Who is the ceramic artist "Orr"?

Old May 23rd 05, 07:39 PM
bmorisky

Default Who is the ceramic artist "Orr"?

Does anyone know of the ceramic artist from the turn of the century or
late 1800's with the wild beard. I htought that his name is George Orr.
Any help would be great.

Old May 23rd 05, 07:54 PM

hit the search button! george orr, the mad biloxi potter or something
like that(spelling?).

he made pieces that explored the collapsing stages - he's be on the
edge of loosing a pot yet keep it going without a mess.

see ya

steve

Old May 23rd 05, 08:28 PM
J and K

The spelling is Ohr. He was George Ohr "The mad potter of Biloxi". There
was a great article about him in Smithsonian magazine about a year ago.
john
oups.com...

Old May 23rd 05, 09:45 PM
Xtra News

Here is a site about him. Very easy to find
http://www.smithsonianmag.si.edu/smi...feb04/ohr.html
I had never heard of him before (oh well) His collapsing thing is
interesting though and there is one pictured on this site. I went to a
demonstration by Takeshi Yasuda a Japanese man who now lives in England and
he demonstrated how he actually takes his work past collapse, that is keeps
lifting until it collapses and then takes the batt off the wheel head, turns
it upside down and give a wee shake so that the pot goes back, but off
course quite different and then hangs it upside down to set up.
Its really fun to try.
Annemarie

oups.com...