Anyone know about Insulite or Insulbrite for oven mitts?

Old January 15th 04, 03:10 PM
Quil

Default Anyone know about Insulite or Insulbrite for oven mitts?

I saw this stuff at a LQS last week for $2.50 yard. It looks like batting,
but it had silver metal in it, or so it seems, and it is used in making oven
mitts and pot holders that really keep the oven heat from reaching your
hands. I can't find it at TSWLTH or Hancock's locally, and so I am asking
if any of you have seen it, used it, can you remember if you saw it less
than $2.50 yard, did the metal bother your machine needle or rotary cutter
blade edge? Does it really do the job well?
I know that $2.50 a yard is cheap, but Wonder Under is frequently 99 cents a
yard, and so why would I pay $2.50 a yard for it if I could find it for
less?

Cyndi

Old January 15th 04, 03:19 PM
AliceW

I've used it for pot holders, but my DH was not impressed with how it worked
though. I bought it in a package at a quilt show, I think it was a yard of
the stuff. It was easy to cut with rotary cutter and didn't bother my
machine. It compresses really well when making the pot holders. This
serves as a batting and a heat resistant material all in one.

HTH

Alice

Old January 15th 04, 03:31 PM
Quil

Do you think that silver padded stuff they make ironing board covers with
would work better in making oven mitts? Thanks, Alice!
Cyndi

Old January 15th 04, 04:01 PM
AliceW

Cyndi, I've not used that product, but I think it should work ok as long as
you include several layers of batting in between. You may want to do a
google for pot holders and see what the web says about that. I don't know
how it would work with machine sewing, although it should cut ok. I intend
to use the rest of my insulbrite to make trivets for the table.

Alice

Old January 15th 04, 06:51 PM
Donna in Idaho \(remove invalid\)

Alice, how many layers did you use? The pattern for the ironing pad and
case for a little iron that we made called for two layers of the
Insulbright.
--
Donna in Idaho!
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator

Remove ".remove.invalid" to reply

Old January 15th 04, 06:59 PM
AliceW

The pot holders used only one layer of the Insulbrite, but used a layer of
regular batting (thin stuff) on either side of the Insulbrite. These pot
holders are the kind that have flaps on the sides for your thumb and fingers
so they needed to be thin enough to fold around the pot handle or oven rack.
I guess when you use it for an ironing pad, it's ok, but when you have to
pick up a hot oven rack, the thicker the better. He didn't burn himself,
but it was definitely "too hot to handle" for any period of time.

Alice

Old January 15th 04, 11:31 PM
Pati Cook

Insulbrite and Wonder Under are two totally different things. Insulbrite is an
insulating batting. Wonder Under is a paper backed fusible web. I haven't had
a chance to use the Insulbrite but it is sold at the machine dealership where I
teach. The others there have used it and said it is great.
You can also use it to make insulating carriers for casseroles and crockpots.

Pati, in Phx
(Cyndi..... are you coming to the Tucson quilt show this weekend? I'll be there
with some of the AZ Dear Jane group. and we might be able to meet up if you
are.)