A new "let's finish it" group is born!

Old December 31st 03, 02:22 AM
AliceW

Diana, that's the reason I joined this group last year. They really keep
you on track and focused. But, I too have projects that I have started and
then dropped. Most of those were class projects that I didn't enjoy or were
put on the back burner. I find that I take classes mostly to have others to
quilt with and then to learn a new technique. I have gotten more careful
about getting into classes that have extended projects that I may not
finish. It's really ok to give them away or put them away for a while. Not
EVERYTHING needs to be finished just because it was started.

Come join us - we'll help you along!

Alice

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
How do you avoid the UFO trap?
Im trying to think of all the reasons any of my works has stalled to the
point where I put it on the shelf.
Ran out of steam, became frustrated with the project or ran out of
materials.
Didnt like the fabrics together.
The blocks went together badly.
Something else more fun came along.
How have you managed to keep on going when a lot of us have given up?
Diana

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker
" Ellison" wrote in message
Howdy!
You mean y'all don't just Finish your quilts because
Finished Is Good? Huh--go figure....

Ragmop/Sandy--I don't make UFOs ;-)

"AliceW" wrote in message
There was a very successful Yahoo group set up last year known as

FII2003
(Finish It In 2003). That group was so much fun we have set up

FSM2004
(Finish Some More in 2004). This group is open to all. The plan is

decide what you want to finish and/or start in 2004 and share that

with
the
group either in an email or as a file. Then each month we share our
accomplishments - or not - with the group. We post pictures of our
projects, support each other through crunch times and cheer the

finished
projects. I see that many folks are setting up goals for next year,

so
if
you have WIPs and PIGS that you plan on finishing next year, feel free

join. You can reach the group by going to
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FSM2004

If you need additional info on the group, feel free to email me at

alice
hypen wurpel at comcast dot net.

Alice

Old December 31st 03, 04:03 AM
Sharon Harper

Yep that's prolly what will end up happening but it will go with the
mid-year delivery. Want to do this next delivery early next week.

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html

"melinda" wrote in message
Sharon Harper wrote:
I've still got a just started quilt top (a mix of 4-patch and plain

squares)
in my "blocks" box. Hate the thing. It was supposed to be for DSIL's

baby
(who is now almost 2) but I hated it so I made him a different one which

he
adores. So do I. Unsure what I'll do with this one - just seems too

busy.
Maybe pull it apart and use the blocks in 2 different quilts with some
plains.

How about sending it off to Ronald McD House?

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol

Old December 31st 03, 11:28 AM
Roberta Zollner

It's sure easy to piece a few more than I care to quilt. Some of them are
not quite what I had in mind. But every quilt seems to develop an opinion of
its own to surprise me, so that's OK. When I need to clear the decks, I give
myself a deadline. The ones I don't like as well or simply don't have room
for go to my favorite charity auction. This auction occurs twice per year
online and once at the organization's annual conference, so 3 deadlines
right there!
Roberta in D

Old December 31st 03, 11:53 AM
Polly Esther

Now this is a chain of thoughts I am really enjoying. Thank you all. Diana
gives us a list of reasons not to finish and then Alice tells us "Not
EVERYTHING needs to be finished just because it was started." What a
guilt-freeing notion. I have reformed just a bit. I have added Jill Pochik's
website to my permanent memory. For those of you very young ones, permanent
memory is not on your computer. Things happen to that. Permanent Memory is
written by hand in a bound book (loose scrap of paper doesn't count).
Shorthand pad suffices nicely for many months. I wish I had sent Jill my
last Never going to be Finished project. The pups would have loved it. Jill
is Polly

Old December 31st 03, 12:18 PM
Queen of Squishies

heh,heh......and you are dating yourself also, my dear Quilt Lady.........
heh,heh.......

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old December 31st 03, 12:19 PM
Queen of Squishies

You're kidding, right? I got my hands full with this group right here.

ducking and runnin'
Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old December 31st 03, 12:43 PM
Queen of Squishies

My solutions (which result in NO ufo's) are -

Ran out of steam,

..............keep going anyway, just maybe not so many hours each day.

became frustrated with the project

..............remember why I started it in the first place. Every project I
start has a purpose. Calm down, relax, take the small steps toward
completion. The closer I get toward that completion, I find my frustration
diminishing.

or ran out of
materials.

..............time to go shopping. It will become a WIP until I get the rest
of the supplies I need. Usually within a week. Yes, I start another
project in the meantime. : )

Didnt like the fabrics together.

..............keep going anyway. Doesn't have to look just absolutely
gorgeous to me. It will probably look wonderful to someone else, and I'll
give it to someone else.

The blocks went together badly.

...............cheat in every possible way I can think of to make it come out
okay. When quilted, it will be fine. If it's so bad that it won't be fine
no matter what, I will take it apart and redo it, or cut it apart for some
future use.

Something else more fun came along.

...............line up all that other fun and get to it as soon as possible.

How have you managed to keep on going when a lot of us have given up?

...............never give up. Never. Never. Never. - Winston Churchill

Ragmop?

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old December 31st 03, 12:48 PM
Queen of Squishies

Having just finished reading the whole thread here, I want to add that I am
willing to adopt any of your orphan, abandoned, ufo's. I really have a
heart for the poor things. They just want a life! Ship them out to someone
who will bring that about.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old December 31st 03, 01:15 PM
I.E.Z.

"Queen of Squishies" hicall80 @ earthlink.net wrote in message
news

.............keep going anyway. Doesn't have to look just absolutely
gorgeous to me. It will probably look wonderful to someone else, and I'll
give it to someone else.

Yes!! I do a lot of quillows (I piece not only the pocket but the front of
the quillow - what fun otherwise?) Most of them are scrap patterns because
I like scrap patterns. However, last year I decided to do a "planned"
quillow with a definite color scheme that appealed to me - during the design
process. However, after I finished piecing it, I decided it was a big
mistake. Didn't like it at all. Oh, well, finished it anyway. Then last
month, a relative asked to buy some quillows. Guess which one she picked
out first???

Iris (compulsive about finishing)

Old December 31st 03, 01:35 PM
frood

You say that like it's a bad thing! Some things are tried out, you learn
something, you move on. New things are started, and the UFOs are put
someplace safe to marinate. When they're ready, you'll know!

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply