Decals on sinks

Old November 23rd 04, 05:06 PM
Bosco

Default Decals on sinks

Can anyone give me any info on how to fire a decal on a sink. Thanks so
much.

Old November 27th 04, 12:03 AM
walamalacalucy

"Bosco" wrote in message news:66Kod.313784$nl.251364@pd7tw3no...
Can anyone give me any info on how to fire a decal on a sink. Thanks so
much.

well the obvious answer to this is to first remove the sink (if it is
already plumbed in) attach the decals and fire as one would normally
to the temp. for that particular decal. someone once asked me to
re-fire a sink for them but i had to refuse as the sheer weight of the
sink (a double belfast/ butlers sink ) would have ruined my kiln. I do
know someone who fired a decalled ? (spelling) toilet though, but he
did have a big walk in kiln. You can buy rub on decals that look
almost as good if they are applied correctly and they are water proof
as they are specifically made for toilets and sinks. saw them on the
shopping channel a couple of years back ---sad---.
Old November 27th 04, 11:35 AM
Steve Mills

Another point if the sink has already been used; fire it VERY slowly.
You'd have to do that anyway 'cos a sink is a big enough mass to get up
to temperature in an industrial kiln, never mind the sort of size most
of us operate with. If it's been used there is going to be moisture in
the body, even if it is, so say, vitrified, so VERY VERY slowly is the
order of the day!

Steve
Bath
UK

In article ,
walamalacalucy writes

--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old November 27th 04, 03:12 PM
Lcdumas

I believe there are also some epoxy paints that can successfully be used on
sinks, etc. My daughter had someone change the color of her shower tile 10
years ago, and it is still holding up.

Linda D in TX
Old December 3rd 04, 06:59 PM
Eddie Daughton

'fact if you've got a computer thingy running your kiln, i'd set it to give
you about 24 hours @ 75 C before you start the firing...... I re fried a
bowl once that had been out in the garden (summer tho a dew in the night)
had been fried to ^10 so well vitrified, yep, you guessed it, i took it out
the kiln with a dustpan + brush...... Moral is to make sure its dry and then
dry it again with a bit of heat.......
Hugz
Eddie
news