silver color combination

Old July 7th 03, 03:58 PM
m4816k

Default silver color combination

I'm thinking of getting some jewellery in diferent combinations of silver
color, but I don't know is it worth it. For example, I was thinking of
getting 3 rings, one of which would be of platinum and the other two of
silver (and wearing them together with the platinum one in the middle to
make a dramatic look with the diferent shades of silver), but I don't know
would the diference in the shade of silver be noticable, or, would that
platinum band look very much like the silver ones. I was also thinking about
a platinum pendant on a silver chain. Could (in those cases) combining
silver with white gold be a better option (opticly speaking)? Or even white
gold with platinum?

Old July 7th 03, 04:06 PM
Peter W. Rowe

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 08:00:20 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry "m4816k"
wrote:

but I don't know
would the diference in the shade of silver be noticable,

Of the three choices you give, white gold, platinum, or silver, silver is the
whitest, and platinum is the "greyest". The color difference between them is
quite noticable. If, instead of the platinum, you wish to use white gold,
choose something made of the palladium based white golds, without a rhodium
electroplate. The palladium white golds are also a bit grey, with a somewhat
warm tone that some call brownish, so it shows up well against silver also.
With silver vs. the others, you can also play with more than the color of the
metal itself, since of course silver easily takes patina colors, like the
blue/black from liver of sulphur, or you can use different finishes to emphasize
the difference as well. matte finishes show the color more than polished ones.
Silver, if heated without flux, and then pickled, becomes a very matte, very
white color completely unlike the look of polished metal. If this is used on,
say, recessed areas so it won't wear down quickly, then again, the color
difference would be dramatically obvious.

Peter
Old July 8th 03, 01:37 AM
KG

"m4816k" wrote in message
news
I'm thinking of getting some jewellery in diferent combinations of silver
color, but I don't know is it worth it. For example, I was thinking of
getting 3 rings, one of which would be of platinum and the other two of
silver (and wearing them together with the platinum one in the middle to
make a dramatic look with the diferent shades of silver), but I don't know
would the diference in the shade of silver be noticable, or, would that
platinum band look very much like the silver ones. I was also thinking

about
a platinum pendant on a silver chain. Could (in those cases) combining
silver with white gold be a better option (opticly speaking)? Or even

white
gold with platinum?

You have two other options that have become increasingly popular, and that's
stainless steel and titanium. I personally like the look of stainless with
sterling, and it could also be a very nice combination in wearing multiple
bands.

You can see a good example of the color difference at either of the
following URLs:

http://www.stuller.com/apps/images/m...ngs/brc195.jpg or
http://www.stuller.com/apps/images/m...ents/22011.jpg

The darker metal is the stainless, by the way.

Best of luck,
KG

Old July 27th 03, 05:57 PM
Heinrich Butschal

Peter W. Rowe wrote:
and platinum is the "greyest".

This is true for th very popular alloy Platinum/Cobalt.
The formerly used alloy Platinum/Iridium is really white.
I like to use this alloy to give a strong contrast to 18 Kt rose Gold
--
Heinrich Butschal
Gutachten, Projektmanagement