Chicago stitching group?

Old May 6th 05, 10:12 PM

Default Chicago stitching group?

I was wondering if there are any local cross stitching groups that I
can join. I'm in Downers Grove, IL, a SW suburb of Chicago. Or
perhaps somebody would like to start one up with me? I've been
stitching for (OMG) 35 years, and believe it or not, *none* of my
friends stitch.

I will check here for responses. Thanks.

Audrey

Old May 7th 05, 04:22 AM
Maureen In Vancouver, B.C.

Audrey, you have a GREAT idea. Mind if I jump on your band wagon and
ask the same of the Surrey - Abbotsford B.C. Canada stitchers? I've
often wondered if there were only one or two of us in my neighbourhood,
but this is the best way to find out!! You're brilliant! But I'm going
to change the wording slightly, because I'd be interested in meeting for
cross stitch, petit point, needlepoint, tatting, bobbin lace, knitting,
hardanger, Japanese embroidery, crochet....who did I leave out? Please
add yourself to my list because I'd love to be in a group where we can
all learn all types of needlework from each other! I too will watch
here for response, or you can e-mail me at

Maureen In Langley, B.C.

Old May 7th 05, 03:36 PM
Jenn Liace

On Sat, 7 May 2005 08:43:34 -0400, anne wrote:

I was wondering if there are any local cross stitching groups that I
can join. I'm in Downers Grove, IL, a SW suburb of Chicago. Or
perhaps somebody would like to start one up with me? I've been
stitching for (OMG) 35 years, and believe it or not, *none* of my
friends stitch.

There might be an EGA chapter close to you. This link,
http://egausa.org/directory/regionh.htm, might help.

Thanks for the link, Anne, but no such luck. They're all
significantly downstate from us or in other states. Nothing in the
Chicago metro area. I did, however, join as a guest member of the
Cyberstitchers group so I can see what that's like.

Jenn L.
--
www.needleful-things.com - NEW!
http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace

Current projects:
Nordic Needle Rose (Silver Lining)
Starry Night (Vincent van Gogh via Cross Stitch Collectibles)
Lady of the Flag (Mirabilia)
Home of the Brave (Sally Rung)
Old May 8th 05, 11:40 AM
Mellissa Allison

Maureen,

I'm out in Chilliwack, but I'd love to meet up for some stitching time!
I'm currently working on MLI's Fairy Grandmother, Dimension's Rooftop Santa
stocking, Burton's 'The Meeting on the Turret Stairs' (petit point), a
medieval Norse zoomorphic sea serpent in surface embroidery and a Tudor
court gown forepart in beads. If you think of a place to meet (Food court
at Willowbrook?), let me know.

Mellissa
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide

Old May 9th 05, 05:59 PM
Maureen In Vancouver, B.C.

I LOVE Chilliwack! My cousins live there too. That would have been my
preference for places to live, but would have meant DH driving for 3
hours both ways to get to work and home. And he wouldn't do it! Have
you ever heard of anything se selfish? LOL We often spend Sundays out
in Abbotsford visiting the in-laws, so maybe Seven Oaks or thereabouts?
That would be closer for you to come anyway. You do so many types of
stitching! I really need to broaden my horizons!

Maureen

Old May 10th 05, 06:41 PM
Marjorie

Hi, Audrey: There is an embroidery group that meets in Hinsdale during the
day. I'm not sure the day or exact information but I know a number of people
in this group and could find out if you're interested and daytime is
possible. It is, however, not a cross stitch group or even, from what I
know, significantly cross stitch oriented as many EGA chapters are. OTOH,
it's a lively and fun group that does really interesting things.

Were you looking in the correct EGA region? You should be looking in the
Great Lakes Region (not Heartland, which is downstate Illinois). There are
area ega chapters. The Fox Valley chapter meets in St. Charles, I believe,
but draws people from your area (Flying Colors, Tomorrow's Heirlooms are
local shops that feed into this guild---my mom was a member). They also meet
in the daytime. There's an EGA chapter that meets out of Argonne Labs in
Darien (evenings), one in Oak Park (day and evening, I believe), and one in
Hanover Park (I'm not sure where that is).

Check your park district and library---often they sponsor local stitching
groups. Good luck, Marjorie

oups.com...

Old May 10th 05, 07:46 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

There's also a group in the Niles area . . . a SAGA guild, I believe.
Of course, this isn't cross stitch. But they do a lot more than
smocking. :-) So check at http://www.smocking.org. I taught a Schwalm
class to some of its members, who came up to Brookfield (near Milwaukee)
to join forces with an EGA & SAGA chapter there and an EGA group from
Madison, WI. I look forward to teaching at the Madison chapter next
year if we can get it all together.

Both EGA and SAGA are losing membership, so a lot of embroiderer's are
making huge efforts to expand their focus and joining forces with other
guilds/groups in order to keep interest alive and kicking. So, touching
base with any guild will probably help you get together with like-minded
stitchers from other groups. Even an ANG chapter might be what you'd
like to join, if for nothing else the camaraderie if you don't
needlepoint. ANG is also doing an awful lot more than you might think.

A nearby knitting shop also has classes in embroidery. So, you never
know what you might find if you just take a peek in some unlikely places.

Dianne

Marjorie wrote:
[...]

wrote in message
oups.com...

I was wondering if there are any local cross stitching groups that I
can join. I'm in Downers Grove, IL, a SW suburb of Chicago. Or
perhaps somebody would like to start one up with me? I've been
stitching for (OMG) 35 years, and believe it or not, *none* of my
friends stitch.

I will check here for responses. Thanks.

Audrey

--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com

Old May 11th 05, 12:30 AM

Wow, thanks for all this info, Marjorie. Hinsdale is real close to me,
do you think they'd take a ccs'er? Would you be so kind to get
additional info to me on this one?

Yes, I looked under Great Lakes Region on the EGA site. St. Charles is
far from where I live, the one at Argonne Labs in Darien is perfect,
but their link on the EGA Web site had only 2002 info (and earlier).
Do you know if that's still an active group? I'll try to figure that
out.

Oak Park's pretty far, but Hanover Park (I used to live there, I call
it Hangover Park!) would work. I should look into that one.

I also e-mailed some LNSs. One responded, said they don't have
anything. Another one said they're starting a monthly one in a week or
two, for 4 months total. I was referred to their Web site. It says
stitchers should go if they want friendly conversation and
companionship while stitching, or a nudge to get them going on UFOs, or
for help if stuck on a stitch. All for the low low price of $50,
supplies not included. I e-mailed back, asked what the $50 charge
covers. I wasn't necessarily planning on paying for this.

I'll check with my local park district. My library doesn't have info.
AAMOF, my library is on a big campaign to get info on local groups and
clubs for the library's Web site. They just started this project
though, and I don't know how long it will be before they have the info,
or even if there is a local stitching group that will contact them.

Thank you again for helping. I look forward to hearing from you about
that Hinsdale group.

Audrey

Marjorie wrote:
[...]

oups.com...