More on the demo......

Old November 4th 03, 07:30 PM
csteele

My inner voice says there is no benefit to selling in this store. I sell
perfectly well online at a good price and I'm in control of the entire
thing. I would sell to the store at the same price I would sell online but
in the store it *might* sell or it might not. Also the beads would just sit
in there and I'm used to making beads one week and selling them the next.
This is how it has been ever since I started making beads. I think the
market is a little slow but I don't mind lulls. It just makes me come up
with new designs and different combinations. The market would have to be
REALLY bad for my stuff not to sell. This has been my experience.

If I sold in her store it would be to do a nice person a favor. I don't
believe life is all about me. Helping her has it's benefits also.

The whole durable thing.....I personally am not convinced that it is very
durable. I mean, I know my beads can and do scratch. They can be gouged.
I think most other material beads are stronger then polymer clay. So, in
comparison to other beads, my beads would be the weakest. This bothers
me......And I can't lie about it. I'm not sure how durable is durable when
it comes to my beads. This is DEFINITELY where I lack confidence.

There was one lampwork demonstrator that was talking about how great MAPP
(?) gas was compared to propane. How it strikes the colors so much better
then the big set up with propane and oxygen. I felt she was lying and
talking up the hot head, which she was using. She also said she would use
the beads she made at the demo even though they weren't kiln annealed. I
would think that little mat thing wouldn't be good enough, but she said they
would be fine. Now, I'm not a lampwork artist but this didn't seem like
good information. She was just trying to sell the classes that would be
offered at the bead store (who happens to be owned by her sister). The class
would happen to use MAPP gas and that white pad thing.

The whole fan thing...I feel extremely uncomfortable when I'm repeated
complimented on my work. I know it's good, really good. But when people ask
how long have I've been doing this and I say "a year". Then they seem to
think my talent is nothing because it's only been a year. I know this
audience I had didn't realize I was as talented as I know I am.

The closest guild to me is 2 hours away and that's just too far. Also in
that guild there is one person that I can't stand, so I just don't bother
with it.

"Get out of the house more"...LOL. Yeah, that would be nice. I currently
have a 3 and 5 year old at home and getting out a bit is difficult at the
moment. I go to story time at the library.........does that count??!!

It is true, I feel MUCH more at ease with those who know polymer clay. The
store owner is a polymer clay artist herself and knows exactly the kind of
talent I have. She knows my skill level is extremely high. AND I'm right
in her back yard so she is perusing me. I don't blame her!

I think with the contract thing.....she just doesn't have one, not that she
wouldn't do one. I'll talk to her about it.

Thanks for your input!

Catherine

Dr. Sooz wrote in message
I do have inventory from the demo for
consignment but I'll need to really talk to the owner about the details.
I'm dreading that....

It doesn't have to be bad. And also -- you don't HAVE to do it. What

does
your inner voice say? Does *it* want to do it?

She is most certainly my biggest fan though. REALLY
wants my stuff in her store.

No she's not. I assure you. She's just your biggest fan that you have

met in
real life, face to face.

OH, and one person I thought said "these are adorable". I replied "thank
you" and she said a bit firmer "no, I said are they
DURABLE?"............awkward silence. That made for a tense moment. I
could tell her mind was already against my beads, so I just said I

thought
they were durable.

This was a perfect moment to tell everyone that indeed, they will last

through
washing in the machine (or whatever) -- it was an *opportunity*. Maybe

her
mind wasn't against your beads -- maybe she was in pain or her dog just

died.

One thing I know is this -- you cannot know what other people are going
through. You cannot know why they are in the mood they're in. 9 times

out of
10, they are not hating you (or your work), they are in their own little

world
of pain somehow. (Maybe they just had their first flashback of childhood
abuse! Which actually happened to someone I know, in public.) When she

said
"No, I said are the DURABLE," that was, actually, funny -- and had you

laughed
about it, it would have warmed up your audience.

Catherine, your stuff is world class GREAT, and you need to develop more
confidence about it before you venture into this sort of vulnerable arena
again, in my opinion. Because if you don't, you'll keep seeing these
situations as wounding, and you will lose your nerve.

Can you gather a supportive group to you somehow? Is there a local

polymer
clay guild you can join, to build your strength, and your faith in your

self?
Sure, the store owner is your "biggest fan" there -- so far!

As you said, "I get bored making beads ALL the time and I want a break!"

How
about scheduling regular breaks in your work, like you'd schedule a

doctor's
appointment? And when you do, wear your beads so people can see them and
comment on them. Perhaps you can build your sense of self in your work

that
way. Search out other venues for exposure -- not just this woman. Get

out of
the house more.

All this new
business is just a pain in my rear at the moment. This was a HOBBY and

now
it's most definitely just work.

I know how that is. I remember it well. It's kind of sad and it's

definitely
stressful to have what you used to do for enjoyment and escape become a

chore.
Maybe you do need to take a break from it, get away from it and look at it

well
-- from a distance. Explore what it really means to you.

But remember something -- those of us in this world who KNOW about polymer

clay
think of you as one of its best beadmakers. You can't take the attitude

of
those who don't know a fig about polyclay work and feel bad about them, or
yourself, because they don't know what they're talking about! WE DO. You

need
to surround yourself with people who know what your work is about, because
their feedback will actually MEAN something. Your work is absolutely
breathtaking and awe-inspiring. As Trinity says in the new Matrix

movie --
BELIEVE IT.
~~
Sooz
-------
"Those in the cheaper seats clap. The rest of you rattle your jewelry."

John
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

Old November 4th 03, 07:34 PM
csteele

I would LOVE to do a demo for others who at least have done something with
clay. Maybe I'll get that opportunity some time.

I'll be more prepared for the lack of understanding next time, that's for
sure. I just had a hard time with the ignorance. The owner was behind me
one time with out me noticing and she said "People just don't understand
you, do they Catherine?". She was right on with that comment.

Tink wrote in message
No contract, no dice. Period.

And don't feel bad about your demo. Being a 'trailblazer' is difficult,

but
at the end of the day, people always remember the first time they saw or
heard about something. The problem here, sales-wise, wasn't your work at
ALL. It was your audience. I learned that the hard way when I signed up

for
an 'art show' this past June and realized it was a low-end craft show/junk
market once I got there.

All in all, it was good that you got some experience with doing demos. It
will be easier next time. And it will be a LOT easier if you get a chance

demo to folks who "get it".

--
Tink

www.blackswampglassworks.com
New auctions up, including Victorian Holly
http://snurl.com/2pun

Old November 4th 03, 07:49 PM
Tink

Lampworkers get some of this kind of cluelessness, as well. I can't tell you
how many times I've been out while wearing one of my beads on a simple chain
and been asked, "Ooh! That's pretty! Where did you get it?" "I made it".
"No, I meant where did you get that bead?" "I made it. I melted the glass
and formed it and decorated it with a torch." "Oh. Uh huh." "So where did
you get the BEAD?"

It used to be funny. Now I just sorta wince when I sense that's where the
conversation is going. I've even taken to carrying a couple of short rods in
my purse to help me illustrate. LOL! And then I give them a flyer for my
classes. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old November 4th 03, 07:52 PM
csteele

Damn straight! I know exactly what a demo would involve and what it's like.
And next time, when I say no, if I want to say no, I'll know that I mean it!

Christina Peterson wrote in message
AND it will be a lot easier to say NO if that's what you want.

Tina

"Tink" wrote

Old November 4th 03, 09:13 PM
Dr. Sooz

Right on, Tink.

And don't feel bad about your demo. Being a 'trailblazer' is difficult, but
at the end of the day, people always remember the first time they saw or heard

about something. The problem here, sales-wise, wasn't your work at
ALL. It was your audience. I learned that the hard way when I signed up for an

'art show' this past June and realized it was a low-end craft show/junk
market once I got there.

All in all, it was good that you got some experience with doing demos. It will

be easier next time. And it will be a LOT easier if you get a chance to demo to
folks who "get it".

~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old November 4th 03, 09:15 PM
Dr. Sooz

Oh my GOD. :-P
I'm amazed that you don't just whack them over the head with a rod.

Old November 4th 03, 10:57 PM
csteele

Now that is something to think about!

Kathy N-V wrote in message
. giganews.com...
On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 13:23:32 -0500, Dr. Sooz wrote
(in message ):

But remember something -- those of us in this world who KNOW about

polymer
clay
think of you as one of its best beadmakers. You can't take the attitude

of
those who don't know a fig about polyclay work and feel bad about them,

or
yourself, because they don't know what they're talking about! WE DO.

You
need
to surround yourself with people who know what your work is about,

because
their feedback will actually MEAN something.

Damn straight.

If it turns out that you want to take a couple of steps back and not do

the
whole business thing, then don't do the business thing. You may have a
little less money in your pocket, but if your soul can't bear the bumps

and
bruises from being in the marketplace, don't do it. If the bead shop lady
wants to buy some beads for resale, fine. (DO NOT DROP YOUR PRICES FOR

HER)

Don't even think of doing consignment with someone who has so little
business-savvy: it's a prescription for heartbreak and bad feelings. (I

got
shivers when I read that she wanted to do consignment. Please don't do

it. )

Otherwise make beads, sculpture, whatever you want. That is your art,

your
outlet. Clay is cheap, your happiness is priceless.

Kathy N-V

Old November 5th 03, 12:34 AM
Dr. Sooz

If the bead shop lady
wants to buy some beads for resale, fine. (DO NOT DROP YOUR PRICES FOR HER)

Don't even think of doing consignment with someone who has so little
business-savvy: it's a prescription for heartbreak and bad feelings. (I got

shivers when I read that she wanted to do consignment. Please don't do it. )

I have to agree with Kathy, wholeheartedly. Sell 'em outright at GOOD prices.
I think consignment with someone who is so naive is a bad, bad idea.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old November 5th 03, 01:25 AM
Kandice Seeber

(((((((hugs)))))))

First time is always scary. And if the customers at that store did not
appreciate what you do, don't go back - especially if it didn't feel right
to you. Sometimes it is best to just stay online with business - it sounds
like you're comfortable with it and that you like the control you have
there.

As for consignment - I agree with everyone else - don't do it unless you
have a contract.

Your beads are worth every penny you charge and more. People online get
that - sometimes it's hard to convince people at bead stores because they
have no idea how much work goes into the product. Many people who buy beads
online have done their homework and know what polymer clay is and what it's
worth.

Stay strong and be confident - your stuff is gorgeous!!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

The demonstration part went alright, I guess. Some people were really
interested in what I was doing, which made it SO much easier, but most had
no patience to see more then a few minutes. I was even doing the "quick"
canes! Some canes I work on for days, and they thought I had lots of
patience to work on one for an hour. Only a few people truly understood

how
I went from a cane to the final bead. I would try to explain but I could
tell I just wasn't understood. I had raw slices of my canes out so they
could see me put them on the base but then didn't understand how I got the
cane and would often lose interest. A bit of a bummer for my first demo.
I'm also not good at just talking about my art, especially if they don't
even know what polymer clay is. I didn't get too many questions, so there
was a bunch of silence! That was stressful.... And I often got questions
that made no sense. I could just tell they didn't understand.

On the selling end, I sold 3 items, which I think would be in the BUST
category. I charged $20 for 6 beads (just floral), $35 for a bracelet set
of 8 tiles, $5 a bead if it had hummers, monarchs, or dragonflies on it
(which is high but those make great earrings for me to sell for $15 a

pair,
and they always sell at that price), and $15 for a pendant. Most thought

my
prices were way too high. I didn't even double all my prices from my base
prices I sell online, like some advice I was given (not that it was bad
advice though). The items that did sell, 2 of them were the most

expensive
stuff, so maybe me not selling much had nothing to do with the high
price.....?

The store owner was extremely grateful I did the demo and is putting major
pressure for me to sell at her store on consignment. I talked with one

girl
who has some things on consignment there, and she said there is no

contract.
Well, this makes me nervous, even though the owner is really nice and I
*think* I trust her (she is also new at business). I guess I'll just say
I'll do it only if there is a contract, which I know will make me feel
uncomfortable, but oh well. I'm just not a real balls-y person....LOL.

Another reason consignment is not really my cup of tea right now is, I'm
doing well online and I'm in complete control of the selling/making beads.
I get bored making beads ALL the time and I want a break! All this new
business is just a pain in my rear at the moment. This was a HOBBY and

now
it's most definitely just work. I do have inventory from the demo for
consignment but I'll need to really talk to the owner about the details.
I'm dreading that.... She is most certainly my biggest fan though.

REALLY
wants my stuff in her store. She is even willing to buy my stuff and then
sell it. I told her I would think about consignment first. I just need

get back to her.

Ok, this was all probably too much info! I need to get my butt outside

and
get the shrubs ready for winter before it IS winter.

OH, and one person I thought said "these are adorable". I replied "thank
you" and she said a bit firmer "no, I said are they
DURABLE?"............awkward silence. That made for a tense moment. I
could tell her mind was already against my beads, so I just said I thought
they were durable.

Catherine

Third Wolf wrote in message
How did your demo go last weekend?

Third Wolf

"csteele" wrote in message
November 1 & 2. Which is what, 2 weeks away?!