Fulling Cashmere

Old September 9th 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

Default Fulling Cashmere

I have several old cashmere sweaters that have seen better days, and
I'd like to recycle them by fulling and using the fabric for
projects. I have a front loading washer that is really gentle on
clothes. I washed a light blue sweater using the hot cycle with
detergent and a pair of jeans. Not much fulling occurred. I don't
know if it was my washer or the fibers, which probably had been
bleached before dyeing.

Does anyone have any advice about fulling cashmere? I've heard of
putting a tennis ball in the wash, putting the sweater in a zippered
pillow case, and drastic temperature change. I don't know if I can
achieve drastic temp change in my washer. I've also heard of using a
clean plunger in the sink. Does anyone have any experience with these
approaches, or have any other suggestions?

TIA

Hesira

Old September 9th 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"hesira" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Do it the old way - tread the items in a tub full of urine.

Mary

Old September 9th 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

Does anyone have any advice about fulling cashmere? I've heard of
putting a tennis ball in the wash, putting the sweater in a zippered
pillow case, and drastic temperature change. I don't know if I can
achieve drastic temp change in my washer. I've also heard of using a
clean plunger in the sink. Does anyone have any experience with these
approaches, or have any other suggestions?

TIA

Hesira

Take a trip to your friendly neighborhood laundromat and use their
top-loaders!!

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans

Old September 9th 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"hesira" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have several old cashmere sweaters that have seen better days, and
I'd like to recycle them by fulling and using the fabric for
projects. I have a front loading washer that is really gentle on
clothes. I washed a light blue sweater using the hot cycle with
detergent and a pair of jeans. Not much fulling occurred. I don't
know if it was my washer or the fibers, which probably had been
bleached before dyeing.

From what I've read/heard, you really need a top loader washer.
When I needed to replace my washer recently, I bought a top loader
because I still wanted to be able to full/felt stuff.

If the fibres were bleached before dyeing, then it's unlikely they'll
shrink very well.

Shelagh

Old September 9th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

Now, Mary,

Where am I going to get that much pee?

I hope you're kidding!

Hesira

Old September 9th 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

I've thought about that. I've been experimenting today and some of
the old sweaters (cashmere) full more readily than others. I'm going
to put them all through a cycle and see which ones need to take a trip
to the laundry mat.

Hesira

Old September 9th 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

I have several wool and several cashmere (bought at a salvage store)
sweaters that have moth holes and other problems. I've sent several
through the wash today, and am having varied luck. Regardless of how
the fulling turns out, I can find a way to use the final product.

Hesira

From what I've read/heard, you really need a top loader washer.

Old September 9th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

I was flipping through a book at BAM the other day that had really
beautiful felt/fulling projects. I was interested in the ones that
were pictorial, with applique (SP?). I thought about slippers, small
purses, etc. I just hate the idea of that good fiber wasting away.

I can't recall the name of the book, but I think I'm heading back for
a second look or a purchase.

Hesira

On Sep 9, 11:06 am, Wooly nobody@nunya wrote:

I have a woven cashmere shirt. I routinely put it through the washer
(top-loader) and dryer. In the 10 years I've had it I've washed it
about 30 times - I use it like a sweater or light jacket - and it has
lost about an inch in length and somewhat less in width.

Maybe you can use the sweater fabric to make cut-sew footies using a
"fleece" pattern.

Old September 9th 07, 11:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

In the interest of ecology and economy, could I put a bunch of
different colored, different fibered sweaters in the same washer.
Would I have to separate them by like colors and put each group in a
zippered bag? That would probably be the best way to avoid lint
tranferring from dark/light & opposing colors.

Old September 10th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"hesira" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have several wool and several cashmere (bought at a salvage store)
sweaters that have moth holes and other problems. I've sent several
through the wash today, and am having varied luck. Regardless of how
the fulling turns out, I can find a way to use the final product.

Hesira

A few months ago I found (and bought) a gorgeous red cashmere
sweater at Value Village with the intent of using it in a felting project.
Nah..... love that sweater the way it is and I wear it as a big tunic in
the winter - cuz it was some guy's L or XL.... (laugh)

Shelagh