OT (sort of) Shank remover thingie

Old April 13th 04, 04:41 PM
anne

Default OT (sort of) Shank remover thingie

On a good S.E.X. day, I picked up a package of themed buttons to use as
embellishments. I'm wondering if the shank remover thingie is worth getting.

Have any of you used one?

Does it require much dexterity or strength?

Do you have any suggestions to get buttons to lie flush on the fabric if the
shank isn't removed?

--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply
Old April 13th 04, 06:10 PM
JoyceG in WA

I use my button shank remover quite a bit for various projects. It doesn't
take a huge amount of strength to snip most of the shanks, but the little
pieces that you cut off can go flying across the kitchen - LOL! There is no
way to get a button to lay flat if it has a shank - the shank is there to let a
button go through the thickness of fabric involved with a buttonhole, so the
button is meant to stand up a bit above the fabric.

I waited till I had a Joanne's 40% off coupon and bought it then. The regular
price seems to be about $7 or thereabouts.

-JoyceG in WA

Anne wants to know:

Old April 13th 04, 07:22 PM
anne

JoyceG in WA said
I waited till I had a Joanne's 40% off coupon and bought it then. The regular
price seems to be about $7 or thereabouts.

Thanks for the information. I've got a coupon ;-)

--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply
Old April 13th 04, 07:23 PM
anne

Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply said
Once you cut the shank off, how do you attach the button to the fabric?

Glue or one of those adhesive dots that scrapbookers/card makers use.
--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply
Old April 13th 04, 08:09 PM
Karen C - California

In article . com, anne
writes:

I'm wondering if the shank remover thingie is worth getting.

I don't have one. The few times that I've needed one, my needlenose pliers
from the hardware store have a wire cutter in them. Then just sandpaper it
smooth.

--
Finished 3/17/04 -- Elmo
WIP: Fireman's Prayer, Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old April 13th 04, 08:31 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply wrote:

Once you cut the shank off, how do you attach the button to the fabric?

That was what I was gonna ask, too. Glue them on?

Some shank buttons have very little depth. As Joyce mentioned, not only
are shanks designed for thick fabrics, they're also used when you want a
loop closure.

Dianne

Old April 13th 04, 08:32 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Except that not all shank buttons are wire. Many are the same material
as the button, including glass. :-)

That's where a Dremel comes in handy.
Dianne

Old April 13th 04, 08:57 PM
QueenCityXStitcher

Oh My Gosh!!!!!!!!

My Mother the BUTTON QUEEN will have all your heads for defacing
Buttons. Just kidding, but it truly would upset her.
http://www.geocities.com/loribbq/

Bobbie V.

Remove knot with a net to reply