Strands of Floss

Old January 24th 05, 08:25 AM
Telnes

Default Strands of Floss

Hello, My name is Theresa. I've been lurking for 6 weeks or so. Thought I'd
drop a line and get some tips at the same time.

I'm new to cross stitching. Years ago, I did quite a little bit of stamped
linen surface embroidery. I found a set of pillowcases that had been hanging
around for a while and decided to finish them. That was the initial steps to
what now seems almost like an obsession.

I'm trying to pace myself. I started with some bookmarks, on to finger towels,
and now I'm right in the middle of Donna Kooler's "Celebrate" sampler. I have
really high expectations and I've been collecting Paula Vaughan and Teresa
Wentzler!

My question is this - While you are working a piece what do you with partial
strands. I've been using the single strand doubled and through the loop to
start a color.. It has made a big difference in the neatness of the back. But
right now, I have a wad of strands. i.e. 2 strands left on the length of
white, 4 strands left on the yellow, 1 strand of red,light gray, dark gray,
light medium and dark blue, etc, I don't want to toss them because the colors
are used again in another section of the sampler. There has to be a better way.
Any tips?
Old January 24th 05, 08:34 AM
Judy

"Telnes" wrote in message
[...]

I put mine on the paper cards. I think they are called bobbins? I wind the
whole spool on it and then unwind the length that I work with and cut the
number of strands that I need and then put the end of the whole thread in
the cut on one side and then wind up the partial thread and put it through
the other slot.
It works best for me. I hope you can understand what I am saying. I do
better when I can talk with my hands
Judy

Old January 24th 05, 12:44 PM
F.James Cripwell

Telnes ) writes:
Hello, My name is Theresa. I've been lurking for 6 weeks or so. Thought I'd
drop a line and get some tips at the same time.
(snip)
My question is this - While you are working a piece what do you with partial
strands. I've been using the single strand doubled and through the loop to
start a color.. It has made a big difference in the neatness of the back. But
right now, I have a wad of strands. i.e. 2 strands left on the length of
white, 4 strands left on the yellow, 1 strand of red,light gray, dark gray,
light medium and dark blue, etc, I don't want to toss them because the colors
are used again in another section of the sampler. There has to be a better way.
Any tips?

I have a solution for this problem, but it is not very popular. It
uses a "four letter word" which stitchers seem to hate; "Measure". What
I do is to look ahead of what I am going to stitch, and count how many
stitches there are of that colour or symbol. Then, knowing how many
stitches I can get from a given lenght of floss, I can cut as much or as
little as is required. Then one does not have too much in the way of
pieces left over. Needless to say this technique does not always work,
but it does most of the time. Also it takes quite a lot of trying before
one can do this reasonably quickly by eyeballing the length rather than
actually measuring how much is required.
To continue a little on this, I cut my floss into standard lengths,
first of all 6 at a time. When one has been partially used, I tie it
through the hole in the bobbin, and next time, may not have to untie the
knot. This also tends to speed things up. If by any strange chance you
are interested in more about making measurements, dont hesitate to email
me; rctners dont like the subject. HTH.
--
Jim Cripwell.
From Canada. Land of the Key Bird.
Old January 24th 05, 01:05 PM
BonnieBlue

"Telnes" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Theresa!

I also keep my floss on the card bobbins. When I stitch, I cut my thread at
about 18" or so, pull out the number of threads I need and then wind the
remainder back onto the bobbin. However, if I am working with a skein of
floss, I take the unused strands, double or quadruple them and attach them
with a larkshead knot around the remaining skein. (I think that's what the
knot is called...you pull one end through the loop on the other end and snug
it down...)
--
BonnieBlue

WIPs:
Summer Patches pillow by Homespun Elegance
Knitted Cardigan by Lion Brand
Knitted Amish Throw with Manos

Commit random acts of literacy! Read & Release at
http://www.bookcrossing.com/friend/BonnieBlue

Old January 24th 05, 03:08 PM
Ruth409028

My question is this - While you are working a piece what do you with partial
strands.

Hi, Theresa. Welcome to the board.

I usually have my colors in numerical order on the Loran project cards. If I
have a big enough piece, I will just put it with the color using a lark's head
knot. I have even been known to go into the sack where I put discards and dig
thru that in order to find a piece long enough for just 1 more stitch.
HTH. Frances

Take Jacques out before replying.
Old January 24th 05, 03:16 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Theresa

I know two respondents already mentioned bobbins!
I just wanted to expound a little bit for you.

At your LNS (local needlework shop) you will find translucent plastic
boxes with the inside divided up into several squares, you might call
them button boxes too, and these are used to hold your bobbins.

A Bobbin consists of a nothing more than a die-cut piece of flat
pasteboard (cardboard) and usually come 25, 50 or 100 in a package.
They also make plastic or vinyl ones, but they are usually more
trouble than they are worth.

Many of us OPEN the skeins of floss and place them on the bobbins
immediately upon purchase of the floss.

How I do it is, I first write the COLOR NUMBER on the top edge of the
Bobbin. Then I feed about 1 inch of floss through the hole near the
bottom of the bobbin and hold this against the back as I wind the
floss onto the bobbin. Most bobbins have little slits in the
pasteboard near the top to hold the loose end of the floss. Then
these filled Bobbins are placed into the plastic box in numerical
order.

As an aside: Because some needlework calls for single strands, some
two strands, some three strands, etc. Before using the bobbins for
the first time, I add three additional slots to the bottom of the
bobbin on the protrusions. That way I have a place to rewrap divided
strands.

I had noticed that you said you use a single strand in the needle and
double it over, thus stitching with two strands.
Although there is nothing wrong with doing it this way, it can become
quite tiresome on the old arms.
An alternative method is to start with two strands about 18 inches
long, feeding BOTH strands through the eye of the needle, then
doubling back so that you have 4 strands passing through the material
when you stitch. However, you leave the leading end about 6 inches
short of the tail so that after pulling the needle and floss through
the backing you end up with only two strands making the stitch. This
way you are only moving your arms about 9 inches on the first stitches
and less as you progress consuming the floss. As the tail of the
floss nears the leading end, you allow the floss to slide through the
eye of the needle so you once again have about 6 inches of tail.

Everyone on this newsgroup will be glad to offer other tips that make
stitching more fun and enjoyable.

TTUL
Gary

Old January 24th 05, 03:37 PM
Rockngrny

My question is this - While you are working a piece what do you with partial
strands.

I use the floss away bags or you can just buy snack size baggies in the store.
Or if you aren't using the bags you can take those extra strands and loop them
thru one end of your skein of floss. That way they are there for you to use
later when you need that color and they are on the correct color skein so you
know what color it really is.

Old January 24th 05, 04:14 PM
anne

Telnes said
My question is this - While you are working a piece what do you with partial
strands. I've been using the single strand doubled and through the loop to
start a color.. It has made a big difference in the neatness of the back.

If I haven't unwound or used the entire skein, I sometimes stitch orphaned
thread lengths on to the paper labels

--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply
Old January 24th 05, 04:16 PM
Lucille

"Ruth409028" wrote in message

My question is this - While you are working a piece what do you with
partial
strands.

Hi, Theresa. Welcome to the board.

I usually have my colors in numerical order on the Loran project cards.
If I
have a big enough piece, I will just put it with the color using a lark's
head
knot. I have even been known to go into the sack where I put discards and
dig
thru that in order to find a piece long enough for just 1 more stitch.
HTH. Frances

Take Jacques out before replying.

That sounds perfect to me. It's what I do too, including using the
discards. I'm glad to know I'm not the only cheapskate in the group.

Lucille.

Old January 24th 05, 06:42 PM
Jan1228

Hi Theresa -

I have a cheap alternative for you. All you need is a
package of plain 3x5 index cards and a hand held hold punch.
Punch a line of holes down the side of the index card, label it with the
floss number and the stitch symbol. Loop the floss threads through
and you're all set for those other sections.

Hope That Helps,
--
Jan - WebMistress of:
'A Stitch In Thyme'- http://www.alpinemeadow.com/stitchery/index.html