florida keys still there?

Old August 15th 04, 01:08 AM
Slgraber

Default florida keys still there?

is wayneinkeywest still there?

i suspose it might not have been a good night to try a wood fire with huricane
charlie passing by...

i hope all's ok over there...

maybe this was a good day to collect some seaweed & driftwood though for that
beach pit firing.

see ya

steve
steve graber
Old August 15th 04, 03:24 PM
wayne

"Slgraber" wrote in message
is wayneinkeywest still there?

i suspose it might not have been a good night to try a wood fire with

huricane
charlie passing by...

i hope all's ok over there...

maybe this was a good day to collect some seaweed & driftwood though for

that
beach pit firing.

see ya

steve
steve graber

Thanks for asking Steve.
Yeah, still here. It was also not a good day to try drying
pots...not in a 110 mile per hour wind blowing rain.
(I watched the wind drive rain right through 1/2 inch
plywood. Now _that's_ wind!

We pretty much escaped damage in Key West,
though the poor folks in Port Charlotte got wailed on.
I know people (potters) that lost everything except the
clothes on their backs (literally.) I am extremely grateful
that it wasn't our turn. We had ours in '98 with Georges.

Who was it said "Nature bats last" ?

--
Wayne Seidl
Key West, Florida, USA

Old August 15th 04, 07:21 PM
Marmaj40

So happy you are safe. I was wondering if you know anything about Cape Coral?
I have friends there, and the last communication I received was that they had
closed their storm shutters. The news only talks about Punta Gorda. I think
they are close to Punta Gorda.
I thought maybe the local papers might mention other cities. Thanks, and
remain safe through this hurricane season.
Martha
Old August 17th 04, 08:29 AM
CNB

Cape Coral is only about 30 miles south of Punta Gorda. They are lucky if
they have storm shutters. They are on the right side of the eye so they
could have gotten tornados. I hear the storm hit at low tide and that is
what saved them from flooding from the storm surge. I'm sure they didn't
have a good time but I bet they are ok. Hope they didn't have any damage.
The devistation hit all the way across Florida. Orlando is a mess too and
it's on the other side of the state. It's on the news a lot here in New
Orleans because a hurricane like that would be New Orleans worst nightmare
since the city is below sea level. Flooding would be about 3 stories high.
They estimated about 50,000 people would die because most people don't leave
when a hurricane hits.

I just did a Google search on Cape Coral for you. Here's a couple articles
you may want to see. There was a tornado. It does say no injuries reported.
60,000 people are without power. The phone lines are probably down.
Hurricane Charley left 145 Cape Coral residents homeless and caused $305
million in damage, city officials said Monday. (These are probably mobile
homes)

http://www.naplesnews.com/npdn/news/...110615,00.html
http://www.news-press.com/news/weath...pecouncil.html

Hope all is well for them,
Crystal

Old August 17th 04, 12:22 PM
Marmaj40

Thank you all for info Cape Coral. Still haven't heard from friends, I'm
sure the power hasn't been restored. Thanks again for all of the links. They
have been helpful.
Martha