slippery sock yarn?

Old January 20th 04, 11:38 PM
Richard Eney

Default slippery sock yarn?

In article OTtLa.103116$Dr3.31468@fed1read02,
Allaya Diep wrote:

I've seen some cotton/lycra blends at the LYS recently. I'm not sure how
well those yarns would knit up into socks, but it might be worth a try.
Actually, what am I talking about...I actually bought a cone of the stuff
from Elann.com. It makes a wonderfully nice, stretchy pullover. I'm sure
it would also make a nice sock. It was Silk City Softball yarn. They might
still have some if you check. It was only $12 a pound or something like
that...although I doubt you'd need that many socks.

Speaking of thin, stretchy yarn, I have an odd skein (another 25-cent
thrift shop buy) that I don't know what to do with. It's actually a thin,
flat tube (of knitted thread) that is about the thickness of fingering
yarn or thinner, so it's very stretchy (and cut ends would probably ravel,
so as few cut ends as possible would be advisable). I think it's
polyester, because it's shiny and it's very slippery too, but not
impossibly slippery. I did manage to wind it into a ball - two balls,
really - it was one of those insanely tangled skeins that people donate to
get rid of them - but it was slippery enough so I managed to untangle it
in only three days :-)

But I have no idea what to make with it. It's too slippery and limp to
make socks, though from the size of the wad I assume there are about 100g
or the equivalent. It's probably too slippery to stay on as a hat.
There isn't enough to make a sweater, even for a very small child. I'm
vaguely considering a crocheted scarf or perhaps knitted to be round
(though not moebius). By the way, it's a nice bright lemon yellow.

Any ideas? What _do_ people make out of stuff like this?

=Tamar
Old January 20th 04, 11:49 PM
Slinky

Scarf to show off that marvelous shawl pin?

Sock Yarn littlewings67 Marketplace 0 January 20th 05 09:08 AM
Fun Fur, Sock Yarn, Cottons, Other Yarn for Sale ellbee Marketplace 0 April 6th 04 03:12 PM
Socks: sport weight or sock yarn? Knitterbugs Yarn 21 December 26th 03 02:25 AM
Sock and Fingering YARN? Kitty Fluff Yarn 6 December 6th 03 12:03 AM
Aaaaaaaagghhh!! Slippery yarn rant... CMM PDX2 Yarn 8 September 1st 03 07:27 PM