Introduction and a couple of questions

Old May 19th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Islands

Default Introduction and a couple of questions

Hi,
It has been a couple of years I think since I posted here so I'll
reintroduce myself...I'm an elementary teacher from California and I
love to knit and do bead and wirework. A few years ago I got really
bad joint pain and couldn't use my fingers very well and had to stop
everything, then it gradually got better and I've been doing small
things. I also love gems and minerals (I attend our local gem club
meetings which have an incredible mix of people and are a great
resource-a few local geology professors, jewelry store owners, jewelry
designers and makers, plus lots of rock hounds) In 2001 I got my
Graduate Diamonds Diploma from the GIA which was fascinating-I can
grade diamonds although I only use it for myself-I'm still teaching.
My questions a do you like Swarovski beads? If so, which styles,
sizes and colors do you like best (if money were no object?!) I'm
thinking of making gifts (mostly bracelets and lanyards) for staff and
don't know if I should use Swarovski, if people like the beads or not
(I'm not wild about them but they seem really really popular)
Thanks,
Lisa

Old May 20th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Glitzy Glass

Welcome back Lisa, glad to hear you are doing better. I have been a
bit missing in action for a few months myself. Seems life just gets
in the way sometimes . Anyway, here is my opinion on the S.
Crystals - people love them and this season is the season of shimmery
fabrics, so designs with that "bling" quality are really popular. I
especially like adding one larger Crystal to a beaded design, instead
of a bunch of smaller crystals - but that is just a matter of taste.
It all depends on what your vision is for a certain peice. So that is
my two cents .
Denise
Glitzy Glass Studio
www.glassbeadz.com
auctions on the bay - http://snipurl.com/1la2r

Old May 21st 07, 07:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

On 19 May 2007 09:54:57 -0700, Islands
wrote:

[...]

I am not sure if this really answers your question, but I belong to a
buying group that buys almost $50k worth of S crystals a year at
wholesale. I think that is an indication of their popularity.
Old May 21st 07, 02:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

If it's a choice between Swarovski and Czech, it might be worthwhile
to keep this in mind--Czech crystals will scratch over time and lose
their luster. Swarovskis are harder and less prone to scratching. I
think this is especially important if you are making bracelets and
lanyards, since these pieces will come in contact with desks and
office equipment.

I see the Swarovski dealers at shows doing extraordinarily well, and I
use them myself to add a little kick to my lampwork.

Hope this helps,

Nolly

Old May 22nd 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Vicky

On May 19, 11:54 am, Islands wrote:
[...]

they are a very popular bead thats for sure enjoy them they are a
vuale you put in every piece of jewelry you do!

Old May 22nd 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Vicky

[...]

value sorry typo V

Intro and a couple of questions [email protected] Yarn 30 August 23rd 05 12:34 AM
Couple of newbie questions Jennifer Landry Beads 10 March 5th 05 08:53 PM
Couple of questions Greta Spring Beads 5 March 4th 04 06:47 PM
Introduction, & a couple questions about the group..... Kyla Beads 19 November 3rd 03 07:10 PM
Couple more questions... Karlee in Kansas Beads 11 July 18th 03 05:46 AM