New Intn'l Standards

Old January 21st 04, 07:25 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

Default New Intn'l Standards

I just got my newest issue of the Wool Rag and Knitology and they've listed
the new International yarn standards... so I thought I'd share!

1 2 3 4 5 6
Super Fine Light Medium Bulky Super
Fine Bulky

Tradional Names

Sock Sport DK Worsted Chunky Bulky
Fingering Baby Light- Afghan Craft Roving
Baby worsted Aran Rug

Stockinette st. gauge rang 10cm/4inches

27 sts 23 sts 21 sts 16 sts 12 sts 6 sts
to to to to to to
32 sts 26 sts 24 sts 20 sts 15 sts 11 sts

Recommended Needle Metric

2mm 3.25mm 3.75mm 4.5mm 5.5mm 9mm
to to to to to to
3.25 3.75 4.5 5.5 8 16

Recommended Needle US

1 to 3 3 to 5 5 to 7 7 to 9 9 to 13 13 to 19

YWIA!!
(you're welcome, in advance!)
Hugs,
Noreen

--
STRIP * tease * to email me.
Old January 21st 04, 09:55 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:06:38 +0100, B Vaughan wrote:

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:25:09 -0600, Noreen's Knit*che
wrote:

I just got my newest issue of the Wool Rag and Knitology and they've listed
the new International yarn standards... so I thought I'd share!

1 2 3 4 5 6
Super Fine Light Medium Bulky Super
Fine Bulky

Tradional Names

Sock Sport DK Worsted Chunky Bulky
Fingering Baby Light- Afghan Craft Roving
Baby worsted Aran Rug

Stockinette st. gauge rang 10cm/4inches

27 sts 23 sts 21 sts 16 sts 12 sts 6 sts
to to to to to to
32 sts 26 sts 24 sts 20 sts 15 sts 11 sts

Recommended Needle Metric

2mm 3.25mm 3.75mm 4.5mm 5.5mm 9mm
to to to to to to
3.25 3.75 4.5 5.5 8 16

Recommended Needle US

1 to 3 3 to 5 5 to 7 7 to 9 9 to 13 13 to 19

Thanks so much, Noreen, I've been wanting to see something like this.

Unfortunately, as you can see, the spacing came out very wierd at
least in my newsreader. I was able to figure most of it out, but the
traditional names were a bit confusing, as the three lines seemed to
overlap in places. Also two different columns have "baby" in them.
--------
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.

Barbara, I had a feeling it might do this... it worked perfectly on my
default newsreader, but when I went to another, it came out all icky!
Email me at noreens_knitche at yahoo dot com and I'll send it to you as a
nice table in rtf form.
Hugs,
Noreen

--
STRIP * tease * to email me.
Old January 21st 04, 10:50 PM
Slinky

Is this from the "standards" being touted by (among others) XRX and
most other North American yarn manufacturers? Yarn Industry Council -
that's what I wanted. Seems to be comprised of yarn manufacturers and
other industry mavens who are based in North America.

I think working gauge is more important to have on the ballband than
the weight of the yarn. Not every manufacturer (read: yarn companies
based in countries where English isn't the first or second or even
third language) are going to recognize the new "standards".

And as a handspinner I'm familiar with grist as well, which is a
measurement that tells you how many hanks of a specified yardage and
mass (which is related to but not the same as weight) comprise an
avoidirpois pound of the fiber in question. This is a well-recognized
industry standard in the commercial weaving and spinning industries.
Handweavers use it more than spinners, but spinners who want to
produce consistent yardage must be familiar with it as well.

I got these "guidelines" with my L1 MHK packet and I had to actually
go digging through these guidelines to answer some of the questions.
I'll tell you honestly the new system doesn't mean much to me, but
neither do most metric measurements and I supposedly started using
them in elementary school.

Old January 22nd 04, 05:06 AM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:25:09 -0600, Noreen's Knit*che wrote:

I just got my newest issue of the Wool Rag and Knitology and they've listed
the new International yarn standards... so I thought I'd share!

1 2 3 4 5
Super Fine Light Medium Bulky
Fine

6
Super
Bulky

Tradional Names

Sock Sport DK Worsted Chunky
Fingering Baby Light- Afghan Craft
Baby worsted Aran

Bulky
Roving
Rug

Stockinette st. gauge rang 10cm/4inches

27 sts 23 sts 21 sts 16 sts 12 sts
to to to to to
32 sts 26 sts 24 sts 20 sts 15 sts

6 sts
11 sts

Recommended Needle Metric

2mm 3.25mm 3.75mm 4.5mm 5.5mm
to to to to to
3.25 3.75 4.5 5.5 8

9mm
16

Recommended Needle US

1 to 3 3 to 5 5 to 7 7 to 9 9 to 13

13 to 19

Tried rearranging it so newsreaders with small wraps can 'get' it....
HTH,
Noreen

--
Noreen's Knit*che
(Knitting, Crocheting, Tatting, Bobbin-Lace and Spinning are my NICHE in
Old January 22nd 04, 10:47 AM
Ria Van de Velde

Thank you very much, Noreen. I have saved this.

I have always been a little bit lost when you all were speaking about
yarn weight. Here we have only the gauge on the label. That's fine
to me when buying yarn, but difficult to compare here in the ng.

With love from belgium
Ria

riavdv at pandora dot be
Old January 22nd 04, 01:09 PM
Yarn Forward

If you want more info, go to

http://www.yarnstandards.com

This is not an international standard by any means - it is a standard originated
by the Craft Yarn Council of America, supposedly with some international input.

Roger.

Noreen's Knit*che wrote:

--
Yarn Forward
Your On Line Yarn Store

Old January 22nd 04, 02:54 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:47:55 GMT, Ria Van de Velde wrote:

Thank you very much, Noreen. I have saved this.

I have always been a little bit lost when you all were speaking about
yarn weight. Here we have only the gauge on the label. That's fine
to me when buying yarn, but difficult to compare here in the ng.

With love from belgium
Ria

riavdv at pandora dot be

You are welcome, Ria!