Dinnerware set

Old February 3rd 04, 06:38 PM
Deborah M Riel

In article ,
Monika Schleidt wrote:

If you want to serve dinner, you don't need a sugar bowl and creamer (who needs
sugar and cream for dinner?), you need serving platters, serving bowls, gravy
dispenser, of course large plates, small plates, salad bowls, maybe soupbowls,
some more serving bowls. just think about Thanksgiving at home, what is on the
table.
Sugar bowls and creamer go with a coffee or teaset, coffee pot, teapot, coffee
cups, saucers,dessert plates, sugar bowl, creamer and a serving dish or two for
cakes and such. The coffee and teaset doesn't have to match the
dinnerset, since it
is served after the main meal, maybe even in a different room?

Monika

See, I'd go with the sugar, creamer, coffee and tea set as part of the
dinner set, along with the serving pieces you mentioned (plus butter
dish and salt&pepper shakers). That gives you the option of having a
breakfast or luncheon with coffee or tea served along with the food.
Most of the dinnerware sets I've seen have these pieces included, and
I decided to include them in my own set. Maybe different countries do
different things?

Deb R.
Old February 3rd 04, 06:41 PM
GaSeku

Bologna!
Old February 8th 04, 02:58 PM
Nancy Albin

Hi Diego
I know I'm a little late responding to this but I haven't been around
for a while. Hello all.

I make dinner ware sets from time to time and have always put them
together according to the needs of the customer ordering the set.
Sometimes I will suggest pieces to include if the buyer seems to need a
nudge but usually they have a pretty good idea of what they want. With
the free flowing casual nature of my work people are not so attached to
formal table presentation although I know of one collector who sets her
table with her finest sterling and my cave woman pots. One collector had
to have a dozen chargers to under set her formal settings and had me
come to her formal dining room to show me how the tables would be set
and in what setting they would be used. not that this could have an
effect on the designs,but it was fun to see the deKoonings on the walls.

A good selection would be; dinner plates,salad or desert plates, a pasta
or soup bowl, a desert bowl, tumbler, goblet or mug, large serving bowl
suitable for 6-8 to have pasta and some smaller serving bowls , and a
pitcher, perhaps a teapot. That would be the basics. Go from there
depending on how formal your work is and the needs of the customer.

I make only handbuilt things and have quite a few designs (florals and
things) . I find a good number of people wanting dinner ware sets like
to mix and match the designs.
Good luck in your adventure

Nancy Jane

Old February 12th 04, 08:19 PM
Hannah Hunter

Hi Diego,
I have been selling dinnerware for 19 years now. This is what I do.
I try to stock all the dinnerware items I make, and price it all by
the piece. No discouts for quantity. I price my place reasonable to
lure them in for the set. This way people can have immediate
gratification(no wait for orders) and can choose what they want. Lots
of people are buying a few place settings at a time and filling in as
they can afford. This has opened up the market to many more sales to
people who may not be able to afford it all at once. I have three
size plates: dinner, lunch(or salad) and bread & butter/dessert. I
make 3 size bowls for eating, small for ice cream or rice, medium for
soup or salad, larger for one meal pasta or salad meal. Then I have
goblets and mugs. The serving pieces are many and varied and all the
dinnerware customers keep coming back for more serving pieces. I have
not had much luck selling creamers and sugar bowls or gravy boats. I
make them when asked. I have 2 sizes of serving bowls and much more.
see it at: artsprescott.com
and click on Hannah Hunter to see. I am very successful and happy to
share. I use a slab roller, wheel and 2 different size extruders.
Have fun.
Hannah Hunter
Old February 12th 04, 10:06 PM
Diego

Very nice Hannah. I see how you have used a fairly uniform glazing
pattern and mix of color. So, one could mix and match. Great work.

Thank you to all of you for your input. I've got the salad plates and
dinner plates done. Made some tumblers last night. Now I've got
a design in mind for mugs and goblets. I was only making eight of
each but a fellow potter suggested making nine, one to sacrifice to the
"kiln goddesses".

Diego

om...

Old February 14th 04, 01:53 PM
Nancy Albin

Hi Hannah

I make my individual pieces available all the time also and find that
works very well. But I will as I've mentioned take orders on a set. NJ