How Long Does It Take?

Old January 3rd 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
gw

Default How Long Does It Take?

you could get done a lot faster by
1) letting your family unit know they need to help with their own
laundry
(they can learn how to take care of those wonderful socks you are
supposed
to be making)
2) they can do the cooking and cleaning up after (gives you actual
time to knit)

These two steps always work; either you will get the help to free up
your time, or they will cut back on requests for knitted garments,
their call. :-)

gw
Old January 5th 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article Y51fj.67056$vd4.18731@pd7urf1no,
Maureen Miller wrote:
You know, I decided when I got this alpaca for Christmas that I'd make
a pair of socks out of it because it's so soft and warm. I'm a slow
knitter to start with, partly because I'm new to this and holding four
needles feels awkward, and partly because I want to sit back and enjoy
the knitting and the relaxation that goes with it. I'm actually
honoured that the family wants me to make all these things for them and
I'm looking forward to the hugs when I get each project knitted. )

That's wonderful.

I only wondered how long it would take an 'average' knitter who knows
what they're doing

Does not compute - "average knitter" + "knows what they're doing"? ;-)
Even the experts can be totally confused... but it's all good knitting
time, right?

because I know I'm still slow at it, and don't want to
promise things like leg warmers and sweaters until next Christmas
because it would be silly to present these things in the summer heat.

Don't ever promise a deadline. Just knit, and when it's done, it's done.
And what's wrong with presenting a gift when it's done? After all,
people get gift certificates that don't have to be used right away.

lol I don't mind if it takes me 6 months for one pair of socks as long
as I'm enjoying it and the things I give as gifts are 'season
appropriate'. ) It's sure good to be able to come here for advice
though!

This is definitely the place for advice.

=Tamar
Old January 5th 08, 05:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

Maureen Miller wrote:

[...]

This School has a 24 hours a day , 7 days a week OPEN CLASSES ,,
mirjam
Old January 5th 08, 05:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

Old January 5th 08, 01:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Leah

Maureen Miller wrote:

You know, I decided when I got this alpaca for Christmas that I'd make
a pair of socks out of it because it's so soft and warm. I'm a slow
knitter to start with, partly because I'm new to this and holding four
needles feels awkward, and partly because I want to sit back and enjoy
the knitting and the relaxation that goes with it. I'm actually
honoured that the family wants me to make all these things for them and
I'm looking forward to the hugs when I get each project knitted. )

I understand alpaca has a tendency to pill up and felt when worn as
socks. I'd worry about how long those socks will last. You might
want a reinforcing strand of nylon for the foot. I use Wolly nylon in
my heels and toes, but it could be run through all foot sts if needed.

I only wondered how long it would take an 'average' knitter who knows
what they're doing
because I know I'm still slow at it, and don't want to
promise things like leg warmers and sweaters until next Christmas
because it would be silly to present these things in the summer heat.

Well, there's no single answer to that. Everyone works at different
speeds, and you need to take into account unexpected things, like a
sudden lack of time to knit, or perhaps you've got a bad skein of yarn
that has a lot of knots, which means you have to rip out rows so you
don't have knots sticking out of the middle, etc. There's also the
possibility that you misread the pattern, or more often for me, the
pattern has errors in it that you have to rip out and correct.

lol I don't mind if it takes me 6 months for one pair of socks as long
as I'm enjoying it and the things I give as gifts are 'season
appropriate'. ) It's sure good to be able to come here for advice
though!

Even if a project doesn't turn out for me, bad fit and the like, I
learn something from making it, and if the fit is really bad, I can
always give it to someone it does fit, or donate it to a charity so
they can find someone it will fit.

Leah
Old January 5th 08, 05:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Maureen Miller

Naaaaa. DH has NEVER said no to any wool, needles, silk threads (I also
do petit point) or anything else I ask for, and he's very supportive of
my hobbies. I had back problems once and couldn't sit in a soft chair
so I described a floor stand I wish I had that would accomodate our hard
chairs. That night he built a floor stand for me complete with rotating
scroll frame and shepherd casters for feet so I can roll it to or away
from me and stitch at any height. And when I think of how many teens
are wandering the streets on drugs every night while mine are here busy
with their own hobbies, I thank God for it. So I think a few knitted
items for them to wear isn't asking too much for this kind of pampering
and peace of mind. ) Lordy, I sound like an episode of The Waltons! lolol

Maureen In Vancouver, B.C.

Old January 6th 08, 10:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Jan 2, 11:47*am, Maureen Miller
wrote:
Hello everyone,

This is a great group, and many names are familiar as I'm a crossover
visitor from R.C.T.N. *I have only recently taught myself the basic
rudiments of knitting because I want warm socks that don't slide down
the leg, and have real toes & heels. *This doesn't seem to be an option
for any store to supply, so here I sit, tangled in my wonderful alpaca
with my bamboo dpns.

Since I'm actually making visable headway on my first sock (working on
the heel flap), DH has announced he'd like a few pairs of socks, DDs
want 1 sweater, 1 hoodie, 1 pair fingerless gloves, and two leg warmers.
* DGM would like a toque, scarf & mitten set, and I wouldn't mind making
a few pair of socks for myself! *Now, given that I only have a couple of
hours in the evenings to knit, and also given that this one sock has
taken me exactly one week to get this far, is there an 'average'
ballpark time it takes to knit these things? *Am I looking at Christmas
presents for next year? lol

And will your DH and DDs take over the housework while you knit?

Higs,
Katherine (Who adores hand-knit socks and makes them herself!)
Old January 7th 08, 03:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

gw wrote:
you could get done a lot faster by
1) letting your family unit know they need to help with their own
laundry
* (they can learn how to take care of those wonderful socks you are
supposed
* to be making)
2) they can do the cooking and cleaning up after (gives you actual
time to knit)

These two steps always work; either you will get the help to free up
your time, or they will cut back on requests for knitted garments,
their call. :-)

gw- Hide quoted text -

I am very glad to read that your husband supports your hobbies, and
that your kids are busy doing their hobbies ,,, But toy tell us you
are quite new at kn itting, and take a long time over one sock ,,,,
thus if you want to reward /gift all with some knitted item , why not
starte with some easier things that will also give you some
experience. [ shawls hats mittens] .
I am knitting more than 60 years and i still wouldn`t promose somebody
"to finnish X items for several other people in a year`s time.... Even
though my works go with me and i add to them in oddest places ,,,, I
am a slow knitter, I am not in a Marathon i do what i can do ,,,
mirjam
Old January 7th 08, 01:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Leah

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 14:00:18 -0800 (PST), Katherine
wrote:

And will your DH and DDs take over the housework while you knit?

Katherine

What, they don't do their share NOW? I swear women's lib made things
worse for so many women, not only are they expected to work full time
now, they are still expected to do all the work at home! Sheesh, I
made it perfectly clear that I'm not the only one living here, and
anyone else had better do their own share. I refuse to cook if they
don't do dishes, because d*mned if I'm going to "wash them just this
one time". It's different if someone is sick (because I don't cook
when I'm sick), but otherwise, uh uh. Get off your lazy a** because
there is no such thing as a free ride!

Leah
Old January 7th 08, 04:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Maureen Miller

Sheesh, I've missed a number of posts here. I'll have to back up to
catch them all! ) Actually, if it's inside, I do it. But I don't
have a paying job so the thankless one will have to do. lol I asked DD
to wash the dishes one day and she said "Dad said I don't have to 'cause
that's YOUR job". After I got through with him him, well all I can say
is that the kitchen door has just never hung quite the same way. (vbg)
And now if I ask for help, I GET IT!!!

Maureen In Vancouver, B.C.