What are you stitching this summer?

Old June 23rd 08, 08:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Shanti

Default What are you stitching this summer?

My Dad is considered "cured" after getting it at 70+, but a kid nearby died
in a few weeks. I have wondered if non-Hodgkins is a catchall phrase used
for multiple types.

There are indeed many kinds of non-Hodgkins lymphoma. They could be T-
cell lymphomas or B-cell lymphomas, and many sub-types in each
depending on the cell lineage. Some of these are fast-growing and some
slow-growing, and they may all metastasise, which adds to how one
describes the stage of the cancer, ie, how advanced it is.

-Shanti.
Old June 23rd 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jenn Ridley

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 6/23/08 3:37 PM, in article
, "Shanti"
wrote:

My Dad is considered "cured" after getting it at 70+, but a kid nearby died
in a few weeks. I have wondered if non-Hodgkins is a catchall phrase used
for multiple types.

There are indeed many kinds of non-Hodgkins lymphoma. They could be T-
cell lymphomas or B-cell lymphomas, and many sub-types in each
depending on the cell lineage. Some of these are fast-growing and some
slow-growing, and they may all metastasise, which adds to how one
describes the stage of the cancer, ie, how advanced it is.

-Shanti.

I just find myself wondering why lump them all together?

They're not, really. They're all a type of cancer called lymphoma (as
opposed to other kinds of cancer) and they're not Hodgkin's lymphoma
(which has a treatment method all its own). There is no *one*
treatment for non-Hodgkins lymphomas, so there's no medical accuracy
lost by lumping them all together.

I suppose that it might be clearer if they were called "lymphoma,
non-Hodgkins", but qualifiers tend to stay with nouns better if
they're in front of them.

jenn

--
Jenn Ridley :
WIP: Poppies (Art-Stitch), two knitted tops, Oriental Butterfly
Old June 24th 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

My Dad is considered "cured" after getting it at 70+, but a kid nearby died
in a few weeks. I have wondered if non-Hodgkins is a catchall phrase used
for multiple types.

Cheryl

IIRC, non-Hodgkins means cancer of the lymph but not like it is with
Hodgkins. Not sure what Hodgkins type is but my mom had non-Hodgkins
Lynphoma and died within about 1 1/2 yrs just before her 75th b-day.
One thing I DO know is that if your "lumps" stay in one quadrant (like
above waist on left only or below waist on left, etc.) there is a VERY
good cure rate because the lumps can be removed. Once the lymphoma
crosses the body, either from left to right or top to bottom, you are
pretty much not expected to have any sort of cure.
My mom had a lump in the groin on the right, got scared, didn't go
to the Dr. until it was the size of a baseball and learned that she also
had small lumps in her armpit lymph on the left side. Dr. gave her a 1
to 2 year survival expectation BECAUSE she had waited and didn't have
the first lump removed as soon as she found it!
The moral of the story is that you don't KNOW how bad you are until
you find out. Ignoring it and hoping it will go away is almost NEVER a
good idea!!! CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old June 24th 08, 11:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 6/23/08 7:21 PM, in article , "Tia
Mary" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[...]

Strangely, my Dad's was in the groin and in the brain (and supposedly a
common pairing - no jokes please) and he's fine now.

Old June 25th 08, 04:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Strangely, my Dad's was in the groin and in the brain (and supposedly a
common pairing - no jokes please) and he's fine now.

Is there any sort of lymph in the brain? I mean, non or not,
Hodgkins is lymphoma which is some sort of cancer of the lymphatic
system. I don't know enough about the brain to know if there is lymph
stuff up there or not! I think when the Dr. told my momo about the
whole quadrant thing I'm sure he meant from the neck down and
specifically the groin and armpit/chest area. CiaoMeow ^;;^

Old June 25th 08, 04:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Stef[_2_]

I just finished a free tulip pattern I received with Cross Stitcher
magazine (UK) for my mother and a sweet little tooth fairy box for my
daughter (it's a box with a open top for the cross stitch and the
pattern is done on the DMC pink striped aida with a little fairy and
my daughter's name on it).

I am about half way through a zodiac piece also out of the above
magazine which is a little doll dressed in yellow (it's for virgo).
It's very cute and will go to my sister who is a virgo.

I am also working on a WIP which is a Mr. Men alphabet sampler also
for my daughter. I have quite a bit of work to do on that but you
know how it is when you just need a break from a piece.

Happy Stitching!

Stef x

Old June 25th 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
bungadora

On Jun 21, 1:24*pm, MargW wrote:
Let's get back to needlework.

Well it seems like months since I was doing any needlework. However,
I dragged out a computer generated chart and a piece that I started a
year ago - Jrdin de bagatelle.

I've been working on it for 2 weeks now, and have done 2 rows.
Definitely not a 'fast' piece. I'll be lucky if I finish it by age
85.

Haven't really done anything else. I'm thinking of making some
necklaces. I might start another cardigan.
Dora

Old June 28th 08, 12:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Shanti

Default Non Hodkins Lymphoma

Sorry I've been offline for the past week or so; the power supply to
our lightbox gave out on Monday and I've just come back online. Well,
lymphoma is primarily cancer of the lymph nodes. Hodgkin's lymphoma is
easy to identify under a microscope due to the presence of a
"Hodgkin's body" in the affected cells. It is also more easily
treatable by chemotherapy. In fact, in something like 80% of the
cases, the patient goes into remission for many years. The non-
Hodgkin's kind is so called, because it is not immediately identified,
and the cells have to be cultured before they can determine what kind
it is. As I said before, depending on the lineage of the cells, it
could be T-cell or B-cell lymphoma. That is the broad classification,
and they are further classified depending on the specific tissue
involved. As for your question about lymphoma of the brain, well, it
is usually due to metastasising tumours, i.e., secondary tumours
usually caused by rogue lymphoma cells getting into the central
nervous system. Primary tumours in the CNS are known to occur, but so
far as I know, the cause is not very well established.

It's just that I'm a research biologist, and I know about these
things. If it's too much information, I will desist.

-Shanti