Beaded Cabochon

Old May 13th 07, 12:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beadbimbo

Default Beaded Cabochon

Hi Anna,

I glued it to Lacy's Stiff Stuff, did the beading around the cab, and then
glued that to the ultrasuede. Then, I beaded around the seam to cover it.

I've also done it the way Armand described, with no backing, and just doing
a peyote stitch. The only problem I had with that was that it didn't work
well with smaller cabs because you have to cover too much of them to keep
them in place securely. It was fine for bigger cabs. Then again, I'm such
a newbie, maybe I was doing something wrong.

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

"Anna W." wrote in message
Hi Jerri...

WOW!! It's so pretty. Your daughter did great in choosing the malachite
cab. I hope you don't mind me asking but what do you glue your cab to.
Also, what do you put on the back. I've seen (on TV) where it's stitched
to felt and backed with ultrasuede. Is there a different or better way?
Thanks...

Anna W. in Tx

Old May 13th 07, 12:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beadbimbo

Thanks, Armand!

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

wrote in message
On Wed, 9 May 2007 13:51:11 -0400, "Beadbimbo"
wrote:

I love beaded cabs and have only done a couple of simple ones. This is my
most elaborate yet! I can't wait to try more!

My DD (now 13) gave me this malachite cab for my b.day last Nov., so this
one will
always be special. The stone reminds us of an island.

http://www.beadbimbo.com/ebay/malcab3a.jpg

Nice spiral rope.
Kerry says you did a really good job
Kerry really likes the malachite with the heart.
Armand

Old May 14th 07, 06:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Anna W.

Hi Armand...

Thanks for that info. I did more searching and finally saw the cabs done
with peyote stitch. I'll have to give that a try after my wrist heals.
Thanks again...

Anna W. in Tx

wrote in message
On Sat, 12 May 2007 20:43:53 -0500, "Anna W."
wrote:

Hi Jerri...

WOW!! It's so pretty. Your daughter did great in choosing the malachite
cab.
I hope you don't mind me asking but what do you glue your cab to. Also,
what
do you put on the back. I've seen (on TV) where it's stitched to felt and
backed with ultrasuede. Is there a different or better way? Thanks...

You don't have to put anything behind it if you do a tight enough
bezel. Kerry never backs her cabs.
You could do a couple of strips of peyote across the back if you are
afraid it might fall out that way.
Armand

Old May 14th 07, 06:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Anna W.

Hi Jerri...

Thanks for sharing your experience with different size cabs. I'm itching to
bead again. I sprained my wrist but I think I could bead a cab because it's
more like sewing. Yours are so pretty and it inspired me to try something
new. Thanks again for the info...

Anna W. in Tx

Old May 18th 07, 07:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Valerie

Be careful Anna...I got an RSI from bead embroidery, which is similar to
beaded cabs. But...you can finagle so you can bead with wrist braces on. ;-)

Jerri, the cabs (catching up now) are gorgeous! I can't wait to see more of
what you create.

--
Valerie
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.valeriebeads.com
http://valeriebeads.etsy.com

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
-Michelangelo Buonarroti

Old May 19th 07, 05:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Anna W.

Hi Valerie...it's good to see you posting again. Thanks for the heads up.
I'm still wearing a brace on my right wrist. I'm left handed so the sprain
hasn't slowed me down too much. I've healed enough that I can hold something
in my right hand without too much discomfort. I figured a cabochon would be
a good way to ease back into beading.

Jerri blows me away with her beading.

Anna W. in Tx

"Valerie" wrote in message
Be careful Anna...I got an RSI from bead embroidery, which is similar to
beaded cabs. But...you can finagle so you can bead with wrist braces on.
;-)

Old May 19th 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Valerie

Hey Anna!

Yeah I peek in every so often. :-)

Well it sounds like you're on your way to healing. My only warning is to
listen to your body though. If it hurts, quit! I also made the mistake of
ignoring my pain and taking Ibuprofen for the pain. Unfortunately it wasn't
a high enough dose to have antiinflammatory effect, but enough to mask the
pain. I ended up worse than if I had just listened to my body telling me to
stop. Set a timer to take a break even if you don't feel pain...you don't
want to take a step back in your recovery, because you were stubborn (like
me!).

I'd think beaded cabs would be a good rebeginning too. But, yeah a cab is
small enough that it's not a huge project. And think, once you build up a
little stash of beaded cabs you can put them all together into a necklace
(check out the examples in that book).

Oh yes. It's been fun to watch Jerri go from "seed beads? No way!" to the
full fledged addiction of the little buggers. Muwahahahaha! She certainly
has the talent for them!

--
Valerie
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old May 20th 07, 07:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Anna W.

The sprain has been a real pain...pun intended. I knew I enjoyed beading
but didn't realized how much I'd miss it...until I couldn't do it. I'm a
slave to the timer anyway, so your suggestion will work for me.

Anna W. in Tx

"Anna W." wrote in message
Hi Jerri...

WOW!! It's so pretty. Your daughter did great in choosing the
malachite cab. I hope you don't mind me asking but what do you glue
your cab to. Also, what do you put on the back. I've seen (on TV)
where it's stitched to felt and backed with ultrasuede. Is there a
different or better way? Thanks...

Anna W. in Tx

beaded cabochon necklace Beadbimbo Beads 4 April 23rd 07 02:46 AM
Another question about beading a cabochon.......... Beadbimbo Beads 5 August 12th 06 10:40 AM
Question beading a cabochon Beadbimbo Beads 39 August 1st 05 10:53 PM
Beaded cabochon Helene Beads 34 May 26th 04 10:26 PM
My first beaded cabochon Beadbimbo Beads 3 August 17th 03 04:47 PM