Do I have to quilt in a 2" border?

Old March 8th 04, 07:16 PM
Eli

Default Do I have to quilt in a 2" border?

I am quilting a lap quilt. I have an inner border about 36" x 45" x 2". I
quilted in the ditch on both sides of the border. I'm using Warm and Natural
batting. Is it okay to leave that border area unquilted? I know width-wise
it's okay (only 2"). But what about the long length? Will the batting
bunch up without stitching every 10" or so?

Thanks in advance,
--
Gina in IL
http://community.webshots.com/user/dgelias

Old March 8th 04, 08:35 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
I'd quilt in it, at least a little. I don't like having a
2" "channel" running around the quilt; no matter what
the batting, 2" is a good-sized space for some of the
batting to bunch up and get kind of lumpy. I'd take a
few stitches every 4"-6" inches, just to keep it tacked down.
But, it's YOUR quilt, Gina. ;-D

Ragmop/Sandy

Old March 8th 04, 11:53 PM
nzl*

i agree with ragmop.
i could see a continuous line of leaves right down that border, free motion
by machine ought to be quick and easy to do too.
something like this perhaps...
http://www.quiltmaker.com/motifs/
theres some real neat ones in continuous and border designs.
ambling ivy, cottage vine, blossom vine...heck, theres so many.

we finally upgraded to digital satellite tv and now get the simply quilts
and quilt central programs, albeit they are the older ones from back in
2002. i'm happy with that though.
yesterday i saw one quilter (cant recall her name now) who when she does
free motion designs, she first draws it out on paper several times to get
her rhythm on the design then does it on the quilt. it seems to put her
brain into the pattern mode before she starts on the machine. she also took
her designs from the fabrics or the design on the quilt if it was applique
or pieced...she had one with a maple leaf block and covered the quilt with
big maple leaves, looked lovely. another one with vegetables on it and she
repeated those vegetables in coloured threads along side and they look
fantastic...carrots, onions, tomatoes (regular and cherry size) and ohhhh,
something green, fancy me forgetting what was green. must have been dazzled
by the colour and didnt even register what the vegetable was, lol.
dont forget pix when u finish.
jeanne
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

" Ellison" wrote...

Old March 9th 04, 01:49 AM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article ,
"nzl*" wrote:

[...]

Sounds like Kathy Sandbach. She does fun stuff. Has a book
too....might be worth a library check.

marcella
more quiting is always better than less
Old March 9th 04, 02:03 AM
Eli

Thanks - a simple cable or leaves it will be.

Gina in IL

Old March 9th 04, 04:42 AM
nzl*

yup, thats the lady, thanks, marcella.
jeanne
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Marcella Tracy Peek" wrote...

Old March 10th 04, 06:03 PM
Roberta Zollner

You need to consider how closely the rest of it is quilted. If you have big
unquilted places like this, and the rest is full of stitching, it will poof
out. Low-quilting borders might even turn out wavy, since quilting tends to
shrink the surface a bit.

And even if the rest is more or less 2" apart, this long blank strip will
look very prominent if you leave it empty. You could do a couple of parallel
lines about a third of the way in from each side, if you wanted something
ultra-simple.
Roberta in D

Old March 10th 04, 09:34 PM
Kathy in CA

Oops! to me then 'cause I didn't know any better. Most of my finished quilts
have no stitching in the border at all except the SITD all around all
borders. Some of my borders are 3"-4". Of course I have only been quilting a
year and only just started last month doing some fancy quilting stitches
from templates. Will have to start stitching down the big borders with
fancy quilting stitches in the future. Thanks for the tip.
--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:

om...

Old March 11th 04, 01:26 PM
Eli

I liked the look of it blank, but the rest of the quilt is heavily quilted
so I decided to do a quick cable. It turned out nice. My DD2 loves it -
it's pink - her only requirement and it's not hard to please a 2 year old...
:-)

I'll post pics as soon as we return from vacation.

Gina in IL