AD - Innovative Bead Expo, tomorrow & Sunday, Doylestown, PA

Old June 20th 08, 02:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Patti

Default AD - Innovative Bead Expo, tomorrow & Sunday, Doylestown, PA

The Innovative Show is this weekend, Saturday, June 21 and Sunday 22
at the student center of Delaware Valley College, Doylestown, PA.
Check out their website at www.innovativebeadexpo.com for a list of
vendors and directions.

One of my friends, Nolly Gelsinger, will be there selling her
beautiful lampwork beads. One of her necklaces featuring her floral
beads was recently accepted into "Bead Dreams" and was on display at
the Bead & Button show.

This show traditionally has a good mix of vendors with gemstone beads,
especially Jade and Pearls, Bali, silver chain, various stringing
materials, seed beads, etc., along with lampwork, porcelain, and
brightly colored resin beads.

Another bead show, so soon after Bead & Button, life is good!!

Patti

Old June 22nd 08, 11:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Patti

I went to the show on Saturday afternoon. I just bought a few things
- two small lampwork beads from Joan Miller to use as the skirt for
the Hippo charm finding I bought at Bead & Button, some brightly
colored enameled brass chain from Yvonne at MyElements to use to hang
my frit earrings, some of those ribbon chains for the fused pendants I
made at B & B. I find with this hot weather we are having, I am
breaking out from sterling, and these seem less irritating, plus they
pick up the colors of the dichro slide. I also bought some clasps and
two pair of double star earrings from Silver in Style. Oops, I forgot
I bought some nickel free pewter toggles to use in teaching and some
pewter leaves to use for hanging drop earrings.

It was good to talk to Nolly and Yvonne. I was only there a short
time, but this quick fix will tide me over until Bead Fest in August!

I'm planning a work day tomorrow - I have to get some designs ready
for a demo-show this Fall, and I have some new beads to play with. I
also have decided to re-string a lampwork bracelet I had made for
sale. It has these beautiful beads from Kalera and I need to make it
longer so I can keep it instead.

So, what is everyone else working on?

Patti
Old June 23rd 08, 03:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Maren at google

On Jun 22, 12:46 pm, Patti wrote:
[...]

ggg my first home made glass beads.

I finally found some time to get a hothead kit, some extra mandrels
(am I ever glad I did. You try drying mandrels outside in somewhere
near 100% relative humidity. I started with 14 mandrels and ended
up with 5 where the bead release didn't crack), set myself up in the
carport (out of the almost no wind) and practiced bead making.

Little mostly crooked greenish beads that I haven't taken out of
the fiber blanket yet, better safe than sorry.

For the time being I'm just using the small 1lb propane bottles, we
have a few sitting around that are starting to rust and ought to be
used - and I ought to get new ones because hurricane season is
upon us if we get bad weather the power is likely to go out and
I want a few more to use with the Coleman lantern.

Obviously, no pictures yet as I haven't even looked at the beads
yet.

For the time being I'm just practicing making little round beads.
And I might update the blog later, when I have pictures.

Aloha,
Maren
Maren Purves
HiloBeads: Beads - Beading Supplies - Hand-made Jewelry
http://www.hilobeads.com/
Blog at: http://hilobeads.blogspot.com/
Old June 23rd 08, 07:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Carla

Hey Maren,

Can't wait to see what you're doing with the torch. I still can't even
get consistently sized beads. I'll never be making earrings, at this
point

Patti, so sorry I couldn't make it up to Milwaukee. Hopefully (again),
next year!

In the meantime, I've been fusing my a** off I was recently looking
into getting a "real" kiln, but decided that's way more trouble than I
want to be bothered with. In about a month, though, I hope to buy the
larger size MicroKiln. If you wanna see, new stuff is up on my flickr
site - http://www.flickr.com/ccdesigns

Cheers,
Carla

Old June 23rd 08, 03:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Shirley Shone

Lovely beads Carla.
The blue square really took my eye, so elegant.
Hugs
Shirley

In message , Carla
writes

--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old June 24th 08, 03:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Patti

Hi, Carla,
Great cabs! The black with dichro and the red and black ones are my
favorites!
B & B was great fun, but it was a quick trip. If I go next year, I
think I will spend one more day or take one less class. I didn't get
to hang out in the show for hours, like I usually do. A bead sister
and I are already talking about going next year. I have to save up
more vacation time.
Keep on fusing! I admire your lampworking as well, I don't have
enough guts to tackle open flame, lol.

Patti
Old June 24th 08, 04:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Maren at google

On Jun 22, 8:41 pm, Carla wrote:

In the meantime, I've been fusing my a** off I was recently looking
into getting a "real" kiln, but decided that's way more trouble than I
want to be bothered with. In about a month, though, I hope to buy the
larger size MicroKiln. If you wanna see, new stuff is up on my flickr
site -http://www.flickr.com/ccdesigns

Those are nice. I like the "surprise focal". And in my book the 14mm
dichro
squares are way similar enough for earrings. I was complaining about
one
pair of mine having come out all crooked, and somebody at work who
strings pretty amazing necklaces said "they're on the two sides of
your
head, nobody's ever going to notice that they're uneven"

Taking that advice I actually have (rather accidentally) 2 glass beads
that I consider "close enough for earrings" (2 of the greenish
(Chartreuse?)
cloudy ones). As I got up rather early I finally updated the blog,
even with pictures.

Carla, question: How big are your lampwork beads? I love those
cylindrical
ones, but I'm afraid to make any decent sized ones without a kiln.

And as Carla was talking about the next piece of equipment: more
mandrels,
more glass, and a kiln. The kiln may be a few months away.

Patti: the open flame isn't half as bad as you may think - once you
get past
the "whooosh" when you light the torch.

It's too bad that there isn't really enough daylight time here before
work, even
in the middle of summer. I feel like making some more beads, but the
sun is
still so low that the clouds are orange from underneath.

Aloha,
Maren
Old June 25th 08, 03:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Patti

Maren,
I found out that I couldn't handle open flame when I took
silversmithing. Not a good experience. The first time I went to the
Gathering, I went down to the room where Open Torch was being held, I
couldn't even go into the room. Now that is paranoid. This year I was
able to go to Open Torch (just to watch) at B & B. But, I still don't
want to try it. Of course, at least with lampworking the torch is
secured to a table, where in silversmithing, you have to hold it, but
still.....
Give me my sheet glass, a glass cutter and my great kiln with a
digital controller and I'm fine and happy.

Patti
Old June 25th 08, 04:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
turtlelover

Patti wrote:
Maren,
I found out that I couldn't handle open flame when I took
silversmithing. Not a good experience. The first time I went to the
Gathering, I went down to the room where Open Torch was being held, I
couldn't even go into the room. Now that is paranoid. This year I was
able to go to Open Torch (just to watch) at B & B. But, I still don't
want to try it. Of course, at least with lampworking the torch is
secured to a table, where in silversmithing, you have to hold it, but
still.....
Give me my sheet glass, a glass cutter and my great kiln with a
digital controller and I'm fine and happy.

Patti

Patti, thanks for something to ponder.

I'd love to learn silversmithing (for use as polymer clay bezels if nothing else),
but I haven't been able to work a propane torch properly to solder a simple
outside spigot! (For that matter, neither could DH; we're not very handy.)

As for lampworking, if I ever get up the nerve (and the $), that would be better
for me than glassblowing. I have problems with eye pressure, as well as occasional
ocular migraines.

Should I ever come into enough moolah, I'd love to do fused glass, as well.

All the best,
Turtlelover
Old June 25th 08, 10:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Maren at google

On Jun 25, 4:21 am, Patti wrote:
Maren,
I found out that I couldn't handle open flame when I took
silversmithing. Not a good experience. The first time I went to the
Gathering, I went down to the room where Open Torch was being held, I
couldn't even go into the room.

Apologies, never occurred to me. - I sometimes used to burn the weeds
in the driveway with a torch. People do that here. -

I've been thinking about silver smithing ...

Maren