OT cooking question - too much heat

Old February 5th 07, 06:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Default OT cooking question - too much heat

I made a nice pot of soup today; it's chilling and waiting for tomorrow.
Meanwhile, please help me. I added a can of original Rotel which I assumed
(yes, I know) was not as hot as the others. Mercy. Wonder what I can add
to the soup to absorb some of that heat? Potatoes? Rice? some cotton
batting? I need help. Polly

Old February 5th 07, 06:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Could you use this batch as a base for other dishes and
freeze it in small portions? Then use SOME as a base for
other soups or maybe pasta sauces.

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
:I made a nice pot of soup today; it's chilling and waiting
for tomorrow.
: Meanwhile, please help me. I added a can of original
Rotel which I assumed
: (yes, I know) was not as hot as the others. Mercy.
Wonder what I can add
: to the soup to absorb some of that heat? Potatoes? Rice?
some cotton
: batting? I need help. Polly
:
:

Old February 5th 07, 06:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny

Polly,
Just bring that nasty ol' soup to me. LOL. I was raised in Texas and
lived most of my life in Phoenix and I have a taste for hot and then
some. But, if you want to take some of the heat out, add
starch.Probably wont' make a whole lot of difference unless you can
increase the volume a significant amount (without adding any more of
those "mild" Rotel cans. And, like most things cooked with hot stuff,
it's likely to get hotter as it sits.

Good luck, and try eating it with some good cornbread while drinking
lots of cold milk.

Hugs,
Sunny

Old February 5th 07, 07:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

I think I just heard this on a cooking show or read it in a magazine. Add
sugar! Sounds so obvious, doesn't it? I don't think my brain would have
gone there all by itself though!

Pauline
Northern California

Old February 5th 07, 01:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anna Belle [email protected]

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 23:01:51 -0600, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

I made a nice pot of soup today; it's chilling and waiting for tomorrow.
Meanwhile, please help me. I added a can of original Rotel which I assumed
(yes, I know) was not as hot as the others. Mercy. Wonder what I can add
to the soup to absorb some of that heat? Potatoes? Rice? some cotton
batting? I need help. Polly

Polly,
No help with the "hot" situation, but wanted to share a project our
DS1 has been involved with for a couple of years.
He lives in Boston and is single. One of his friends organized a
-soup swap-. There were 10 people involved last year.
Each person made 6 quarts of homemade soup. Not chili or the common
kinds unless it had a special twist or seasoning.
Freeze all 6 quarts individually in containers.
The host has snack foods ready and all spent a short time visiting and
then drew names for the first, second etc. choices of soups.
All went home with 6 quarts of 6 different soups they would probably
never have tried otherwise. They included the recipes.
One person was a Russian immigrant and she brought borscht (sp?). It
was a great hit.
There was a prize for first soup gone and last to be chosen. A wooden
spoon.
There are 8 swaps planned this year in 5 different cities.

Sort of sounds healthier than cookie swaps.

Anna Belle in Palm Bay
Old February 5th 07, 02:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 23:37:32 -0600, Sunny wrote
(in article .com):

[...]

Piggy backing cause I just had a thought. Dairy. Dairy will absorb that
heat, so maybe a little milk or plain yogurt or sour cream. Or have a big
glass of milk next to you while you are eating that soup.

Maureen

Old February 5th 07, 02:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

In article ,
"Polly Esther" wrote:

I made a nice pot of soup today; it's chilling and waiting for tomorrow.
Meanwhile, please help me. I added a can of original Rotel which I assumed
(yes, I know) was not as hot as the others. Mercy. Wonder what I can add
to the soup to absorb some of that heat? Potatoes? Rice? some cotton
batting? I need help. Polly

Turn in into a big batch of soup by doubling everything else.

My mom swears plain tomatoes helps - I dunno her food it HOT

Dairy - serve the soup with cheese/sour cream on top.

marcella
Old February 5th 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

This gives an entirely new meaning to the expression 'soup base'. I put
half of the hot soup in the freezer, added sugar and other good stuff to the
rest. If none of that works, I guess I can just hunt for a Texan or a black
bear. Thank you all. Polly

Old February 5th 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

A dollop of sour cream on each serving might help.
I use Rotel MILD ... it did nicely in the soup I made
last week. I think I need to make a soup today. Does
anyone have a FANTASTIC soup recipe that is low fat??
PAT in VA/USA