Chocolate question

Old April 16th 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Chocolate question

My Hunky Mr. Collins and I have a running, good-natured, debate. He
says chocolate is chocolate is chocolate. I maintain a chocolate bar
is much "worse" than chocolate flavored- like chocolate flabvored
Tootsie Roll Pops or a cup of instant hot chocolate drink. Is cocoa
and chocolate hard candy better for you- speaking strictly health-wise?
Are there degrees of chocolate???

Leslie & The Chocolate Deprived Furbabies in MO.

Old April 16th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I let my mouth decide what is best. I much prefer a good dark chocolate
than a tootsie roll anyday!

--
Bonnie
NJ
oups.com...

Old April 16th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. wrote:

My Hunky Mr. Collins and I have a running, good-natured, debate. He
says chocolate is chocolate is chocolate. I maintain a chocolate bar
is much "worse" than chocolate flavored- like chocolate flabvored
Tootsie Roll Pops or a cup of instant hot chocolate drink. Is cocoa
and chocolate hard candy better for you- speaking strictly health-wise?
Are there degrees of chocolate???

Leslie & The Chocolate Deprived Furbabies in MO.

There certainly ARE degrees of chocolate! And some of the world's
best is made in the USA. I say this as an expert in Belgian and Swiss
chocolate as well as English chocolate. You really need to look out for
chocolate with a high cocoa solids content. Scharffen Berger is the
one to look out for. It goes from 62% semi-sweet pure dark chocolate,
through their bittersweet 70%, and up to 99% unsweetened! This last is
a bit strong for nibbling, but their 82% 'extra dark' is lovely, and i
doooooo like the 62% mocha, which has fresh ground coffee in it!

Anything by Lint and Suchard is worth eating! They both make
excellent milk chocolate: not as sweet as Cadbury's, and I prefer it.
Suchards also make a 'half and' half, type: a not so milky milk
chocolate, which is excellent.

For drinking chocolate, look out for either Cadbury's Drinking
Chocolate, which is ready sweetened and you just stir it into hot milk,
or Cadbury's Bourneville cocoa, which needs to be sweetened to taste.
Charbonnel et Walker's Chocolat Charbonnel is utterly delish, but at a
heavy price! Suchards also make some damned fine drinking chocolate,
but I can't find a web site for them!

Proper chocolate (as detailed above) is much better for you than
something with a vague flavour of chocolate and the rest being sugar or
a mixture of sugar, other fats and emulsifiers. A little REAL chocolate
goes a long way. I had just a nibble of my S-B 82% when I got back from
swimming, and that will do fine as my chocolate fix for today.

http://www.charbonnel.co.uk
http://www.scharffenberger.com
http://www.cadbury.co.uk/EN/CTB2003/

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old April 16th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Sorry Leslie, put down the chocolate and find an apple. I have been
buying dates and they are sort of like a treat when I 'need' one.

Tootsie rolls and hard candy are tough for your teeth.

Taria, fat nazi, put down the chocolate and nobody gets hurt...

(all that said, I prefer small chocolate bars in my hide away stash,
I am sure they have to be better than the others)

Old April 16th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Dark chocolate (generally 67% or higher) has more anti-oxidants than milk
chocolate. Confections other than pure chocolate contain other ingredients
that may not only negate the antioxidant effect, but be even worse for you -
eg trans fats, refined sugars, corn syrup.

There is a certain benefit to the soothing, calming effects of candy, if
that is how it affects you. But a cup of tea or some quiet music may do the
same, without the harsh sugars and chemicals present in most commercial
candies.

--
Wendy
un-STUFF email address to reply

Old April 16th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Chocolate question, now teas

True, but they're not as much fun, LOL I do try the tea thing before
chocolate, only because the kids wll see it and want some...Peppermint or
jasmine teas are my fav, although I do have some chinese teas that are good-
ginger peach is one and I found out I like oolong too.
Toni
.. .

Old April 16th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

That is the salvation for chocolate lovers. Get the best chococlate you can
(high cocoa, low sugar) and you will only need a little bit to satisfy your
tastebuds. If you don't believe me, try it. If you need to try it again, and
again until you are sure you are satisfied.

--
Boca Jan
Southern Florida - land of the hurricanes

Old April 16th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Pure curiosity.nothing else implies. What do you get your kidlets when you
buy them candy (does NOT have to be chocolate-just curios)? Do they have any
favs? (Mine USE to be M&M's and almost any milk chocolate with almonds .
Never cared for dark chocolate.)

Butterfly (EB brought me a pkg of Twizzlers black licorice,and DH a carrot
made of Lindt chocolate with Hazelnuts, and DS KitKats AND a box of Mrs.
Fields Decadent Chocolates. I didn't know she was into making
candy---thought she was just cookies )

.. .

Old April 16th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Butterfly wrote:
Pure curiosity.nothing else implies. What do you get your kidlets when you
buy them candy (does NOT have to be chocolate-just curios)?

I buy them sardines, catnip, and Chinese fortune cookies.

The dog really loves Chinese fortune cookies. The others are for the cats.

-georg
Old April 16th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Butterfly wrote:

Pure curiosity.nothing else implies. What do you get your kidlets when you
buy them candy (does NOT have to be chocolate-just curios)? Do they have any
favs? (Mine USE to be M&M's and almost any milk chocolate with almonds .
Never cared for dark chocolate.)

James has always loved Green & Blacks dark chocolate, and Ritter sport
dark with marzipan. But he'll forgo both for a nice bit of goat cheese!

Any other sweets/candy come a looooooong way second. He's a lad that
truly takes after his mother in this respect!