Baby Lock Quilter's Choice

Old February 22nd 04, 06:16 PM

Default Baby Lock Quilter's Choice

Terri,
I got a Baby Lock QC for Xmas this year and really really really like it!
My only other machine at the time was a Singer 348 from 1968. But you if
you want one of these babies, shop around for price. Mine was under $900.
My LQS is a distributor (actually he says he sold the most Baby Locks in
the country last year -- maybe because his price is so good?)

My old Singer has the disks you put in to change decorative stitches --
but "Baby" has buttons to push and makes about 100 times as many
stitches. I think Singer will soon go to eBay ...

--
Anne in CA
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl

dogsnus wrote:

I test drove one of these yesterday whilst buying a dual needle
for my machine.

http://www.babylock.com/sewing-embro...roduct_ID=BLQC

Does anyone else have one of these Baby Locks?
Pros/cons?
I'd never heard of this brand name before.
It was NICE_!
I know this may sound pretty funny to some of you
who have newer machines,so bear with me.I haven't looked at sewing
machines for @ 30 years,and all_ of this is new to me.
My Singer, at the time I got it, was a fancy one in that you
could turn the knobs to creat some decorative stitching.
That was a big deal to me.
Compared to what's out there now, however...

Things that excited me whe

The light bulb that put out a different spectrum that
made it easier to see.

The auto-cut feature.

The auto-thread feature.

The quietness.

The auto stop.

The programmable embroidery and monogram stitches.

It was SWEET! It was also $1300.00.
Sigh...
I came home and turned on my old,but trusty Singer.
For a minute, though, I felt like a kid in a candy shop.

Terri

remove NOSPAM to reply
Old February 22nd 04, 07:24 PM
Leslie in Missouri

Check out the Janome 6500- it has all that and more PLUS one of the
largest areas under the arm for machine quilting BIG quilts! And you'll
be able to buy it for about the same price.

Leslie (dreaming of that 1000 stitches per minute and the POWER... I'm
gonna get one!)

Old February 22nd 04, 08:37 PM
Pati Cook

Hi Terri,
I used to sell BabyLock machines. G BabyLock makes sergers and also
contracts out for companion machines. They are distributed by Tacony
Corp. Many of the BL companion machines are wonderful machines and very
good. This is a newer model so I don't know who makes it.
Newer machines are quieter because of a number of reasons. One of which
is the use of an electronic foot pedal. Which also means that when you
slow down the speed of the machine you don't lose power to the needle (On
the old mechanicals, when you slow down you may have to "help" the
machine by turning the balance wheel by hand to help the needle penetrate
heavy or thick layers of fabric.)

Pati, in Phx

Old February 22nd 04, 10:45 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

We played with this at the sewing show on Friday. It was a nice
machine! If you are interested in it, shop around. The store whose
booth had these sold them for $899. A big difference in price!

marcella

Old February 23rd 04, 04:38 PM
Pati Cook

Not sure about the salesman's take on Berninas. I know there are people who
love them and some who do not.
I do know, (and one of the other brands of machines I "sold" were Singers) that
I would think long and hard about buying a new Singer machine. The name is
what people are buying and that is what has been sold, I mean as a business the
Singer name has changed hands, several times in the last 25 years. The last
lower end Singer machines we had in the store were not well made. They sounded
like "tractors" and I hated having to even show them to anyone. Today's Singer
is not near the quality of the ones before 1975 or so.
When you start looking around, and even now, take time to try as many different
machines as you can. The machine that is my dream may be your nightmare. Also
shop for a dealer you like and who is straight with you. I tend to have a
negative reaction to a dealer who "disses" any other brand or dealer. Some
will give you the true story, but some are just bad mouthing to make the sale.
Talk to independent repair techs if you can. As well as owners of the brand or
specific machine you are looking at.
Something that you should be able to do is find out when an owners' class is
and then drop by to see how the classes are handled as well as the owners.

Good luck, you will find sewing so much more enjoyable and easy on a new
machine.......... not to mention fun G.

Pati, in Phx.

dogsnus wrote:

Pati Cook wrote in
:

Hi Terri,
I used to sell BabyLock machines. G BabyLock makes sergers and also
contracts out for companion machines. They are distributed by Tacony
Corp. Many of the BL companion machines are wonderful machines and very
good. This is a newer model so I don't know who makes it.

The shop lady said this one is new, just came out last year.
Funnily enough, a google search for Tacony Corp. just now, reveals that
even Toyato makes a sewing machine. (And here I thought they just
put their sewing machines into automobile engine compartments!)

Newer machines are quieter because of a number of reasons. One of which
is the use of an electronic foot pedal. Which also means that when you
slow down the speed of the machine you don't lose power to the needle (On
the old mechanicals, when you slow down you may have to "help" the
machine by turning the balance wheel by hand to help the needle penetrate
heavy or thick layers of fabric.)

Boy am I familiar with that little problem everytime I go to sew something
heavy on my Singer!
I'll just looking right now. In fact, I hadn't even intended to try a
machine out, but the opportunity was right there and now I'm excited
about what's out there. Should I decide to buy, however, I'll be
doing a lot of research first. It's good to hear from people who
have used or know about something I might buy.
For me, the long term reliability is also something I research well.

About Bernina's... When I went to pick up my Singer Manual, the
salesman there mentioned some very negative things about Bernina's
long term reliability. Was he just a die hard Singer Company Man or did he
have a kernel of truth in there somewhere?

Terri

Thread for Baby Quilt Mika Quilting 17 February 21st 04 01:18 AM
Babylock Quilters Choice Professional Questions Kate T. Quilting 19 December 6th 03 05:57 PM
The Rewards of Gifting a Baby Quilt Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 4 September 21st 03 01:42 PM
help with a baby quilt Ann Adamson Quilting 4 August 21st 03 12:36 AM
Stampola Newsletter - July 7, 2003 Mindy at Stampola Rubberstamps 0 July 8th 03 05:35 AM