LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

Old June 14th 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

If she is a very regular customer than I think it would be ok to ask (by
phone or on a different shopping trip) that she is making this quilt and
needs help figuring the fabric needed and it would be nice if she could
have the numbers before going to Chicago to shop with the recipient.
This give the shop the chance to say "fine, come in when it's slow and
we'll help you" or "here's a great book that teaches you to do just
that" or "have you seen this nifty fabric calculator?" or "I'm sorry but
we are so busy it's hard for us to take the time to do that" in which
case she could get the shop in Chicago the opportunity to help do the
math. At any rate, she doesn't put the shop on the spot.

I don't think it was a suggestion warranting snippy arguments though. I
hope you don't have to visit with that relative often!

marcella

In article xqZjg.232666$5Z.140187@dukeread02,
Pat in Virginia wrote:

Judy: I would have figured the fabric
requirements myself. With the aid of a
calculator, and a graph sketch, it is
not difficult. There are some quilter's
math books available too. If I needed
extra help, I'd ask another quilter to
double check my math. I would not take
up the shop employee's time. JMHO. But I
certainly do NOT think you were
deserving of a tongue lashing for your
suggestion! I do look forward to seeing
the quilt; it sounds lovely.
PAT in VA/USA

Old June 14th 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Howdy!

Welllllll, I think your MIL handled it well.
What I would do: "While I'm here buying fabric, let me ask you about
a quilt I'm planning..." and make a purchase at that store
from my local quilt shop friends.

As for your SIL, she's her own problem; you don't have to
live with her. g

Ragmop/Sandy

On 6/14/06 1:26 PM, in article
, "judy in fort worth"
wrote:

This topic brings me to a disagreement that I had with my SIL over
Christmas. MIL was getting ready to make a quilt for DGD's hs graduation.
DGD has picked out a pattern that was not large enough for a
throw----pattern was a wall hanging. MIL and I decided that the design
would work if we put it on point and added log cabin blocks on the top and
bottom of the quilt. (We did it and it came out to be a stunning quilt---I
will post a photo later.). MIL wondered how much fabric to purchase. Now
she is a loyal customer at the LQS and drops a significant amount of cash
there annually. I suggested that she take our plan in and ask for help.
She was reluctant to do that because she wanted DGD to pick out the fabric
and since they live in Chicago, that shopping trip would probably take place
there. I opined that since she was a frequent shopper at the store in town,
I was sure that they would help her with the fabric requirements even if she
was buying the fabric elsewhere (again, purchasing fabric anywhere else is
unusual for her.) My SIL jumped on me with both feet and said that it would
be totally inappropriate to ask for their help when she planned to purchase
the fabric elsewhere. I disagree because MIL is such a good customer of the
LQS. (OT info: My SIL and I rarely see eye-to-eye and she was itching for
a fight that night---this was only one of the many little "outbursts" that
she had before she went up to bed. And she made sure that they left for
home the next morning before we were up---we see them maybe once a year.
She did not speak to either of my sons during the visit but that is not
unusual. Thirty-one years and counting and we still cannot get along but
this was worse than usual.)
So, in your esteemed opinions, was I wrong to make this suggestion? BYT,
she did not follow my suggestion and had the Chicago shop do her figuring.
Just wondering---do not want to start a flame war here.

judy in fort worth

Old June 14th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Now cell/mobile phones LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

Howdy!

My Avon lady (good friend) told me about this, Monday,
a ring tone that we "older" folks aren't supposed to be able to hear.
http://tinyurl.com/juf9l

I can hear it. Some dept. stores still have electronic equipment
running that I can hear buzzing/whining above my head. Ooooerrrrgh!

Meanwhile, I appreciate having my mobile phone available,
for *my* use. Not in a check-out line, not in a meeting, not at
the table in a restaurant, not while I'm driving.
I mean, if I drove and phoned, how could I, with a clear conscience,
yell at other drivers? : "Hang up and drive! It's an automobile,
not a phone booth on wheels!" G

It was a joy to have that phone with me in Paducah last year;
called dear husband back at work in Dallas, exclaiming over the
charm & beauty of that old downtown area. He shared my excitement
and looks forward to going to Paducah with me later this year.

Ragmop/Sandy --my Avon lady & I are thinking of inventing a "detector"
that will sniff out those whining cell phone tones g

On 6/14/06 2:22 PM, in article
, "desert quilter"
wrote:

Seems about half the complaints center around cell phones. And then
people wonder why various school districts have banned cell phones in
schools. Adults can't even control themselves with the pesky things.
How well do you think a teenager is going to do?

Michelle in NV

Old June 14th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Howdy!

I like kids.
On toast. g

Do they scream? Do they yell and interrupt other people?
Do other people wince when the kids yell? Do the kids
race thru' the store, getting under foot, pulling things
from the shelves, pull books off the racks, try to eat the notions?

If the kids are under the supervision ("control" as much as possible g)
of their full-grown minder, why not take them into the shop?
Most quilt shops, sewing supply stores, tho', don't have much to entertain
kids (a few do), so I wouldn't take mine in where they weren't catered to.
I was pretty strict about where mine went when they were young,
NOT to craft shows (after the first such trip proved the boy wouldn't
stay in the stroller g), not to quilt shops when *I* wanted to
pay attention to shopping. And when we had just one car, or had
decided to combine shopping trips, I'd have my partner drop me off
so I could shop and look while he had the boys; then we'd switch.
I just didn't want my kids to bug other people; didn't want friends to say
"Oh, look, here's comes Sandy--- OH NO!! she brought her kids!!" G
Of course, now I'm likely to take your kids in hand, sit down to play
with them, offer them my solar calculator, some Silly Putty,
maybe a walk around outside. 'Cause they're not my kids & I can give
them back. g

Cheers!
Ragmop/Sandy

On 6/14/06 4:51 PM, in article
t, "Irrational Number"
wrote:

joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska wrote:

*Bringing unruly children into the store and letting them roam, crawl,
yell, etc.

If I may interject... is it so bad to bring
unruly children into a store? I mean, does
the fact that children roam, crawl, and yell
make them unruly? I do not mean to be
facetious (or maybe I am just being defensive),
but we often go to our LQS as a whole family.
DH sits on the floor and tries to keep the two
kids under control. But, kids crawl and roam.
Sometimes they yell. We do not permit them to
touch the fabric, walls, displays, anything.

If we could not bring children in, then I'm
relegated to only ordering fabric online. Or
DH has to stay outside with the kids, and that's
not always the best place to be.

Obviously, there ought to be some standard for
basic politeness, such as regarding cell phones,
making outrageous return demands, etc. However,
isn't there any room so that children, while
being children, would still be allowed to go
into a little store without raising eyebrows?

-- Anita --

Old June 15th 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Students - was LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

"C&S" wrote in message
:
: Oh... and let me add my pet peve to the list:
:
: *a first time quilter comes in with an intricate lap size
quilt pattern and
: wants you to figure out how much fabric she will need to
make it a queen size. Of course she's not looking to buy
the fabric yet.
:

LOL

I have a newbie student who does that to me all the time.
Starts one quilt and when it is set up to be continued at
home she then turns up with no warning and announces "I have
this idea for a new quilt". I have learned to dread those
words. She did it again last night. I had drawn her a
football mascot (a tiger) in EQ5 for an applique panel, but
she really liked the Flying Goose block method I taught them
last week so she wanted them as a border on point ("those
square things but they're not square" was the description)
and not more than about 40" wide total. Then she said she
wanted the border blocks no smaller than the sample ones I
had them make. When I pointed out that this would mean her
centre panel would only be about 4" wide she just looked at
me and said "well what will I do?"

Within half an hour the quilt went from a wall hanging
(original plan) to a knee rug, to a single bed quilt, to a
double quilt, and back to a large knee size. I kept getting
comments like "I don't like it square" - to which I would
reply that if you start with a square in the centre and
insist on having the same borders all the way around, then
the finished quilt is more or less gonna be square. She
eventually agreed, although somewhat reluctantly as if she
thought I wasn't telling her the truth LOL Thank Heaven
for EQ5!!

She is so keen I can't bring myself to tell her to go away,
and her work is lovely when finished. But we are now
venturing into techniques of piecing where accurate seams
are critical (triangles, etc). Up to now she has just raced
through a lot and been very much "near enough is good
enough", and I have had to come up with solutions when
things didn't meet up exactly. But last night I warned her
that this was no longer possible and she had to be more
careful. On she sailed! I asked from the other side of the
table "can you see the line of stitches" and she replied
no - and kept on sewing. She had - of course run out of
thread! I let her go for another three blocks before I
pulled her up, and she just laughed about it.

She is just such a contrast to the others who come on
Wednesday night - both slow and meticulous. I have very
detailed notes for all my classes and M refuses to even take
them home with her. ((sigh)) But she has managed to
produce a few absolutely beautiful quilts in an amazingly
short time. I am just not sure I can take the stress much
longer LOL

Oh - how I dread those "students" who love to learn but hate
to be instructed!!!

--

Cheryl & the Cats
_ _ _ _ _ _

Old June 15th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Oh that's just toooo evil ROFL Well done!!

--

Cheryl & the Cats
_ _ _ _ _ _
Enness Boofhead Donut
Now in hibernation with a wake-up call for Spring!
catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

"Marcella Peek" wrote in message
: In article ,
: "Cats" wrote:
:
: Some of these made me grin - and some made me groan.
All
: rang a bell!!
:
: They have been fun to read!
:
:
: Customer in front of me in clothing store a few years
ago: "
: I don't know which one to choose. I'll pay you now (for
one
: only!) and bring back the colours she (daughter at home)
: doesn't like tomorrow."
:
: Oh my gosh! The things people think up. When I worked
retail years ago
: in a dress department people did do amazing things. I
don't know if
: they don't get how dishonest they are or if they just
didn't care.
:
:
: I detest cell phones. The last time I chaired a meeting
and
: a cell phone went off I held up my hand for silence and
: looked straight at the talker to let him know we would
all
: listen in to his conversation. He didn't take the hint,
and
: the phone rang again. Fortunately I outranked him so I
just
: told him that he was clearly indispensable and that he
: should go back to his workplace. AND HE GOT OFFENDED
(for
: all the good that did him - LOL).
:
: Hilarious! Last guild meeting the phones rang and rang.
Drove me nuts.
: I think they need to bring back the announcements to turn
them off or at
: least on vibrate but perhaps those went away because
someone got
: offended.
:
: The other day we had a little family wedding shower for my
niece (she
: and her finance just hit the courthouse with their parents
so we didn't
: get a chance to do anything beforehand) The phone rang,
her mom handed
: it to her and she chatted while we were all waiting for
her to finish
: unwrapping a gift. sigh. Finally off the phone, opened
said gift.
: Phone rang again and a conversation of at least 5 minutes
went on while
: we sat waiting. She put the phone down next to me. I
very quietly slid
: it off the table, into my lap and removed the battery.
:-) No more
: interruptions. Battery went back after dessert. Yes, I
can be an evil
: aunt but sheesh.
:
: marcella

Old June 15th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"Sandy Ellison" wrote
:
: Coming to class with a machine she's never used, not
even sure how to
: turn it on--"I didn't take the new owner's class at the
shop when I bought
: this thing; why bother?" ...uh, because we don't have
time or energy or
: knowledge to teach you about it right now, lady! g
:

Or coming without the manual for their new machine and
expecting you to know how to set everything just right!!
And assuming that you have the time and interest to do this
for them during a class.

Actually had someone turn up with a machine in a case that
was thick with dust and COBWEBS! The machine had been in
the garage for nearly ten years! She hadn't even opened the
case before coming to her first class.

Have had more than one turn up without the pedal foot for
their machine and look surprised when they are told "no, you
can't just borrow any ole pedal - you need yours". My first
class for newbies is "Tools and Terminology" and covers all
the tools they will use in quilting, terms they will see in
quilt books, and basic sewing machine use. They do no
sewing in that lesson but they have to bring their machines
so I can see what they will be working with. I have seen
15yo machines that still have the original needle! Some
have sent their machines off for service and been unhappy
when they still don't sew correctly, only to find they have
been putting their bobbins in upside down LOL

I now keep magnifying glasses in four strengths for those
who forget their glasses, 'cos I am sick of watching the
awful results when they persist and can't see properly.

--

Cheryl & the Cats
_ _ _ _ _ _

Old June 15th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

LOL - I don't have one either, and when I say that I am
regarded as some kind of monster with two heads. Most of my
friends don't know the number of their own mobiles
ROFLMAO they just ask me!

--

Cheryl & the Cats
_ _ _ _ _ _
Enness Boofhead Donut
Now in hibernation with a wake-up call for Spring!
catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

"Patti" wrote in message
:I have one (for emergencies in the car), but it is never
on - and I
: don't know its number g
: .
: In message ,
Jessamy
: writes
: I *still* don't have a mobile hehehe
:
:
: --
: Best Regards
: pat on the hill

Old June 15th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

My mother was not a quilter, but was a sewer. I can
remember being taken into innumerable fabric stores, and
knowing from a very early age that I was to wait quietly for
my mother to complete her shopping - no touching, no
running, no yelling. My younger sister and I always
accompanied her when she shopped. I don't think it hurt
either of us to learn the appropriate standard of behaviour
for public places at a very early age. And the shop keepers
were NEVER expected to provide entertainment or supervision
for us.

We loved going around with her, and while good behaviour was
expected we usually got an icecream or similar for being
good.

I sometimes have sewers come here with grandchildren in tow.
Once in a while this is unavoidable (family drama, etc) but
I politely discourage this as a regular thing because this
is not an area set up for children and I cannot be
responsible for their safety around sharp and pointy things.
The OH&S/liability issues for adults are bad enough.
Everything in life should not be geared around the possible
effects of an uncontrolled toddler/child.

Sorry if this makes me a grouch but I don't feel that shops
should have to provide a child entertainment area in order
to stay in business, and I don't enjoy having to fight the
HUGE strollers in use today in narrow aisles when I am
shopping. I have enough mobility issues of my own.

Off my soap box and off to have a morning cuppa with Oscar
the Grouch LOL

--

Cheryl & the Cats
_ _ _ _ _ _
Enness Boofhead Donut
Now in hibernation with a wake-up call for Spring!
catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

nk.net...

Old June 15th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 20:17:42 +0200, "Roberta Zollner"
wrote:

Here's a positive retail story: At the quilt show last week, about 2 minutes
before I was supposed to meet my traveling companions/enabling quilt buddies
at the car (we were on a bit of a schedule with a long drive home), I
spotted some great fabric on a vendor's table. Picked up a piece and spotted
some more! Oh agony -not much cash in the wallet, and she didn't take cards.
No online shopping, no bricks-and-mortar store either. Her entire business
is at shows. But no problem, she said, I could take all the fabric I wanted
and just transfer the money to her bank account! She said she'd never been
disappointed trusting her customers. Since I was in a rush, I just took the
piece I could afford. Would have been way too tempting to grab a whole
tableful on credit!
Roberta in D

This happened to me when I went to the quilt exhibition in Perth a
few years ago. I walked all around the Bell Sports Centre, hunting
for the mythical cash machine, but never found it. I only had about
20 minutes to get to the train station, and I don't know Perth that
well. The vendors - I wanted to buy a book that I had had a hard time
finding and 2 yards of fabric - had the fabric and book bundled up
with their business card when I came back. They said, "Send us a
cheque when you get home". I did, along with a bar of chocolate!

-- Jo in Scotland

big foot + little foot Wren Quilting 11 March 5th 06 07:06 PM
Big foot Debra Quilting 6 July 30th 05 01:32 AM
Boot Shoe Pattern Cutting & Clicking 1906 FA Sally General Crafting 0 September 12th 04 12:23 AM
A walk(ing foot) in the park KittyG Quilting 18 October 21st 03 06:35 PM