Passap Duomatic 80

Old March 30th 04, 11:43 AM
Julie Walker

Default Passap Duomatic 80

Hi everyone,

My name is Julie and I live in Lincolnshire, England. I used to be a
keen machine knitter about 20 years ago, using a Toyota 901 but since
then have been concentrating on hand knitting.

I have just discovered it is possible to buy a good second hand Duomatic
80 really very cheaply. This was the machine I always hankered after
back in my machine knitting days. The thing is, my memories of machine
knitting are now very hazy. I know the passap was very different from
the Japanese machines.

Could any Passap users out there give me the low-down on what to look
out for in my kit, like accessories I may need etc.

I would like to knit lace and fairisle, well everything really.

I hope someone can help and I look forward to your replies.

Julie

Old March 30th 04, 05:16 PM
Marcus

First thing to be aware of is that Passap no longer make machines, (stopped
a couple of years ago I think, so parts & accs. will be hard to find.

--
Regards
Marcus

Old March 30th 04, 06:22 PM
Julie

I wasn't aware of that. Do you know why they stopped making them?

Old April 2nd 04, 11:10 AM
Marion Pearcey

The message
from "Marcus" contains these words:

First thing to be aware of is that Passap no longer make machines, (stopped
a couple of years ago I think, so parts & accs. will be hard to find.

Brother no longer exists but I managed to get some spares through a firm
called Bingo Office Supplies Ltd. They seem to do a range of knitting
machine spares - worth knowing about.

--
Marion

Old April 3rd 04, 10:33 PM
Pogonip

Julie wrote:

I'm so out of touch, has machine knitting become a dieing hobby? My local
newsagents don't stock machine knitting magazines anymore. It used to be so
popular in the 1980's but I can't find any machine knitters now. Am I just
looking in the wrong places?

There are still machine knitters around, but the
commercial boom is over. The companies kept coming out
with better and more expensive machines until they
saturated their market without really expanding it.
Silver-Reed is still in business, IIRC, and the Chinese
are making a basic mechanical machine - the Artisan. In
the U.S. Machine Knitter's Source is still published and
even has on-line editions. http://www.mksource.com/
There are some email lists and this newsgroup, as well.

There is a big business on eBay, selling machines, parts,
patterns, and gorgeous yarn, too.
--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
http://bernardschopen.tripod.com/

Old April 4th 04, 01:02 PM
Marion Pearcey

The message
from Julie contains these words:

I'm so out of touch, has machine knitting become a dieing hobby? My local
newsagents don't stock machine knitting magazines anymore. It used to be so
popular in the 1980's but I can't find any machine knitters now. Am I just
looking in the wrong places?

I think any of us that still knit are older knitters, but it is a dying
art. There used to be three thriving machine knitting clubs in my area
(East Sussex) but they no longer exist. I still have loads of yarn to
knit up and if I need anything special I buy direct from Bramwell yarns,
no one locally sells it any more. Such a pity, but I could never
interest my daughters in machine knitting. And of course the youngsters
aren't intersted in anything other than sweatshirts now, at least from a
certain age. I still find that small children like the sweaters and
cardigans I make. I will keep plodding on.

--
Marion

Old October 7th 04, 06:20 PM
Jue

They have stopped making them because there is not the demand for them any
more and people are not updating their machines that are years old.

Jue