Designing your quilts

Old January 11th 04, 10:24 PM
QuiltHappyPat

Default Designing your quilts

I enjoy designing quilts using traditional patterns using graph paper
and colored pencils. Electronic software seems expensive for the
amount of quilts I do. How many of you design and what do you use?
Old January 11th 04, 10:43 PM
Karlee in Kansas

I design tons. I used to do it on graph paper with pencils and crayons,
but then I splurged and bought EQ5. I like EQ5 a lot better than my old
way....I make a mistake and one mouse click makes it go away or changes it.
I can test the same quilt pattern in different fabrics and colors without
having to re-draw the thing over and over...EQ5 makes it a lot faster. I
can design 8 quilts in the time that it used to take to design one. I
don't have to go hunting for the perfect block in 20-lebben different
books, most blocks are in the block library. I can also design my own
blocks, scan my own fabrics (in addition to the 15bazillion that are
already there). TONS faster, TONS more versatile, and well worth the
money. The only thing that I wish is that I would have bought it sooner.

Hugs,
Karlee in Kansas, still hanging on to all 15 of her graph paper pads.....
Queen of Packrats

Take a look!!! http://www.angelfire.com/ks3/karlee/index.html
~~
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't
matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

om...

Old January 11th 04, 10:59 PM
Diana Curtis

I do a little designing and I use a program called Paint Shop Pro ver.4. I
think any basic graphics program can be used for designing. I cant do some
of the things with mine that people who use EQ can, but it suits my needs.
I think if I had EQ I would find myself designing more quilts than I could
make in a life time... make that two lifetimes. :-)
Diana

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker

Old January 12th 04, 12:29 AM
Louise

I used to use graph paper and colored markers of various kinds, but now I
generally use EQ5. I love the fact that you can change color combinations
with one click and twist and turn the blocks any which way to create new
designs, add different size borders, change pieced blocks within the quilt
to solid blocks, and all sorts of other fun things. My only disappointment
is that I haven't had time to play with it nearly as much as I'd like
lately. Someday (when?) my life will slow down and I'll get back to it,
though.

What's important, though, is that you find what works best for you. If you
like the thrill of seeing a quilt develop as you draw, then that's what you
should do. Electronic design is great for some people, but it isn't
everybody's cup of tea.

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old January 12th 04, 01:04 AM
Kathy Applebaum

Most of my quilts are art quilts, so I design with paper and pencil, then
transfer to freezer paper for templates.

When I'm doing a traditional design, I often design in fabric by sewing up a
few test blocks and playing with them on the design wall. The ones that
don't make the cut go into a bag for future charity quilts. I've tried the
graph paper and the software routes, and found I still wind up changing my
mind 20 times before I'm done.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old January 12th 04, 01:08 AM
Julia Altshuler

QuiltHappyPat wrote:
I enjoy designing quilts using traditional patterns using graph paper
and colored pencils. Electronic software seems expensive for the
amount of quilts I do. How many of you design and what do you use?

I design with graph paper and experiment with fabrics for the colors.
When I first started quilting 17 years ago, I thought I'd die without a
computer to help me visualize. Now I'm not sure learning to use the new
toy would be worth the fun I'd have with it.

--Lia

Old January 12th 04, 01:59 AM
Kate Dicey

Diana Curtis wrote:

I do a little designing and I use a program called Paint Shop Pro ver.4. I
think any basic graphics program can be used for designing. I cant do some
of the things with mine that people who use EQ can, but it suits my needs.
I think if I had EQ I would find myself designing more quilts than I could
make in a life time... make that two lifetimes. :-)
Diana

Snap! I don't make enough quilts to use EQ of any number, but I wish I
could! Meanwhile Paintshop Pro works just fine, and I can print out the
maps to take up to the sewing room.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old January 12th 04, 02:48 AM
melinda

QuiltHappyPat wrote:
I enjoy designing quilts using traditional patterns using graph paper
and colored pencils. Electronic software seems expensive for the
amount of quilts I do. How many of you design and what do you use?

Pencil and paper for simple squares ans HSTs, computer (GIMP) for more
difficult shapes. My first quilt was arranged by row as I went - I
won't do that again, drove me up the wall!

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol