Your gifts

Old December 28th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Default Your gifts

ellice wrote:
But, still - she has sort of blocked out her hijinks of youth.
And believe me - there were many.

I asked a friend, who spent most of college in an altered state, how she
was giving the "Just Say No" speech to her kids, and she insisted she'd
only tried it once or twice. Yeah, maybe once or twice a day....

Me, I readily admit I had a much-undeserved Goody Two Shoes reputation.
No, I wasn't quite as bad as she was, but I had my moments. Those
closest to me knew; those with whom I had just a passing acquaintance
were always shocked when I suggested some mayhem. "You're joking,
right?" And my best friend would just roll her eyes, because she knew I
wasn't. I was just very good at doing things under cover of darkness
and not getting caught.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

http://my2.tupperware.com/KMCampbell

"On his tombstone, Benjamin Franklin wanted it said not that he had been
rich
but rather that he had been useful."

Finished 12/14/08 - GMTA/Great Minds Think Alike (Bucilla)

WIP: Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono
(Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

www.CFSfacts.org -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://cfs-facts.blogspot.com/
Old December 28th 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
bungadora

On Dec 26, 6:31*am, anne wrote:
Did anyone get any stitching related gifts this holiday season?

Nope.

However, I went to my DB's place (2 brothers who live in the family
farm), and such is their lack of domestic skill that I brought 2
embroidered (one by my mother, and one by my aunt) and one linen
tablecloth woven by another aunt home to clean properly. The cloths
have been soaking in oxygen bleach solution all morning to get the
stains from LAST Christmas out.

Maybe I'll give them back ... maybe not.

Dora
Old December 28th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Linda D.

On Dec 26, 10:33*am, Jangchub wrote:
On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 08:31:20 -0500, anne wrote:
Did anyone get any stitching related gifts this holiday season?

We don't exchange gifts on THE holiday, but thisyear I'm going to buy
myself a nice set of knitting needles in an assortment of sizes. *I
was thinking of buying the interchangeable cables for circular needles
and hand carving the actual needles myself. *

I'm not sure about bamboo or a size range which would get me started.
These DVDs I have make it look so simple to knit the most wonderful
patterns on grids. *Everything is precise and I am attracted to it.

Ideas on what I should buy for myself?
Victoria

http://gotbodhicitta-wangmo.blogspot.com/
Updated daily when able.

Victoria,

If you are wanting to learn to knit socks, I would bypass the double-
pointed needles and scoot right to using circular needles for socks.
I started knitting socks in the summer of 2007, and began with double-
pointed needles, within hours of starting the sock, I switched to
using two circulars, and my second sock was knit using one circular
needles and the magic loop method: http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques
or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtBSmxGomPk I know others may
disagree, but using the one circular was much easier for me, and I
would never go back to using double-pointed needles. Addi Turbo
needles are great to use, as are Knit Pick needles
http://www.knitpicks.com/knitting+needles.html and I prefer the nickel
plated fixed circulars, but some people like the harmony wood.

Now back to what should you buy for yourself...the best knitting
needles you can afford, as it makes knitting much more enjoyable. Oh,
and if you get into knitting lace try the Addi Turbo Lace needles,
they are excellent to work with, and I couldn't believe the difference
between those and the regular Addi Turbos for knitting lace...the
regular Adddi's were too slippery.

Have fun...Linda
Old December 28th 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lewmew

On Dec 27, 9:42*am, ellice wrote:
On 12/26/08 4:21 PM, *"lewmew" wrote:

.I admit, I did my shopping, but I got a gorgeous handpainted canvas

(it's probably 24 x12) and threads for it as well as Laura Perin's
Amethyst DReams and the threads to do it in the black/silver color
scheme (Donna is doing it too if you want to see one).

Linda

Ah, you just made me thing- I have the "errata" sheets from the 2nd class I
taught - they needed much more instruction than the group which Donna was
in. *I'll send them to you (I figure once someone has found the chart errors
- it's good to share them).

Ellice

Better hurry! I've started! Believe it or not, already had a problem
- I miscounted (despite counting 3 times, I swear!) the crosses in
large diamond and did half of them over 6 before I realized it was 7!

Linda
Old December 28th 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
bungadora

On Dec 28, 11:23*am, lucretia borgia
wrote:
On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 10:07:12 -0800 (PST), bungadora
opined:

On Dec 26, 6:31*am, anne wrote:
Did anyone get any stitching related gifts this holiday season?

Nope.

However, I went to my DB's place (2 brothers who live in the family
farm), and such is their lack of domestic skill that I brought 2
embroidered (one by my mother, and one by my aunt) and one linen
tablecloth woven by another aunt home to clean properly. *The cloths
have been soaking in oxygen bleach solution all morning to get the
stains from LAST Christmas out.

Maybe I'll give them back ... maybe not.

Dora, replace them with polyester easy care cloths, they will think
they are wonderful and you can preserve your mother and aunts work lol

Oh they'd probably be happy with plastic and paper plates. But family
politics is what it is. Gotta love 'em.
Dora
Old December 28th 08, 07:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 12/28/08 1:41 PM, "lewmew" wrote:

On Dec 27, 9:42*am, ellice wrote:
On 12/26/08 4:21 PM, *"lewmew" wrote:

.I admit, I did my shopping, but I got a gorgeous handpainted canvas

(it's probably 24 x12) and threads for it as well as Laura Perin's
Amethyst DReams and the threads to do it in the black/silver color
scheme (Donna is doing it too if you want to see one).

Linda

Ah, you just made me thing- I have the "errata" sheets from the 2nd class I
taught - they needed much more instruction than the group which Donna was
in. *I'll send them to you (I figure once someone has found the chart errors
- it's good to share them).

Ellice

Better hurry! I've started! Believe it or not, already had a problem
- I miscounted (despite counting 3 times, I swear!) the crosses in
large diamond and did half of them over 6 before I realized it was 7!

Linda

On the way in about 1 mimute. Also, to point out - on the area to upper
left of center diamond - the part closest to the upper left border of the
diamond she left blank. We compensated in the litle crossed flower things.

I'm pretty sure it's spelled out in the document I'm sending you.

Just be very careful counting the spacing between the dividing lines. I
suggest doing the horizontal and verticals out from the big diamond, then 1
at least to either side. After that - you can do fun, but keep on finishing
the dividers as you go. Don't do the outer border early - or even worry the
inner border.

I know you're having fun.

Ellice

Old December 28th 08, 08:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"lucretia borgia" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 14:17:55 -0600, Jangchub
opined:

Yes, it's amazing how virtuous some people become - I wonder if they
truly forget and convince themselves it all happened differently ?

I don't take anything for granted. I never forget how I got here. I'm
very much in reality. However, I don't feel horrible about my past,
nor ashamed of it because I haven't been that person in a very long
while. That's the great part of growing up; the ability to not be
ashamed because it is no longer who I am.
Victoria

I wasn't meaning you specifically, was thinking more of the cousin
Ellice mentioned. I think people can put it so far behind them they
believe the truth as they would like it to have been. You brought
the subject up so clearly you have no illusions, so maybe it's the
type of person one is, I tend to be black and white like you, no half
measures and no illusions lol

No Kiddin !!!! lol

Old December 28th 08, 08:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

"lucretia borgia" wrote
Yes, it's amazing how virtuous some people become - I wonder if they
truly forget and convince themselves it all happened differently ?

I think having been a very bad kid made me a good parent; I tried to be the
kind of parent I should have had, and my kids never felt they had to risk
life and limb to prove I wasn't the boss of them.
And because I had been there done that, and they knew it, they were easier
with telling me what was going on, before they got too far into things that
would be really messy to get out of.

Dawne

Old December 29th 08, 03:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

"lucretia borgia" wrote ..
Cheryl Isaak opined:

Dawne wrote:

Self respecting Canadian kitchens have a tin of Bird's, because
otherwise
you cannot make Nanaimo bars!

Dawne

Ok - where's the recipe? Those sound lovely....

One of the local Chinese places always has a sweet vanilla custard out to
go
over "steamed buns". So good. The kids are quite hooked.

Don't do it ! They are good but contain ten million calories per
square centimetre !

I would, just for that, except I am supposed to be packing because I am
leaving for Calgary in the morning, and don't have time to type it up. But
I am sure someone will come to the rescue.
A Nanaimo bar has a fairly thick base of graham wafer crumbs, nuts and
coconut in a chocolate sort of suspension, covered by a layer of butter
whipped with sugar and Bird's custard powder, which gives it a lovely
yellowy colour, topped by a layer of melted chocolate, and is indeed
calorically dense.
There are lots of versions, including using coffee in the butter layer for a
cappucino version, which is pretty good too, but the classic is still great,
and I don't think a saw a Christmas dainty plate that didn't have some.
Dawne

Got $5 gifts? Here's 3 for you....................... pretty cheap jewelry Marketplace 0 October 31st 07 04:47 PM
Gifts in a Jar [email protected] General Crafting 0 July 29th 06 04:28 PM
OT gifts for 6 yr old ??? Polly Esther Quilting 65 December 23rd 04 11:33 PM
X-mas gifts [email protected] Yarn 0 November 19th 04 05:25 PM
GIFTS! Matthew Benedict Marketplace 0 April 6th 04 07:02 AM