Janice James Raku Artist

Old December 17th 05, 11:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Default Janice James Raku Artist

Hi,
Here is a link to the updated website of Janice James, the raku ceramic
artist.

http://www.janicejamesceramics.com

Any suggestions/comments would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Dylan

Old December 18th 05, 12:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

All I got was a set of links on the left, and an otherwise blank page!

???

Steve

In article .com,
dylan writes

--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old December 18th 05, 04:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

The page is done with Macromedia Flash so you have to have that
installed to view it. The ceramic work is interesting, but I find
this sort of webpage annoying as hell.

deg

Old December 18th 05, 06:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

"dylan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
Here is a link to the updated website of Janice James, the raku ceramic
artist.

http://www.janicejamesceramics.com

Any suggestions/comments would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Dylan

I am sometimes irritated by macromedia flash and too complicated websites,
this one does work well though and I like the simplicity of it. The work -
it is well made, some of the "faces" are almost scary, however some of the
"faces" look Maori, with Maori style tattoos. As a white New Zealander I am
am conscious that many Maori consider their imagery sacred, or their own
intellectual property. I do not want to cause offence, but I would not
portray Maori face tattoo (moko) without permission.

Old December 18th 05, 07:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Hi, thanks,

Looking into it right now, the website requires flash, we're currently
working on a flash alternative.

Dylan

Old December 18th 05, 09:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Hi,

I appreciate your comments, I hope my work doesn't offend anyone. The
heads are not portraits and are not meant to portray specific people,
but meerly my interpretation of the widely diverse images of people and
cultures around the world.

However, if in the future I intended to take any inspiration from Maori
tribal art, I will keep your comments in mind.

Janice James

Old December 19th 05, 07:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

I'm sorry Dylan, but this website is not very good. It is
inconvienient to have to mouse over those triangles to find out what
they are links too ... and that's if you decide ... hey those triangle
things must be links!

Plus the "Meet cute girls" link(s) across the top are just annoying and
stupid. To say nothing of the google ads down the left. Is she trying
to publicize her work or make click through revenue?

You want an alternative to flash? It's called html.

Old December 19th 05, 11:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Thanks for your comments.

I understand what you are saying about the links, it's been the subject
of discussoin for some time.

The links at the top were not permanent, they're gone now.

And in response to your last question she is trying to do both!

Dylan

Old December 20th 05, 11:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

dylan wrote:
Hi,
Here is a link to the updated website of Janice James, the raku ceramic
artist.

http://www.janicejamesceramics.com

Any suggestions/comments would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Dylan

Hmmm, wanky flash crap. I'd suggest getting a web designer who is
interested in showing off her work, and not how clever they are.
The work is extremely interesting, and I would like to be told more
about it, after all, that is why I went to the site, not for some prat
to show off their flash "skills".
the flash movie is all very pretty and simple, but at the cost of
properly displaying the work, there is no sense of scale, or "value" in
the presented images.
As for the google adds - what the hell??? Someone has put in a lot of
effort to get a "gallery" look on that website, then they pimp the
sidebar like a porn site! Talk about a major clash of concepts!
But, I guess it's artistic, and I always seem to miss the point of
"art", and keep thinking they left the "ph" off the front of the word...
I'll stick with craft pottery, and finely crafted webpages thanks, going
back to disabled flash on my putas, as 95% of flash content on the net
is advertising!