Beading for Boys, and Beading Daily

Old April 27th 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Christina Peterson

Default Beading for Boys, and Beading Daily

I know someone else here subscribes to or visits Beading Daily, because they
linked to the interview with Kandice there.
http://www.beadingdaily.com/posts/

I get a post most days, which I find interesting about half the time. They
had a post, with additional subscriber comments, on Beading For Boys which I
commented on as follows:

I think the comment about men having trouble with bracelets or longer
necklaces clanking and catching is interesting, since those are objections I
have too. And I never make jewelry tougher for men than for women, since I
also require very tough jewelry, with practical toggles. And on Spectra
line instead of Sofflex, which will deform if stuffed in a pocket.

I gave my future son in law two necklaces (before I'd even met him) which
were both very successful. One was quite simple: a cylindrical borosilicate
lampwork bead on 4 mm braided leather with a couple bali beads on either
side, and heavy bali end caps. The other was more ornate: a full set of
10-12 mm borosilicate lampwork (Beads of Passion) with 12, 10 and 8 mm
pyrite rounds and lots
of bali. Larger findings cost more but provide a visual balance. Intricate
work in subtle colors worked well.

I've also made traditional 3 or 4 strand chokers with bone hairpipe or
dentalia.

My husband loves the beaded crochet bag I made him. Single crochet cotton,
through both top threads makes it almost indestructible: a variegated
pattern
of blues.

A long haired hippy musher postman wears big beautiful beaded barrettes his
wife makes.

Zipper pulls work better for me than cell phone charms, but for my
daughter's wedding I'm making uni-sex pendants that can be used for a
necklace, cell phone, zipper or key chain.

I haven't been successful with necklaces for my bearded husband, though a
mountain man necklace is in the works for him to wear at my daughter's
wedding. I bead
around walking sticks, and also made a peyote bezel around one of his
healing stones.

Tina

Old April 29th 08, 04:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Band Mommy

On Apr 27, 4:56 pm, "Christina Peterson" wrote:
[...]

I, too, have found some minor limitations, when creating pieces for
the males. But, when I do my beading workshops at the library, I
generally get four to five "boys", and not just the younger ones. Some
of them are very naturally talented. And they have come up with some
very cool ideas for their creations. I guess it all just comes down to
the individuals personal taste and lifestyle.

Karole