ash glaze

Old November 28th 04, 02:09 PM
sandi

Default ash glaze

Hello Everyone,
I've washed my woodstove ashes 3 times, sieved them and tied a piece
of cloth over a bucket and dumped the ashes on the cloth and let them
suspend over the bucket a few days but now I think I need to lay them
out flat and break up the clumps but I don't know what to put them on
that won't react with the ashes and corrode it. Can I put them on an
old aluminum baking sheet? I'd like to put them on something and dry
them on top of the kiln. Can I leave them there during the whole
firing or might the ashes ignite? Thanks in advance for any info on
this subject.

Sandi
Old November 28th 04, 02:30 PM
Steve Mills

I use an old enamelled baking tray, I wouldn't recommend aluminium;
anything caustic will attack it! If there are any unburnt bits in the
ash they might smoulder IF they get hot enough. If however you prop the
container up on three 4 inch props on top of your kiln that shouldn't
happen, they will just dry out.

Steve
Bath
UK

In article , sandi
writes

--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old November 28th 04, 10:45 PM
sandi

Steve Mills wrote in message ...
[...]

Thank you, Steve. I never thought about using an enamal pan. I will try that.

Sandi
Old November 29th 04, 09:53 AM
JM

Rather than drying over a kiln, why dont you spread them onto a chipboard
panel. Chipboard is a great way to knead overwet clay on to dry out a
little, so perhaps it will draw out the moisture from the ashes too!
Just a thought!
JM

Old November 29th 04, 03:36 PM
sandi

"JM" wrote in message ...
Rather than drying over a kiln, why dont you spread them onto a chipboard
panel. Chipboard is a great way to knead overwet clay on to dry out a
little, so perhaps it will draw out the moisture from the ashes too!
Just a thought!
JM

Thanks JM, that seems very logical. The ashes won't react in a bad
way with the chipboard? Would I be able to use the board for kneading
clay after using it to dry the ashes? Thanks again.

Sandi
Old November 30th 04, 12:09 PM
JM

" Thanks JM, that seems very logical. The ashes won't react in a bad
way with the chipboard? Would I be able to use the board for kneading
clay after using it to dry the ashes? Thanks again.

Sandi,
I shouldnt think they would react with the chipboard... and you could
always scrub the board clean, to avoid contamination, and let dry out again
for kneading.

My workbench is topped with chipboard, I use chipboard bats for drying
greenware on too! In fact, you could call me a chipboard-a-holic, as my
studio (shed) is positively lined with the stuff)! LOL
JM

glas FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 October 16th 03 07:50 PM
Glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 1 September 18th 03 04:16 PM
glaze FAQ's Tom Buck Pottery 0 August 18th 03 01:26 AM
glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 18th 03 05:40 AM