Don't expect to see me much today

Old April 14th 09, 02:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Default Don't expect to see me much today

On Apr 13, 10:52*am, "Carey N." wrote:

Ah, the best laid plans.....
You have my sympathy as well. *Maybe H&R Block next year?

Ours are done every year by a colleague who has a private business in
Stoneham. He takes very good care of us and is even patient with me
when it takes a while to get everything together. I can't think of a
better way to spend that $300, especially since I used to be the one
to do them before we started getting Paul to do them.

Elizabeth (calculating how to spend the return)
Old April 14th 09, 02:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MelissaD

Default OT taxes, was Don't expect to see me much today

Gillian Murray wrote:
Carey N. wrote:
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 4/13/09 8:25 AM, in article ,
"lucille"
wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 4/13/09 8:02 AM, in article ,

"lucille"
wrote:

Are you mad at your computer, or mad at us, or just generally mad ???
lol

No

Avoiding the husband that will be cursing and swearing as he does the
taxes
on the computer.

I believe I will have a very grumpy male in the house...

Been there,done that and stayed as far away from the desk area (pre
home
computer) as I possibly could in a small apartment. You have my
deepest
sympathy and a hug just because.

As they say, this too shall pass.

Part of me is laughing very hard. Basically, DH thought he had yesterday

do the taxes because Passover (and there for Easter) wasn't until next
weekend. Yesterday we went to the Cape for the day.... And Saturday was
traveling for lacrosse.

--
Carey in MA

Easy on, Carey!!! I worked with H&R Block for over 10 years, most of it
as year round in District Office.

I MUST say, we used to do a great job (I quit about 8 years ago).
However if someone comes in with a very complex return on April 10-15,
it was good to say that "yes we can do part of it. Yes, we can file an
extension which gets you out of the Non-filing penalty. We cannot , in
all honesty, get your huge return with partnerships, rentals, etc etc on
time."

Why not go as early as you have the data (March in the office was slow
time), get the paperwork done, and still mail it on the 15th. It totally
amazed me that so many people came in on the last week before filing;
this is when all employees, including the newbies get dragged in. Do it
earlier, and get better employees.

I really LOVED my work when I was in Maryland, but greatly disliked the
way it was run here in Florida ( a franchise) and that is why I quit.

Maybe, being an old coot, and seeing employees in jeans and T-shirts I
might change my mind. WE wore business clothes, and so forth.

I STILL LOVE doing taxes, but hate like hell paying them. I try to work
it that I owe them less than $50 at the end of the year( This year it
was $9)

Gillian, the number cruncher.

I have a personal goal of having my taxes done before the end of
February every year. I gather up my documents and run reports on
Quicken in January and February. As soon as I have my W-2s I fill out
the worksheet we get from our financial planner/tax preparer. I get
everything to him in February and he can turn around and have it all
done in just a few days because he isn't swamped yet.

I know they're not that difficult but I just don't enjoy it at all so I
don't mind paying the $130 or so every year to be rid of the chore.

Plus if I get them done early and find that I owe money (as I did this
year) - I have several months to save up the funds to pay the bill.

MelissaD
....who would prefer spending her free time baking, stitching or getting
the veggie garden ready for planting instead of doing taxes.
Old April 14th 09, 11:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
The husband will be doing the taxes today....
I will be doing laundry, cleaning up the yard, cleaning out the
garage.
Anything not to be in the general area of the computer

Cheryl

Are you mad at your computer, or mad at us, or just generally mad ???
lol

No

Avoiding the husband that will be cursing and swearing as he does the
taxes
on the computer.

I believe I will have a very grumpy male in the house...

Been there,done that and stayed as far away from the desk area (pre home
computer) as I possibly could in a small apartment. You have my deepest
sympathy and a hug just because.

As they say, this too shall pass.

Part of me is laughing very hard. Basically, DH thought he had yesterday
do the taxes because Passover (and there for Easter) wasn't until next
weekend. Yesterday we went to the Cape for the day.... And Saturday was
traveling for lacrosse.

Except for the lacrosse, that sounds like my ddh Mel. Isn't it amazing how
usually very intelligent men can get things so screwed up and then moan and
groan about it?

But at least this one in no way could be construed as anyone's fault but his
own.

Cheryl

Old April 14th 09, 11:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

wrote:

[...]

Some how I doubt it...

Old April 14th 09, 01:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

wrote:

[...]

For my DDH that would have been admitting defeat and that would never have
happened. Most engineers I know won't pay someone to do what they're
thoroughly convinced they can do better, faster and cheaper.

At least not the male ones.

Lucille

Old April 14th 09, 04:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Carey N.

"Gillian Murray" wrote in message
Carey N. wrote:

[...]

The woman that does my taxes here is wonderful. I only have my W-2, items
for the house, excise and donation-type items to deal with, so I don't think
I really present her with a serious problem. I will admit though, the first
year I went to her, I had 4 years of filings to do, and she smiled the whole
way through. Not planning on getting into that situation again, believe you
me! This year I'm getting back on Fed a nice amount, and only owe state
$12. I'm pleased.
--
Carey in MA

Old April 14th 09, 08:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Apr 14, 8:35*am, wrote:
On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 08:17:53 -0400, "lucille"
wrote:

For my DDH that would have been admitting defeat and that would never have
happened. * Most engineers I know won't pay someone to do what they're
thoroughly convinced they can do better, faster and cheaper.

At least not the male ones.

Lucille

Got that right ! *However now with all the tax software programmes,
life is good, I won't pay someone to do something I can do myself.
This year even with the wobbly (should not have done it while still
sick I guess) the error was fixed.

Even with the programs, mine are more complex than I can comfortably
handle on my own. I found I had too many questions that I couldn't
answer about depreciation, home offices, basis versus repairs, etc.
Sometimes it's worth paying for peace of mind.

Elizabeth (who stopped doing her own about 6 years ago)
Old April 14th 09, 08:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

wrote:

For my DDH that would have been admitting defeat and that would never
have
happened. Most engineers I know won't pay someone to do what they're
thoroughly convinced they can do better, faster and cheaper.

At least not the male ones.

Lucille

Got that right ! However now with all the tax software programmes,
life is good, I won't pay someone to do something I can do myself.
This year even with the wobbly (should not have done it while still
sick I guess) the error was fixed.

Even with the programs, mine are more complex than I can comfortably
handle on my own. I found I had too many questions that I couldn't
answer about depreciation, home offices, basis versus repairs, etc.
Sometimes it's worth paying for peace of mind.

Elizabeth (who stopped doing her own about 6 years ago)

Just the opposite here. I had a professional do it until a few years ago.
That was when I realized mine is pretty cut and dried, without anything
special.

Now I use TurboTax and it works very well for me, but if it was a
complicated return, I think I would go back to an accountant.

Lucille

Old April 14th 09, 08:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

lucretiaborgia wrote
"lucille" wrote:

[...]

Ditto, mine is pretty much the same year to year and the one I use
has an 'interview' section where is asks all sorts of questions to
check you have claimed anything and everything possible.

I can see paying someone to do it if things are changing yearly but I
am dismayed how many people I know like me who are still dropping a
couple of hundred to have a straightforward return done. They just
don't believe how easy it is with good software.

I still hand over the money to an accountant, rather than endure DH's rants
and rages. And he still has a few complications in his tax status, although
they have become less since he no longer works. DD uses tax software, since
her circumstances are straightforward (salaried employment, charitable
deductions, student loan payments) and finds it very easy. I would do that
myself, but would not want to take responsibility for DH's tax, and he
cannot do it himself, as he lives firmly in the 19th C and cannot cope with
call waiting, digital answering machines, cell phones, computers or DVDs.

Dawne