18th 04, 11:07 PM
Sonya Cirillo

Well, I've been knitting for 20+ years and been knitting socks for 3+
years - about 10 pair so far. . . and I'm not laughing - but I have to
tell you - that I do this constantly - why because I change the yarn,
the pattern, the method, the person. . . the pair I'm currently
working, I *think* I have it right. . . DH was a 'pointy' foot, so I'm
trying to design a sock with a toe that matches his. I've knitted,
frogged, knitted, frogged. . . 5 times - I'm on the 6th try and almost
done with the first one - time for the final try out OK - I *might*
sigh if he decides it doesn't fit so far I've spent 2 weeks on this
sock (~1-2 hrs a day, in-between classes - the second sock will be 4-5
hours tops. But each time I do this - change yarn etc. I keep track of
the pattern I create and I can go back and recreate the socks (except DD
and DS are growing - sigh).

I tell you this - not to discourage you, but to encourage you to write
down everything you do - so that when it's exactly the way you want it -
then you have this pattern for everytime you want to make DD a sock
using this weight of sock yarn But I warn you - there's so many
patterns and different sock yarns out there that you'll be tempted (and
I'm afraid the process - to a certain extent must be repeated!)

If the fabric created with the US3 seems firm enough (or is to your
liking) you could redo the sock with fewer stitches instead of waiting
for needles - it is possible to make your own needles too, but I just
got out my calculator and US2 doesn't translate easily to inches - so
scratch that thought - might be even harder to find piano wire in 2.75
mm than to get dpns!

Otherwise feel free to 'whine' to us - we understand and care! (and
many of us *know* where you are at - we've been there too!)

As far as reinforcing - some do, some don't - I don't, but the 'sock'
yarns usually have nylon in them for the added strength and reports by
sock knitters are that the socks made with this type of yarn lasts and
lasts and lasts (we'll see).

Sonya

Old January 18th 04, 11:18 PM
Karen in MN

"C. Mathews" wrote in message
[...]

Oh Carla, I sympathize with you, and believe me, I don't think there's any
of us here that would get a chuckle out of knitting problems! I think
we've all had our share of them, and frustration is NOT funny. FWIW, the
first time I ventured into this group it was when, as a sweater newbie, I
bound off the neck line WAY too tight and literally got it stuck on my face,
across the eyes and the bridge of the nose. There's a situation that is
crying out to be laughed at, and no one here did, but they DID tell me how
to not have it happen again.

Coincidentally, I just came from a class at my LYS and the instructor was
showing us a pair of socks she was making out of self-striping yarn. She
said that she had changed the heel style to something called a "strong
heel", because she didn't like the way heels came out with self-striping
yarn. That's the first time i ever heard of a "strong heel", or even
realized that self-striping yarn could cause a problem pattern-wise with a
standard gusset-type heel (although it makes sense when I think about it).
So I can't tell you how to do one, but but I'll bet someone else here would
know, or you could even google for it. This instructor makes a lot of socks
in sock-weight yarn, she always has a new pair on that she's made every time
I see her, and someone asked her about reinforcements, and she never does
it.

Most of the socks I've made have been out of worsted weight, I'm more
comfortable working with it, but I did attempt one pair out of Fortissima
Colori sockweight yarn, which was difficult for me after working with
heavier weight yarn til then. I had the same problem where it just didn't
feel tight enough. I played around with different size needles, went down
as far as a 2, but that was too hard to work with. I ended up going back to
doing them up with 3s, and when they were done (when IT was done -- I didn't
finish the second sock yet), they didn't turn out as loose as I thought
they were going to be when I was working with them.

BTW -- when I hit a snag like that, where I have ripped something out more
than once -- I put it aside and work on something else. Once away from it
for awhile, I'm usually more able to get back into it.

Karen in MN

Old January 19th 04, 12:28 AM
Sorceress

Karen in MN opined thusly:

That's the first time i ever heard of a "strong heel", or even
realized that self-striping yarn could cause a problem pattern-wise with a
standard gusset-type heel (although it makes sense when I think about it).
So I can't tell you how to do one, but but I'll bet someone else here would
know, or you could even google for it.

Knitters's Fall 2003 has a nice long article entitled "Strong-heel Socks".
Detailed instructions on the heel, and a really neat way to make patterened
socks too.

Strong heels are very quick to work up and look nice. I whipped out a pair
over the course of 2 weekends.

Old January 19th 04, 01:07 AM
Richard Eney

In article ,
Karen in MN wrote:
"C. Mathews" wrote

I am using the yarn that makes its own pattern. The directions said to use
size 2 or 3 dpns. I only had # 3 so I used them.

Now I find that the sock is too baggy, and I don't like the way the
pattern does the heel and toe.

snip
nylon for strength, sock/fingering yarn weight. Should I add something for
the heels and toes?

Since there is already nylon in them, adding more nylon might strengthen
them a little but the nylon that is already there should be enough.

Coincidentally, I just came from a class at my LYS and the instructor was
showing us a pair of socks she was making out of self-striping yarn. She
said that she had changed the heel style to something called a "strong
heel", because she didn't like the way heels came out with self-striping
yarn.

snip

Any method of doing the heel is not going to match the rest of the sock
because the rows will be different lengths. However, you might find
a plain colored sock yarn that matches one of the self-striping colors
and use that for the heels and toes.

I ended up going back to doing them up with 3s, and
when they were done (when IT was done -- I didn't
finish the second sock yet), they didn't turn out as loose as
I thought they were going to be when I was working with them.

I think I've read comments about 'figure how many stitches to fit
around the foot without stretching and then reduce it by 10%' for
socks. However, the knitting itself might tend to stretch the yarn
slightly - you know how socks tend to stretch when worn and then
snap back to size when washed? - so that might be why they seem
baggy even when they have what ought to be the right number of
stitches. You might have to do an experimental sock to find out
whether that is what happens.

=Tamar
Old January 22nd 04, 12:30 PM
Sarah Carter

Ria Van de Velde wrote in message =

Yesterday I vivsited a friend who was knitting socks with
self-striping Regia. It was the first time I saw this yarn "in
action" as I know nobody else here in my neighbourhood who knits
socks. I had an extra llok at her heels because I had seen this post
the day before. She uses what in my (Dutch) book is called a
European heel, and the stripes came out just fine, even in the heel.

I've just come back from my holiday in Finalnd and found some Jacquard =
regia, so of course I had to buy it!

I asked in my local yarn store here for it and the lady looked at me =
like I was crazy when I tried to explain it (

Sarah
--=20

My first socks Ria Van de Velde Yarn 5 January 8th 04 10:19 AM
socks for preschooler? enigma Yarn 7 December 11th 03 08:09 PM
Socks bug hit here :-))) Anna MCM Yarn 9 November 27th 03 03:21 PM
Socks and more socks Cori Yarn 12 October 12th 03 10:49 AM