Teaching 2nd Graders to Knit

Old September 11th 07, 01:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

Default Teaching 2nd Graders to Knit

"hesira" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi David,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I enjoyed hearing how you
became obsessed with crochet. Your experience was much like mine.

Everyone here was so helpful and had great suggestions for teaching
kids to knit, but the teacher has said she'd rather not invest so much
time and energy into this project.

Oh NO! After all your work :-(

She's new, and doesn't yet realize
how seriously the parents take this auction (LOL).

And probably working 'to the book'.

As Woolie
mentioned, the handcrafted items that show the contributions of the
kids are the most popular sellers. I'll wait for the kids to get a
year or two older, and for a more receptive teacher. In the meantime,
it's back to the drawing board.

I'm very sorry, you must be so disappointed ...

Ah well, you can try another time.

Hugs

Mary

Old September 11th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
David R. Sky

Hi Hesira,

The good thing out of this is that you'll have at least a year to think and
plan.

I think the kids would be enthusiastic particularly if they knew their
learning to knit (or crochet) would be contributing to something for their
school or community.

Cheers

David

--
David R. Sky
http://www.shellworld.net/~davidsky/

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, hesira wrote:

Hi David,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I enjoyed hearing how you
became obsessed with crochet. Your experience was much like mine.

Everyone here was so helpful and had great suggestions for teaching
kids to knit, but the teacher has said she'd rather not invest so much
time and energy into this project. She's new, and doesn't yet realize
how seriously the parents take this auction (LOL). As Woolie
mentioned, the handcrafted items that show the contributions of the
kids are the most popular sellers. I'll wait for the kids to get a
year or two older, and for a more receptive teacher. In the meantime,
it's back to the drawing board.

Hesira

On Sep 11, 2:07 am, "David R. Sky" wrote:

Hi hesira,

I don't know about teaching kids this age, but I do clearly remember
learning to crochet when I was ten.

I can still see the "9" on the crochet hook I used, I think for
worsted
weight yarn. (It successfully replaced the crochet thread needle my
mom had
accidentally bought first!)

I found it frustrating at times, particularly because I tended to
listen to
instructions then interpret them without someone there to correct my
actions
"in the moment".

I was very enthusiastic though, I crocheted my younger sister a
variegated
green & blue shrink for my first project, and a larger black one for
my mom
(her choice of color lol).

The following year at school I went "nuts" crocheting all yarn in
sight
*grin*

I loved the feeling of creating something physical out of something
very
simple (the yarn and one crochet hook), and I still feel this feeling
(when
I pay attention *grin*).

So "go for it" if you want to and have the interest and support you
need!
And have fun!

David

Old September 15th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"hesira" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Gem,

Thanks for the ideas. As I mentioned in my reply to David, the
knitting project for the class if off. But when I do teach a class of
kids, I'll bring along some crochet hooks as well, and offer to show
the class both techniques.

Hesira

Aww, after all the thought you put into what the kids could make. Obviously
that teacher isn't a yarn crafter or she would know the joy that comes from
making something... and the kids would really love that. Oh well, like you
said... perhaps another year and a more receptive teacher. ;o)

*hugs*
Gem