Power Pro Fishing line Vs beading thread.

Old January 7th 04, 04:27 PM
Meeta

Default Power Pro Fishing line Vs beading thread.

Hi
I am really new to beading and have been reading this message board
for sometime now. It has tremendously helped a novice like me.

However there is one thing that I am still not sure about. Is there
any difference between the PowerPro fishing line and the beading
thread available in the bead stores? Is the only difference in
packaging or are there any other subtle differences?

Thanks for helping me out on this one.
Meeta.
Old January 7th 04, 11:24 PM
Kyla

That's how I use mine, since I cannot get it through any of my beading
needles. It's not *as* good for this as others, because it tends to fray at
the ends. Since I am originally a seamstress, I have a habit of wetting the
end of the thread with my mouth; I don't use spit, LOL, but I always wear
chapstick, and that helps keep the threads together at the end. I imagine
beeswax would work, too.

This is a necklace that I made using PowerPro with no needle:
http://kylanicole.estore.wahmchicks....es/bigblue.jpg
I made two more in that same style, different colors, all with no needle,
took me about an hour apiece (that includes kids-interrupting time ;o)

--
Kyla
"Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off."

While we're on this topic, are any of these types of line stiff enough to

be a
"self needle" the way Beadalon is?

Celine

Old January 7th 04, 11:39 PM
Kyla

Thanks! It's really different from what I usually make; I mainly work with
wire. But, I had these little baggies that I had been filling with
like-colors of *spare* beads, orphans, etc. Came up with this so that I
could use those up ) I wore it out last weekend (also very odd, since
this is WAY bigger and bolder than my usual style), and someone asked if
they could buy it from me, for her sister. She was all excited, until I
told her that the set was $40.....;o) I don't feel bad, though; I am still
convinced it is worth that, and it felt good to get compliments on something
that was[previously] out of my comfort zone, kwim? )

--
Kyla
"Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off."

"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "Kyla"
:

]http://kylanicole.estore.wahmchicks.com/images/bigblue.jpg

oooooooooooh! that's LOVELY!

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]

Old January 8th 04, 12:05 AM
roxan

Thanks so much for your research on this. I agree completely, I use FireLine
that I bought from Cabelas 300 yards for $24.
I bought some power pro from a bead store for a lot more then I can get it
at a fishing store.
Roxan
"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from
(Meeta) :

]However there is one thing that I am still not sure about. Is there
]any difference between the PowerPro fishing line and the beading
]thread available in the bead stores? Is the only difference in
]packaging or are there any other subtle differences?

From beadnotes:
http://www.lampwork.net/beadnotes.html

FIRELINE
I've been using FireLine pretty much exclusively lately, and I'm very
happy with it. The initial stiffness in necklaces and bracelets
softens after a bit of wear, and the stuff seems pretty much
indestructible. Of course, I'm only using this for bead weaving
projects, for stringing, I still prefer SoftFlex or Soft Touch in the
smallest diameters (0.10?).

However, I've been worrying a bit about rumblings I heard that these
Spectra (or Dyneema, the generic name outside the US, AFAICT) fibers
break down in sunlight. I spent a productive half hour this evening
checking out the claims. The best sites were those that cater to fly
fishermen, because casting strength is imperative in that situation.

Turns out that these lines do not degrade in sunlight or in salt
water, that's how they're designed. The smoke gray color does fade,
which is a bonus, in my book. It's pretty invisible in any case.

Also, the line does not cut itself, unlike Kevlar thread. I suspected
this was the case because it would be pretty useless for fishing
otherwise. It is designed not to stretch at all, which is my
experience.

Interestingly, the fiber is made of recycled milk bottles, mostly, and
is neither braided nor a monofilament. It's like a teeny weeny rope,
woven around a solid core of the same material.

I feel much better now. I was quite concerned my stuff would fall
apart in sunlight, and now I know that won't happen.

BTW, I buy my line from a fishing supply store. It's an order of
magnitude cheaper than the "special" Power Pro being sold in bead
stores. The bead store reels are only 28 yards, which is like, what? A
day's worth of thread? I buy the 300 yard reels, which is a much
cheaper. As a bonus, I get on every fishing catalog mailing list in
existence. Woo-hoo, now I can find out how to "get the big ones!"

Somewhat dependant on "weight", but Fireline at KMart is $13/150 yds
for the 10#; same for Spiderwire (both are braided lines); Spiderline
Fusion (same fibers, not braided) is $7/150 yds. According to the
package insert, the 24# test line has 120 strands of Spectra fibers,
fused together; the Fusion is for those who prefer a limper line that
knots easily; the braided lines are a bit thinner for a given test
weight. Both are "near-zero stretch", even when wet (compared to up to
20% for monofilament).

POWER PRO see STRINGING MATERIAL
It's cheaper through fishing-stuff suppliers. (Check out Cabelas).
Comes in several "weights". The only two colors in the fishing lines
seem to be moss green & neon yellow.

It's made with a new, very tough polymer (Spectra); I think the PP
version is braided. Hard to cut-- good when you have sharp edged
beads. The same material is used in fishing lines made by other
manufacturers, and may be cheaper than PP. Some of these come in other
colors-- a soft gray for example. One brand had silicon coating. I've
been using Spiderline "Fusion"-- strands of some polymer (not Spectra)
that have been fused into one "line". The 24# test size is a bit large
to thread in needles for 11/0 Czech seed beads, but most of the
Japanese ones fit; I'm trying to find a smaller weight, but will
probably have to order it from Cabelas ($5.39/150 yd spool in the
catalog!). I've used it for all my "wooly worms" after the first one
(made with waxed Nymo D) started shredding.

My "wooly worms" are mostly glass, plus some stone and Swarovski
bi-cones. Also used some Bali silver beads & spacers (both as spacers
& as flat flowers), and wonder beads (acrylic). None of them seem to
shred the Spiderline, even with a very heavy focal bead tugging on the
composition. Power Pro for beadwork was originally promoted as THE
fiber to use with bugle beads and sharp crystal. The fishing line ads
all stress how abrasion proof the lines are.

The fishing lines are listed by "weight" test-- a "10#" line should be
able to pull in a 10# fish. These hi-tech lines usually have two
"sizes" listed-their actual test, and comparison to the same size
monfilament: for my Spiderline--"24#, 12# test diameter". Not sure
what that is in mm; the 24# Spiderline can be threaded into a size 10
beading needle fairly easily, if cut at an angle; sometimes I can get
it into a size 12 needle. I think the PP repackaged for beading list
mm diameters.

I've tried the PowerPro, Spider Wire, Spider Line and Fireline.
PowerPro - braided, difficult to thread into a size 15 needle. Larger
sizes might take the place of Beadalon-type products.
Spider Wire - flat, easy to thread. You can separate the strands for
small needles.
Spider Line Fusion - stiff, flat, easy to thread.
Fireline - Stiff, flat, easy to thread.
I bought these at Walmart - much cheaper than a fishing store.

SOFTFLEX
This works great - be sure you get the .010 size - you can get
SoftTouch in the same sizes as SoftFlex, but also in this one finer
size. I sell quite a bit of liquid silver (simple one-strand necklaces
- teens love 'em) and I prefer the .010 size - although .014 works
too.

those are just the ones i found quickly. there are probably other you
could find by scrolling through the link.

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
(Jewelry) http://www.vickijean.com
newest creations: http://www.vickijean.com/newest.html
-----------
The measure of the menace of a man is not what
hardware he carries, but what ideas he believes.-- Jeff Jordan

Old January 8th 04, 12:07 AM
roxan

It is worth a lot more then $40. You would be lucky to make anything if you
sold it for less.
Roxan
m...

Old January 8th 04, 12:30 AM
Kyla

Another on the subject of PowerPro....I read that it is only available in
green and yellow in bait stores, but mine is white (bought from a bead
store). Is the color the only real difference between the bait & bead
stores?

Old January 8th 04, 12:56 AM
BeckiBead

Kyla -- honey, that is so pretty. What is that big-ass bead in the middle? Is
it a crystal?

Becki
"In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view of the crumbling
difference between wrong and right." -- Counting Crows

Dumb Question Time on Fishing Line Arondelle Beads 11 November 26th 03 09:29 PM
Need help power pro line roxan Beads 6 November 13th 03 02:59 PM
Question about Beading Thread Tracey Beads 6 July 16th 03 07:52 AM
Another question.... Question about Beading Thread Ken Knecht Beads 3 July 16th 03 06:24 AM
c-lon beading thread and sterling jewelry tags june Beads 4 July 6th 03 04:44 AM