OT Gingerbread Technology

Old December 11th 03, 11:47 AM
NightMist

Default OT Gingerbread Technology

OK I am at least a gingerbread demi-goddess.

I have been making gingerbread houses and accessories for some time.
DD#1 has decided to give it a go for the first time this year.
Even though she has turned her nose up at my dearly beloved
gingerbread goths, I have agreed to assist her.

Thing is, DH and DD#2 have gotten together and asked us to put
together a gingerbread _castle_. The lady who is supposed to shop for
Christmas for the clients in the house that DD2 works in (both
physically and developmentally disabled) really blew it and they don't
have much cool stuff this year. Since there are nine clients and
family is expected to visit, the staff is more than a little nervous.
DD2 has been dubbed the best cook on staff (horrifying in and of
itself, this is macaroni and cheese soup girl we are talking about
here), and they are hopeing she can whip up a few goodies.
Enter the mad mad planning and scarey requests to mom.
DH is helping her out with fudge and some basic allowable candies,
I am planning to make extra cookies (make one gross or make two gross,
not a lot more work considering my normal holiday insanity)

OK.
Here is what I seek, any new and improved gingerbread technologies.
Even if we don't do a castle, we do want to do something spiffy and
sparkly. Something that says Magic when you look at it, and is big
enough for a couple of dozen people to get a bite.
I also have to make my own gingerbread chalet (though I may actually
downsize it this year) and DD1 is hopeing to accomplish a Hansel and
Gretal type cottage.

Just looking at the gingerbread list and compareing it to the calender
I am starting to hyperventilate here....

NightMist
Maybe I should ring up Mrs Claus?
--

My karma ran over my dogma
Old December 11th 03, 12:38 PM
georg

NightMist wrote:

Here is what I seek, any new and improved gingerbread technologies.
Even if we don't do a castle, we do want to do something spiffy and
sparkly. Something that says Magic when you look at it, and is big
enough for a couple of dozen people to get a bite.

Think about sugar glass for the upper stories, and spun sugar for a
"thatched" roof. You can use well-greased, chilled aluminum foil to mold
the squares and rectangles needed.

For spun glass, melt the sugar to hard candy stage. Put a couple of
chopsticks or something like on your counter well anchored, but sticking
out. Take a spoonful of sugar and quickly dribble back and forth over
the sticks and you should end up with a lot of strings. You can shape
these while they are still warm- I.e. imediately- to be a great roof, or
even grass around your castle.

The other option to think about is marzipan or fondant for lighter story
on top, or towers. You can do delicate openweave that way, or even
binding sugar glass strips into a lattice work with fondant or frosting.

The key is to think edible, and not necessary limit yourself to gingerbread.

-georg

Old December 11th 03, 01:36 PM
frood

Can't help, but I want to see the results!

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old December 11th 03, 01:45 PM
Diana Curtis

The heck with seeing the results, I want to EAT them. Isnt that the whole
reason for making them?
I have fond memorys of making a wiz bang of a gingerbread victorian house
with my late sister, Leah. She was a proffesional chef, and was put in
charge of piping all sorts of white frosting railings for the porches, and
other assorted filligree work. It was formed on wax paper, one piece over an
oatmeal box, and left to dry overnight. Then it was coated again on the
other side and again left to dry before attaching to the house. It was a
great time but the house was doomed to structural failures. It tasted good
tho. :-)
Diana

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker
. com...

Old December 11th 03, 02:21 PM
Patti

Hullo Nightmist
Now, I am *Not* the person whom any right-minded person would turn to if
in need of cooking help!! However, I do sometimes have good ideas - on
almost anything g
Here's what I thought of, when you mentioned your castle and chalet.
Knowing you do lots of practical things in your household, could you
make a castle and chalet from some clean, new card and cover it with
gingerbread - stuck to the card with a blob of cake icing? That way you
would only need to make enough for the outside!!
If you were to do a castle with round towers, it wouldn't be so awkward
to construct - like the 'fairy-tale' one in Neuchwanstein?
It's OK if you think this is mad!!
Good luck.
..
In article , NightMist
writes

[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old December 11th 03, 06:10 PM
frood

Did I tell you we are doing the outside of our house with a gingerbread
theme? What else can you do with a purple house? Well, the large, light-up
lollipops and one gingerbread tree arrived yesterday. There's a gingerbread
snowman, and something else still to come. DH got some corrugated plastic
from a local sign shop (we saw a shop on the DIY network about doing this)
to make the icing for the edges of the house. We will be busy little elves
this weekend, getting it all put together!

We haven't told any of the neighbors yet. I can't wait to hear their
reactions!

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
news
[...]

. com...

Old December 11th 03, 07:52 PM
Taria

I would imagine if the neighbors are ok with a purple house
anything else will be fine BG One of my desert neighbors
puts up a large peace sign in lights on his roof every year. The
way the house sits you can see it to the other end of the block.
Too cool.
Taria

"

Old December 11th 03, 08:25 PM
MB

I actually saw a gingerbread kit in Michael's craft store. I believe it
comes complete
with ready made cookies....DD made one with the gks last year...it wasn't
all that
great....but then again..kids were decorating it!.Maybe in the hands of your
dd it
would fare better?....

"NightMist" wrote in message

[...]

OT - Story: Technology vs. Racism Kathy N-V Beads 4 January 19th 05 03:01 PM
Hurricane Charley Fred Needlework 270 September 5th 04 07:24 PM
[Ganoksin] [Issue #103] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench Ganoksin Beads 0 July 14th 04 01:41 AM
[Ganoksin] [Issue #103] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench Ganoksin Jewelry 0 July 14th 04 01:41 AM
[Ganoksin] [Issue #103] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench Ganoksin General Crafting 0 July 13th 04 08:25 PM